RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad DataSnyders Jerky
WidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Repackbox Inline Fabrication

Thread: 350 legend once fired Ringed brass???

Boolit Buddy

350 legend once fired Ringed brass???

I have a pile of winchester brass fired by my 2 guns. It was factory loads and I believe winchester stumped there toe when putting powder in or seared too deep. Some of it has a ring at the base. Can feel it with fingernail. Like the case head expanded a bit.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    I cut one with a dremel cutt off wheel. I can feel no indentation on the inside of the brass. Is this basiaclly just cosmetic and the brass safe for moderate reloads?

Drops right in case gauge, chamber.

Boolit Bub
    did this appear after firing, or did you notice it before?
    Could be a chamber causing this, once fired, the brass is expanding to chamber shape.
    you could try to resize and see what it looks like. It doesn't really look like case / head separation.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by SquibCity View Post
    did this appear after firing, or did you notice it before?
    Could be a chamber causing this, once fired, the brass is expanding to chamber shape.
    you could try to resize and see what it looks like. It doesn't really look like case / head separation.

That is a resized piece of brass. The ring happens upon resizing. I have not loaded for Rifles in a great many years.

Boolit Master

No issue. The case expanded to chamber, when resized it left a bit of a step where the die stopped sizing. If your die had a bit more radius or taper at the entrance, you might never have seen/noticed it.

Basically, the chamber is a bit sloppy and the sizing die is tight. What you see is the result.

Boolit Buddy
    Thank You gents.

Check the length of the cartridges, I bought some 145 fmjs when they first started shipping and had some that were showing pressure signs. Turns out they were too long and not letting bullet release. What do the primers look like?

Moderator Emeritus
    If the brass sized down that much, you might be over sizing it for YOUR rifle. Back the die out a couple turns and size another case. If it fits your chambers see if a bullet has sufficient neck tension. If it does, you are all set. If not, screw the die down 1/2 turn and try again.

There is no good reason to oversize and then just have the brass blow out again.

Boolit Buddy
    Brass lengths are ALL OVER the place. From Max to way too short. All Winchester brass. Obviously the short ones getting tossed

Boolit Master

Size them before you measure them. They are likely to be several thousandths longer after sizing

Boolit Buddy
    Yes Sir. I did and they were all over the place. Some were still too short. I fired them all today and just got done resizing. All is well.

Boolit Buddy
    I kinda gave up on 350 legend, first doesn't feed well in ar15, (I did all the tricks, ramps, mags, removing oring under the extractor) and the feeding issues caused bullet set back and high pressure (bullet profile just not right for feed angles in ar). Then Winchester brass is to long, to short and just plain ****, high pressure again. I would have loved to make 350 work with cast bullets in an ar15, would have been great with a suppressor and heavy subsonic bullets, but finally settled on 9mm pcc and 300 blk. The 350 upper had a barrel change to 300 blk pistol gas 16 in barrel and I am much happier.

Just keep an eye on bullet setback and case length, not a lot of room for error with that much magnum pistol powder. Hope you have the success that eluded me.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_kaleigh View Post
    I kinda gave up on 350 legend, first doesn't feed well in ar15, (I did all the tricks, ramps, mags, removing oring under the extractor) and the feeding issues caused bullet set back and high pressure (bullet profile just not right for feed angles in ar). Then Winchester brass is to long, to short and just plain ****, high pressure again. I would have loved to make 350 work with cast bullets in an ar15, would have been great with a suppressor and heavy subsonic bullets, but finally settled on 9mm pcc and 300 blk. The 350 upper had a barrel change to 300 blk pistol gas 16 in barrel and I am much happier.

Just keep an eye on bullet setback and case length, not a lot of room for error with that much magnum pistol powder. Hope you have the success that eluded me.
    Well, it hasn't been too rough actually. I read a ton of threads on here and other sites. Settled on a mould. Mp 358-200 as was suggested by several forum members.
    Load data was the biggest issue. I Chose loads for the .357 Maximum. I am deepseating this slug up on the front driving band. With that said, I am well over the length specified for the .357 Maxi load.
    I have read that the 296/h110 doesn't play well with the 350 in an AR. I believe this to be true. My ringed brass came from the cheap 145 gr winchester target loads......fired from my AR. Makes sense they would use their flagship powder to load them. I straigtened out what I could and will only run that brass in the AR until is is all trashed. My AR is rough on the brass with thay factory load. It is not near as rough on the brass with the factory 180s.

TAPER CRIMP just until the bell is gone with a Hornady die...and a hair more. I had issues with the Lee sizer as well as their crimp die.

I have not had but a couple failures to feed and it's always the last round in the magazine. It doesnt beat the brass or the round up when chambering. If I seat any farther out, the round contacts the rifling hard. It runs like a top.

Brass all gets run through the trimmer after every firing, wheter it needs it or not.

I have since gathered up 400 pieces of starline brass. Load works well in 2 ruger bolt guns, 1 ruger AR pattern gun and another Savage bolt gun. Should be a good hog thumper. Have plans to put the round to work from 3 different guns this weekend, on deer or hogs, whatever shows up at everyones blind first. I am only running this load to 1700fps. We shall see.