Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWideners
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Repackbox RotoMetals2

Thread: Anyone try Isotunes Sport hearing protection?

Boolit Master

Anyone try Isotunes Sport hearing protection?

I’ve been more into wood working lately than shooting but I recently got a pair of the isotunes shop grade hearing protection (recertified pro 1.0 units are only $30) and love them in the shop. I’m not one for big ear muffs so I’m debating these for shooting:

https://isotunes.com/products/advance-bt

Pretty much every woodworker on YouTube uses the shop ones but haven’t seen any reviews of the shooting grade plugs.

I typically use plugs and muffs at the range but neither is ideal for hunting, these look like they might be the ticket!
    Thanks for the link!

Moderator Emeritus

I could never get a good fit with those types of ear pieces. I either use the over ear for woodworking or my custom fitted mold injection (no idea what they are called but they conform to your ear canal) for shooting/machinery noise, etc. They are not cheap but they are very good. I wear them with the bone induction Bluetooth for music which works well as a combo. Good luck.
    Ron

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by BobT View Post
    I typically use plugs and muffs at the range but neither is ideal for hunting, these look like they might be the ticket!
    Thanks for the link!
    Happy to help. A lot of woodworker content creators are sponsored by isotunes. I am not sponsored but StumpyNubs had a coupon code working for the next few days.

https://shop.isotunes.com/stumpy100

Spend $100+ get a free pair of the 1.0s ($70 value)

I dipped my toe in with https://isotunes.com/products/isotun...er-refurbished and they had a 30% off promo for Black Friday so I thought it was worth the lower investment fee, now I’m kinda regretting not just going for a newer 2.0 pair.

Quote Originally Posted by StuBach View Post
    Happy to help. A lot of woodworker content creators are sponsored by isotunes. I am not sponsored but StumpyNubs had a coupon code working for the next few days.

https://shop.isotunes.com/stumpy100

Spend $100+ get a free pair of the 1.0s ($70 value)

I dipped my toe in with https://isotunes.com/products/isotun...er-refurbished and they had a 30% off promo for Black Friday so I thought it was worth the lower investment fee, now I’m kinda regretting not just going for a newer 2.0 pair.

I just ordered a set of Advance BTs, they have a 20% military discount through GovX, I didn't see this post until I had already ordered or I would have tried to double up. We'll see how they work for my specialty pistols, they can get really loud!

Boolit Master
    Nice, sorry for my timing but I also just got this ad from them, 25% off:

https://isotunes.com/pages/december-...MJLDyuJ.Nhzn82

Boolit Master
    I just ordered a set of Advance BTs, they have a 20% military discount through GovX, I didn't see this post until I had already ordered or I would have tried to double up. We'll see how they work for my specialty pistols, they can get really loud!
    Please let me know your thoughts. I don’t do big stuff (loudest I have is my 44Mag or 1903 30-06) but I will be teaching young shooters soon so active hearing will be nice to have.

Nice, sorry for my timing but I also just got this ad from them, 25% off:

https://isotunes.com/pages/december-...MJLDyuJ.Nhzn82
    No worries!

Please let me know your thoughts. I don’t do big stuff (loudest I have is my 44Mag or 1903 30-06) but I will be teaching young shooters soon so active hearing will be nice to have.
    They came in todays mail, pretty quick shipping. I got them out and tried them on, the fit is pretty good, I think they'll be more comfortable than the muffs but I'll know more tomorrow, our alternative deer season opens in the morning and I have a couple of pistols ready to go. I had to charge them before using, they were completely discharged but I plugged them in and they charged up in a couple of hours. First impressions, I looked at the included quick start guide and didn't really get much from it but I'm old, I'm sure the grandkids would be right at home. I powered the unit on and played with the controls a little, they seem pretty intuitive to me. There is some static but I don't think it's quite as bad as the Walker's muffs I have been using for years. I didn't try the Bluetooth functions yet but probably will at some point in the near future. More later!

Boolit Master

No worries!

