RepackboxInline FabricationLoad DataSnyders Jerky
WidenersLee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Hepburn finally finished after a couple decades!

My Hepburn finally finished after a couple decades!

Last month at our OAC collector gun show I gave the stocks for my engraved Hepburn to my gunsmith friend so he could pass them along to an older gentleman to checker. A little back story on this gun, and the checkerer are in order.
    This was the first Hepburn I ever owned, and it came to me as a barreled action in .45-70, with two blocks of wood to make stocks from. All the metal was in the white, and needed final polishing, and barrel needed to be cut and crowned. I sent the two blanks of stock wood to Dave Crossno, and had the stocks cut to a long-range pattern with cheekpiece and shotgun butttplate inletted. When the stocks came back I did the final fitting, and applied 16 coats of Wipe On Poly, and hand rubbed them with rottenstone when done.
    I polished out all the metal, and had Dale Woody engrave the rifle, and color case, rust blue it also. Once it all was finished, I figured someday I'd get the stocks checkered, but someday took over 20 years to get around to!
    My gunsmith friend kept showing me work his checkerer was doing, and he told me the guy was an old retired logger, who was self taught, and at 85 yrs. old was still going strong! I figured now was my chance, and if I didn't get him to do the work I might never get around to it!
    So I passed the stocks to Gordy last month and this morning I saw him walk into the show with a couple packages under his arm, and knew what they were!

Not only did he do a wonderful job, with zero over runs, but once he'd finished the checkering he stained and sealed the raw checkering and when I got them back they were ready to install! First time I've ever seen a checkerer take the extra step of finishing his checkering, and I couldn't be happier! And when I asked what I owed, the price was half of what I expected to pay for such nice work! All around just a great experience!

Boolit Grand Master

That is an outstanding piece of work. Thanks for posting.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    That is an outstanding piece of work. Thanks for posting.
    Thanks! I sure am pleased with what he did. Glad I let him decide what he wanted to do on it.

Amazing rifle. Those old rollers are a true classic.

Boolit Master
    Very nice indeed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Baltimoreed View Post
    Amazing rifle. Those old rollers are a true classic.
    Thanks. But Hepburns aren't "rollers". Hepburn actions are falling block actions, not rolling block actions.

Boolit Master

Beautiful......
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Buddy

I have a Hepburn with its original stock. These rifles are classics. The checkering on your rifle is absolutely beautiful. I am not surprised that the gentleman who did this is somewhat older. I say somewhat older as am 85. His skill is unbelievable. We are loosing these skills at a rapid rate. I think you should shoot this rifle at every chance, as I am doing with mine.

Oh, Wow!!! A beautiful rifle with painstaking workmanship on both the wood and steel. Thank you for sharing your piece of artwork with us.

Boolit Master
    Exquisitely sublime, Vall. My compliments to all involved. Time now to shoot it!

Quote Originally Posted by old turtle View Post
    I have a Hepburn with its original stock. These rifles are classics. The checkering on your rifle is absolutely beautiful. I am not surprised that the gentleman who did this is somewhat older. I say somewhat older as am 85. His skill is unbelievable. We are loosing these skills at a rapid rate. I think you should shoot this rifle at every chance, as I am doing with mine.
    I have no idea how much ammo I've put through the Hepburn over the last 20 years, but it's not been a safe queen! Lots of shooting out to 1000 yds., as that's what I originally built it for. It's a very good shooting rifle that now looks better too.
    Actually just shot it at our annual long range shoot in October most recently.

Boolit Master
    Awesome rifle and story Val, thanks for sharing both the story and pics.

Quote Originally Posted by koger View Post
    Awesome rifle and story Val, thanks for sharing both the story and pics.
    You bet! Thanks!

Beautiful rifle!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    That sure is nice!

Thanks!
    I was at a friend's house yesterday picking up a Rolling Block 1867 pistol that he bought as a pair, and we split them. He reached into his safe and pulled out his engraved Hepburn in .45-70 and handed it to me to look at (drool over).
    His has a 30" extra heavy octagon barrel that's a good 1/8" larger than the receiver on each side! Fully engraved, with buffalo on the left side, fleur de lei checkering, exotic stocks, and a set of Kelly Long Range Soule, and globe sights! Made me weak in the knees!
    Then he tells me he's too old to shoot it, and is contemplating selling it! I told him I hoped he wasn't in a hurry to sell, as I'd love to own it, but timing was bad right now. He said he hadn't even decided for sure yet, but it will be up for sale sometime in the future. So he'll call me first and see if I can work out the finances once he decides when and how much he wants.

Boolit Master
    You have great taste in guns. Absolutely beautiful. I love hepburns

Quote Originally Posted by GARD72977 View Post
    You have great taste in guns. Absolutely beautiful. I love hepburns
    I love them too, but most are higher priced than I'd care to spend. I save a long time before I can make a big purchase, and Hepburns take a big chunk of my gun funds!
    I may have to sell something I'm not quite as in love with to be able to buy this other engraved Hepburn! But it's worth a sacrifice if it happens.

Boolit Buddy
    I think it was CS Landis who had written in an article that he favors a Hepburn varmint rifles for shooting out the window of a vehicle with. It was a long time ago but I still remember reading that and thinking to myself: I could see that.

Quote Originally Posted by JDHasty View Post
    I think it was CS Landis who had written in an article that he favors a Hepburn varmint rifles for shooting out the window of a vehicle with. It was a long time ago but I still remember reading that and thinking to myself: I could see that.
    The side lever would certainly help for that shooting method! Louis L Hepburn designed the Hepburn as a target rifle, and it wasn't supposed to be a typical Sporting Rifle. His side lever design was done to allow the gun to be loaded without changing the shooter's position. But the side lever also was a flaw if the shooter ever had a stuck case as there's not much leverage. A lot more leverage than a Rolling Block, but not like a typical underlever design has.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast