RepackboxInline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load Data
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything

Thread: Winchester Centennial

Boolit Master

Winchester Centennial

I have found a Winchester 94 Centennial model in 30 30 with a brass receiver, octagon barrel, and brass forecap/buttplate. They are asking 795 for it. I paid 650 for a 1974 model 94 in 90% or better condition a few months ago. This one seems to be the same. Anybody have one with stories good and bad? I'm thinking it's worth the asking price.

Boolit Grand Master
    Winchester made so many commemorative rifles, they are kind of a drag on the market as collectibles. However, from what I have read they tend to be good shooters.

The price doesn't seem too out of line for these days.

Robert

Mine is the Frontiersman in 38-55 and shoots very accurate with cast boolits. Bought it new way back when they came out. Too many commemratives came along so never bought another. Would think your 30-30 would shoot well with quality ammo.

Boolit Buddy
    They are generally the best bang for the buck, especially if they are rifles with octagonal barrels. I have found them to produce the best accuracy of the '94's. Most of them have a collectable value of near zero.

Boolit Master
    Nicest thing about them is they're not worth more than the same age Winchester but they've hardly ever been fired. I had a bit of an obsession with buying them for a while, it always seemed like it was bought as an investment piece and then the realization that it's not worth as much as they thought.
    Sounds like a good price!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by sigep1764 View Post

I have found a Winchester 94 Centennial model in 30 30 with a brass receiver, octagon barrel, and brass forecap/buttplate

They are asking 795 for it.

I'm thinking it's worth the asking price.

I have quite a bit of experience with the various Winchester 94 commemoratives

AFAIK, the Winchester 94 commemoratives used a brass-plating finish on some of the model's receivers, not a real brass receiver.

Care must be taken when using tools with sharp edges (like a screwdriver blade) around the receivers, as the plating is easily chipped out around some edges, like screw holes. (also, some were plated in black chrome, like the NRA & Buffalo Bill models, to name but two)

While I personally won't pay over $600 for any commemorative in excellent condition (less if less than mint), if it floats your boat, follow your heart.

Last edited by pietro; 12-17-2023 at 09:23 PM.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Granted it's gunbroker but you can't find any winchester 94 commemoratives on there for under 1200.

Boolit Master
    This one appears to be unfired. No box. It's the Century of Winchester commemorative model. I wouldn't be buying it as an investment because it's a commemorative, it's just a very nice rifle with good wood. The octagonal barrel kind of hooked me. My two rifles with octagonal barrels are excellent shooters.

I have bought two commemoratives both in 38 55. One is gold plated and engraved the other is fine silver plated and engraved. I paid 700 for one and 800 for the other. Both are excellent shooters.

I have a Crazy Horse in 38-55 that I had D&Ted for a Skinner Peep, and a Buffalo Bill 30-30. Both are great shooters and don't have the lawyers safety garbage on them, which is the main reason for buying them. I wanted a full length rifle with out the safeties and shot out barrels.

Boolit Master
    That top.one is beautiful and very similar to the one I'm looking at

Boolit Master
    Well, I went and saw it. Wood almost 100%, as is the bluing. The brass needs a bit of polish and the action hasn't seen oil in 50 years. I put my money down on it. Pay it off and pick it up next month. He let me have it for 50 bucks less. I'm happy.