Reloading EverythingLoad DataTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
RepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Snyders Jerky

Thread: Cast in DPMS LR308

Cast in DPMS LR308

I have try to shoot cast in the DPMS LR308 . The problem is from the recoil the boolits move and mess up on the feed . yes I put a crimp on them , I had talked with a gunsmith about it, he said there is others that have that problem and then stay with jacket bullets . Dose anyone have any idea of how to not have the bullets move like they do ? I have no problem with jackets. I know that bullet design matters . other then that .
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

IF you wash the brass with pins and dawn, and powder coat the bullets, THEN when the boolits are seated and crimped the bullets grab inside the necks and resist telescoping into the cartridge casings.

Boolit Master
    Many have great success with the M1 and cast, so the problem may be with the 308's shorter neck. Perhaps a harder bullet,with less chance of swaging down when seating down in a tight neck. Also, are you tumble lubing, and leaving lube on the bearing surface of the bullet ?

I size and lube all my boolits, I use the Lyman 450 .

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by trapper9260 View Post
    I size and lube all my boolits, I use the Lyman 450 .
    It is not a good idea to use raw lead and loose lubes in a gas port system. It will not hurt you just might end up having to replace the gas system in time. With that said the answer to your question is simple. Neck tension. Make sure your brass is annealed well and you are seating to the grove with a factory crimp die. I have tossed many a projectile down the pipe of a semi auto without issues.

One more thing is to make sure the bullet profile fits well into the chamber with the style feed ramp in the dpms lars 308. I hope this helps out a bit.

I could tell you a story how I had some 45 acp brass that would not hold a projectile of any kind in place. After annealing the case the issue was solved but I think you have a different issue of lack of factory crimp in the crimp grove. Try some of the stuff suggested if you already have done all that let us know and we will keep on working on the issue with you.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Quote Originally Posted by Outer Rondacker View Post
    It is not a good idea to use raw lead and loose lubes in a gas port system. It will not hurt you just might end up having to replace the gas system in time. With that said the answer to your question is simple. Neck tension. Make sure your brass is annealed well and you are seating to the grove with a factory crimp die. I have tossed many a projectile down the pipe of a semi auto without issues.

One more thing is to make sure the bullet profile fits well into the chamber with the style feed ramp in the dpms lars 308. I hope this helps out a bit.

I could tell you a story how I had some 45 acp brass that would not hold a projectile of any kind in place. After annealing the case the issue was solved but I think you have a different issue of lack of factory crimp in the crimp grove. Try some of the stuff suggested if you already have done all that let us know and we will keep on working on the issue with you.
    Yes this explained more to me why I have the problem .Am I better off to tumble lube them after sizing with the Lee Alox for lube them?

Shot many PCd cast from my dpms ar10, works fine. Neck tension is the answer!! Not the crimp. I just used Lee FCD to remove the bell at the mouth.
    I sized bullets 310, Don't remember the size of the expander - should be about 307-308. PCd 168gr rnfp GCd. I didn't try LLA or BLL as I shot full power. I used the dmps metal mags, Pmags didn't work very well. If you have mag recoil problems, you got NO neck tension. Every once in a while I got over-run in the mag but more often it was cycling problem, case gets pulled forward in mag so it doesn't hit the feed ramp correctly causing a nose bump. GK has the rifle now and he just shoots jacketed. I used accurate 31-168C & D. I had the nose cut a couple thous smaller so PC didn't effect chambering. Don't use the mould anymore.
    Whatever!

Am I better off to tumble lube them after sizing with the Lee Alox to lube them? Then to lube and size them like I normally do .

Boolit Master
    Can you do this yes. Should you well probably not. You could clog up the system that cycles the action. The reason we use powder coat on bullets is it bonds to the projectile. The same goes for certain powders being dirtier than others. If you are going to keep on the traditional lube you just must understand it could cause problems down the road. Problems that can be fixed when they come to light.

So the answer is yes you can do it either way it wont mater but know it might cause issues.

I use BLL to lube PB in the AR 300BO. It works and does NOT foul the gas system. These run about 16-1800 fps, (limit of LLA). I don't push lubed cast faster in my ARs.
    Whatever!

Ok thank you all for your help, I did not think about what it would to the gas system. This explained alot to me now and thanks to all of you to go into details about it all so I understand better . I know for the rifle to cycle, I need to push them about 2700 fps . That is what I found . right now I been using jacket because of no problems like I had. I am not set up for PC or have anything for it . That is why I asked about Lee Alox . Now I know that is out of the picture to use.

You do NOT need to push that fast! Mine did fine @ 2400 (168gr). Go to a slower powder to keep pressure up at the port.
    Whatever!

ok can I use Lee Alox for the lube with out the problem I been having ? why I ask about the Alox I have it on hand . If I am to get into PC where do I start for supplies ?

Boolit Grand Master

With lubed cast bullets, LLA won't hold up at 2700 fps w/o giving leading. Accuracy won't hold up either unless you are just "blasting" at close range because of the 10" twist in the barrel.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    With lubed cast bullets, LLA won't hold up at 2700 fps w/o giving leading. Accuracy won't hold up either unless you are just "blasting" at close range because of the 10" twist in the barrel.
    Thanks Larry . Where can I get supplies for PC ?

Boolit Master
    I would go with Smokes starter pack and do shake and bake.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...bullets/page79

Quote Originally Posted by Outer Rondacker View Post
    I would go with Smokes starter pack and do shake and bake.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...bullets/page79
    Ok thank you very much for all your help for all that posted to help me . I was not going to give up on shooting cast in my semi auto 308 win. . Now I know why I been have problems like I stated and now for all your help to solve it now. any other information you think I need to know . on this forum I normally get the help for what ever problem I have . Please let me know .Thank you all again for your help looking forward anything else there is to know.

Update , I finally got to test out the rounds out yesterday since it was warm enough for me to test them ,that you all help me with and everything worked out the way it should and better then I thought it would. Thanks again all. Smokes help also .