They came in todays mail, pretty quick shipping. I got them out and tried them on, the fit is pretty good, I think they'll be more comfortable than the muffs but I'll know more tomorrow, our alternative deer season opens in the morning and I have a couple of pistols ready to go. I had to charge them before using, they were completely discharged but I plugged them in and they charged up in a couple of hours. First impressions, I looked at the included quick start guide and didn't really get much from it but I'm old, I'm sure the grandkids would be right at home. I powered the unit on and played with the controls a little, they seem pretty intuitive to me. There is some static but I don't think it's quite as bad as the Walker's muffs I have been using for years. I didn't try the Bluetooth functions yet but probably will at some point in the near future. More later!
    Thanks. I’m on a trip with the family and one of my AirPod pros started acting up (second time this has happened but last time they were in warranty) so I ordered a set of the Caliber BT and the Advance BTs to see which one I like better as an every day pod as well as for shooting. Looking forward to seeing what ones I end up keeping (if not both). Also took advantage of the two free pairs of the lighter weight ones too so may end up giving those away or using not sure.

Boolit Master
    I also spoke to an audiologist friend of mine and he said that these seem like pretty solid units for hearing protection rating. He didn’t have many experience with them personally but took a look at their specs and agreed they are solid.

Boolit Buddy
    I've been running a set of these all year. Primarily for work travel to kill noise in-flight, but also while running power equipment doing yardwork. I've worn them a few times while shooting.

They're comfortable, and I can wear them all day. They work for shooting, but I find my custom molded plugs or muffs to be a better option for overall noise reduction.

The ambient sound feed-through on mine has a hum/buzz, so I keep it turned down all the way almost 100% of the time.

The volume control is very non-linear at the lowend. There are quite a few clicks before the volume comes up to an audible level, and they don't get as loud as the bt headset I was using before these.

I've enjoyed them, but I'd only buy them again if I can't find a better alternative when they die or won't hold a charge anymore.

Battery life is about 4-6 hr at max volume.

Well, I gave them a pretty good workout over the last couple of days, They are more comfortable than the Walker Razor muffs I have been wearing for the last few years. I used the large foam plugs and they worked very well as far as noise reduction, I will probably try the medium plugs also and see if they will work as well, I think they might be a little more comfortable. While I haven't seen a deer I wanted to shoot yet I did have the opportunity to take a coyote yesterday morning and the Isotunes worked as advertised, suppressing the report of the pistol instantaneously and effectively. Overall I like the Isotunes and I think they will replace the muffs entirely while hunting, for range use I'll still wear the Walkers and foam plugs under them. The Isotune Advance BT was not quite what I hoped for as far as amplification is concerned but they do offer a little, I turned them to max volume and left them there. After they shutoff they don't return quite as quickly as the Walkers I have used in the past but it's really not too bad, just takes a couple of seconds longer. One other minor issue was a little static noise but it wasn't too bad. The controls are easy to get used to and easy to operate, overall I like them and would recommend them based on the few hours I have used them. Time will tell how they hold up and I'll try to remember to update this post as I get more time on them.

Double protection has been my thing for years, plugs and sound clipping muffs are my choice for shooting but wear the muffs only on the tractors, riding mower and leaf blower.

Boolit Master
    So I got a pair of the advance and a pair of caliber.

The caliber have become my every day pocket AirPods. Replacing a set of AirPod pros that I had previously. I find them more comfortable and have better functionality. Using them for music is not quite as robust as the AirPods, but definitely suits my needs very well without the static that my AirPod pros developed. I do tend to turn the aware all the way off when using just because I prefer to not have it but when I do have it turned on it’s nice so I can hear the kids. Tried them out shooting today and they serve very well and I barely noticed when they would dampen the shooting report. But the damping was significant.

Switched over to the Advance and found that I liked them even more. I liked the lighter feel in the ear and they seemed to dampen even more. The aware technology worked as advertised and it was nice to hear the other shooters coming and going when needed and turning off quick when I wanted to focus.

I do notice the slight ambient noise you get with most application systems I’ve heard but you get accustomed to it quickly and it effectively goes away.

Only critique I would give the Advance is the cord is maybe 1 inch too short for my taste. I’m a larger guy with a large neck and the magnetic buds for storing around your neck is worthless for me.

Like others have said, I’ll keep posting my findings and reviews as I think to but as of right now I would highly recommend.

I would say though, the Sport version of their aware technology is not greatly suited for woodworking in my opinion. For that I prefer the refurbished IsoTune Pros I got several months ago.