WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyLoad DataReloading EverythingLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading

Thread: I’ve been thinking of making a CZ 457 barrel

Boolit Buddy

I’ve been thinking of making a CZ 457 barrel

I’ve got a darn good Remington barrel that has no taper, 24 inches long .625 diameter and the bore is in nice shape. We have a CZ 457 in an At-One stock and it’s a pig. I’m thinking that I can scuff up that barrel and glue it into a piece of .188 wall 1” 6061 aluminum tubing with Loctite 262 and take a lot of weight off the rifle.

My motivation for doing this is that my son is really compact and although the stock shortens up to where he can shoot it, it is pretty heavy.

Unless I’m missing something it appears that there really isn’t anything any more complicated than making certain to get the dimensions right. I’ve been looking at the barrel tenon and it’s straight with a small relief groove at the shoulder. The extractor cuts are on the CL of the bore like most bolt action rimfires and it has a shelf that sits on the bolt guide preventing it from rotating. The barrel grub screws tighten up against shoulders that are created by a couple 90 degree cuts.

Boolit Buddy
    Weigh the rifle then weigh just the stock and just the barreled action then you will know what your dealing with.
    I'm guessing just the stock is heavier than you think. Also weigh just the barrel.

Boolit Buddy
    It’s a heavy stock. This will take it from 7.7 lbs down to close to 7 lbs and it will come off at the mid point of the barrel, or ten inches in front of the receiver. Hang a half pound from the front swivel stud and that tells the story. He’s got a 10/22 compact youth and a Remington 580, but he wanted a “sniper rifle” all summer. I put this together from a $329 457 American Synthetic and scrounged components then sold off the stock and barrel. He’s convinced that all that is standing between and wiping out an entire ground squirrel brigade is proper ordinance.

The neighbor has a left over two foot stick of 6061 that is .624 ID and 1 inch OD. I’m thinking that I can put this together for nothing more than the cost of a can of Cerakote and a little time.
    Last edited by JDHasty; 12-17-2023 at 05:08 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Cutting the barrel will take some weight out and not affect accuracy if crowned properly. IIRC those barrels are just over 24" long. Keep at 16.5" to give you some wiggle room to be sure you are legal. (16" IIRC)

You can take off the butt plate and drill out some wood. Plus, route out some wood from under the barrel. Those laminated stocks are heavy.
    Don Verna