Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Load DataSnyders JerkyRepackboxWideners
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication

Thread: Tangent Theta scopes

Banned

Tangent Theta scopes

So Im building another ridiculous bolt action rifle and was starting to research scopes. I was initially considering a Leupold VX-5 or a Nightforce ATACR. I was watching some youtube vids by a guy who says hes an optical engineer and he does comparisons of high end scopes. He said the Leupold was basically just Meh, and the Nightforce doesnt really deliver either, especially not for the price. His preference was Tangent Theta or March I think. He calls himself Dark Lord of Optics on the youtubes btw.

Has anyone used these? Theyre canadian made which is a mild turn off for me, but they appear to be excellent. Is the cost over the ATACR really worth it? It is 2/3 more than the nightforce.

Boolit Grand Master

I have a couple of friends that are serious March Scope fanboys for competition rifles. They have enough money that they can have whatever they want. I know nothing about Tangent Theta scopes.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

At my last shop I used to do what we called a precision scope mount that involved setting the rifle up on an optical bench and making sure the scope's travel was dead nuts in line with the bore axis so you wouldn't get any windage problems at long range. We took the scopes through their adjustment range to measure the actual click value, amount of travel, straightness of travel, parallax adjustments, etc. Of hundreds of scopes by many makers, I could always find something wrong with them except for the Tangent Theta. That was the only perfect scope I ever tested. And yes, I used to be a March fanboy too until I started testing those. If money was no object there's no question that I would buy a Tangent Theta scope. BTW, the new ATACR Nightforce scopes are very, very good also.

Boolit Grand Master

2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    I have the Night Force 7-35 ATACR and the ZCO 5-25. I have never seen the Tangent in person.

On a bright day I cannot tell the difference in them. To be honest a Razor looks just as good on a bright day.

The difference really shines when it becomes overcast. I was shooting 22lr at paper targets @200yds with a buddy. He had 3 shots in the black but could only see 2. I asked him if he wanted to borrow the ZCO to see the third one.

The ZCO has Schott glass in the front and back but not the middle. My understanding is the Tangent are Schott.

I watched the same guy on YouTube. I think he is Russian or something.

I love good glass. I really don't have a need for either of these scopes but I love them. I would like to compare the ZCO to a Tangent. I'm sure there is a difference.

Boolit Master
    Attachment 321326

Vudoo in a JP Chassis 22lrAttachment 321327
    Styer Hunter Challenge PCP .177

https://opticsthoughts.com/?page_id=52

This man has been reading what he writes for years, lately I've been reading a lot about optics, so I don't know if he now plays for a factory or still has an objective opinion.
    But of all those who write, he is the one I believe the most.