Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline FabricationWideners
Titan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First outing, .327 snub

Boolit Master

First outing, .327 snub

This was mostly just a "see if she goes bang" initial outing with the little Taurus 327. I used Starline brass and CCI 500 small pistol primers and shot offhand at about 10 yards. First load tried was the little .32 S&W "short" as opposed to "long," 2 grains of Unique under an 85-grain lead bullet. Recoil was of course minimal and the bullets struck low and right.
    Second batch was that same 85-grain bullet, but powder coated, over 5 grains of Bullseye in the full .327 case. These struck at 12 o'clock about three inches above the bull. Very pleasant to fire.
    The last five -- getting a bit snappy -- were closer to full-house: 12 grains of Accurate No. 9, my first use of this powder, printing pretty much dead center. Hodgdon's 2024 manual shows 11.7 of No. 9 at 1417 and 33,000, and a max of 13.0 at 1574 and 37,000 -- but with Winchester primers in Federal brass. I was getting light cratering with the CCI primers in the Starline, and am thinking Winchesters might be a little harder and worth trying. Otherwise I like the load for personal defense.
    The revolver cleaned up nicely. I've generally avoided Taurus handguns up to now, but this one might just be a keeper, and at about half the price of a Ruger SP101, which would have been my first choice.
    Props to Larry Gibson for supplying the cast bullets! I'll do a more serious test later, and bring along the chronograph.

Boolit Master
    Oh, I did learn one thing -- the Lee .32 H&R die set will indeed load .327 and .32 Long but it is most unsatisfactory for the smallest S&W, as the case mouth expander die and the crimp in the seating die will not reach far enough to do their job. You get shaved lead upon seating, and you can't apply a crimp. I am debating on whether to pay for the dedicated Lee .32 S&W set. If I decide to get one, I will stick with powder-coated bullets in the pipsqueak so that I don't deal with lead fouling in the middle of the chambers.

Nice Magnum snub!

Boolit Buddy
    Yes for around $350 they are worth a serious look if you like .32's.

Boolit Buddy

Bet that "lil"dog has quite a bark GW

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by G W Wade View Post
    Bet that "lil"dog has quite a bark GW
    That's what I was thinking - at those velocities.

I've been sitting on a really nice, old 32 WC mold, hoping some day to come across a gun for it. Our local farm store carries Taurus revolvers. If a 32 shows up there I'm going to jump on it. I never realized they generated those kinds of velocities.

Thanks for the report.

Boolit Master
    After reading reviews and watching Youtubes, I was expecting ear-splitting blast and uncomfortable recoil. I don't know what all these guys have been drinking, but this thing is sooo much easier on the hands and ears than say, a 2 1/2-inch Model 19 in .357.
    Now it could be that Accurate No. 9 is mellow in this department. As I said, it was the first time I used it.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Abert Rim View Post
    After reading reviews and watching Youtubes, I was expecting ear-splitting blast and uncomfortable recoil. I don't know what all these guys have been drinking, but this thing is sooo much easier on the hands and ears than say, a 2 1/2-inch Model 19 in .357.
    Now it could be that Accurate No. 9 is mellow in this department. As I said, it was the first time I used it.
    Right. I shot a full house 32 HRM in a 4 5/8 in Ruger and was awestruck by the blast and hard to believe shorter bbl and a longer case could be different. Glad your happy with it ENJOY GW

Boolit Grand Master
    The 32 S&W loads quite well in the Lee 32 ACP set, though you'll need a number 4 Shellholder, not the 7 that comes with it.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Grand Master
    I tried for years to get a Ruger Sp 101 in 327--no soap. I am interested in the 327 Taurus.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Buddy
    When they first announced these, they said they would have a 2" and a 3" and I decided to wait for the 3". After watching all the original 2" disappear then reappear, I'm doubting the 3" is real. I have the Redding die set, although it is marked for 32 Long and 32 Mag, the instructions say it will also load the 327. It doesn't mention the 32 S&W.

I'm glad to hear that the blast of the 327 is not as bad as many say, that does concern me. Although not the same thing, in 380 ACP when I switched from Titegroup to Acc 5, the recoil pulse was completely different with Acc 5 being softer and if memory serves it picked up a little speed as well.

Boolit Master
    Bill, I would expect more blast with a top-end load of 296, H110 or Longshot.

Boolit Master
    A friend on another forum mentioned that some members of the Shootists had been working with this 135-grain flat-point from Accurate in their .327s. I wonder what velocities they have gotten. It looks useful.
    https://accuratemolds.com/bullet_det...bullet=31-135S

I am a .32 fiend and particularly fond of the .32-20 so when I ran into a like new Tarus in .327 for cheap, I nearly burnt my hand getting the money out of my pocket. It is a dandy little 6 gun that functions and shoots as well as any Smith & Wesson. The .327 is more or less equal to the .32-20 HV loadings or the 7.62 Mauser cartridge, either one of which will spoil a bandit's day in short order. Don't know about the durability of the little Tarus but it surely seems solid.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Buddy
    I just saw these on GB the other day and wondered if anyone had experience with them....reports are sounding good...

Boolit Buddy
    I had also waited for the Taurus in 327 but ended up getting a 2in as I could. Not sure I ever saw a 3in one in that model.

Boolit Master
    327 snubbies are the best snubbies!
    That 6th shot is worth a lot.
    And if you’re up to it, 327 can be loaded to super nasty.
    If you’re not up to the earth shaking, fire breathing hand mashers, they can be downloaded to reasonable levels or even on down the scale to 32 H&R or less.

I just might have to find one of those Taurus 327 and try it out.
    Loving my little Ruger.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1679.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	83.6 KB 
ID:	321319
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

Banned
    how does the recoil and blast compare to normal 38 special?

Any chance of Taurus making a version in a full size gun like a model 66?

Boolit Grand Master
    I don’t know what the difference was, but the last time I took my 327s out to the club for a casual sooth, the noise and especially the recoil were much greater than I recalled. I was shooting 313316 bullets behind warm but well below max loads, but they were a lot more brisk than I expected. I guess I must be getting old. BTW, shooting was done through my custom stainless 4” K frame Smith, and my big Blackhawk stainless 8 shooter, do I had plenty of gun for the cartridge.
    Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    delfshooter, More!

Of course how much more depends on how you load each one.

At full throttle the 327 muzzle blast can be harsher than 357 simply because 327 is sanctioned by SAAMI for up to 45,000 psi. 357 is sanctioned for only up to 35,000 psi. So it CAN be that 327 has more pressure at the muzzle than 357. Really depends on the particulars of the load, gap and barrel length.

I think the take home message is 327 is pretty much on par with 357 in muzzle blast.

Recoil. Lots of variability here. But in general 327 will have recoil considerably more than typical 38 Special and can get close to mid level 357 loads.

That’s my experience.
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast