Inline FabricationLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
RepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Wideners Reloading Everything

Thread: Another Hi Power question

Another Hi Power question

I'm having a great time with this SA-35, but I'm starting to wish that it had an adjustable sight. I have a Colt 1911 with a buried Bomar rear sight on it, and have been laying awake nights wondering if the same treatment would work on a Hi Power. I know somebody makes a replica of the BMCS , but thats all I know about it. Does anybody know who makes it, and whether there is enough meat on a HP for low mounting?

Boolit Master
    I see Brownells and Numrich have some adjustable rear sights in stock for the Browning Hi-Power.
    Will they fit on a Springfield SA-35?
    Hmmmm….?
    Someone needs to be the first to try. Looks like the opportunity is yours!
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

Boolit Master

Unfortunately, the Hi Power's lack of "meat" is its main item of appeal. FN did factory installs of Millett sights (IIRC) back in the 1990's with correspondingly tall front sights, which to me always looked out excessively tall and out of place - kind of like taking the dorsal fin off of a great white shark and attaching it to your kid's goldfish.

Probably not the answer you want, but the Springfield version has dovetails both front and rear, so it is "adjustable" after a fashion. Dawson Precision's website has a very helpful "sight math" section with a calculator that lets you plug in your existing variables and how much elevation correction you need. From there, it's just a matter of finding a manufacturer who makes the necessary height front blade.

Best way I can think of to dial in for your load and still keep it looking like a Hi Power.

Now, if Springfield decides to bring back the version with the shoulder stock and 500 meter tangent sight. . .
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Buddy
    I don't know anything about the SA35 nor the Hi Power's "lack of meat." I'm guessing a "buried" rear sight is akin to the Micro low-mount rear site, of which I've appended photos which may or may not be of use.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1218.jpg   IMG_1219.jpg  

A Bomar (there are several copies on the market) is low mounted -- i.e. buried -- by milling the top of the slide deep enough to remove the factory dovetail cut, then milling the Bomar dovetail cut, and drilling and tapping a hole for the elevation screw. The 1911 firing pin -- being designed for a. 45 -- sits lower than the Hi Power pin, leaving more metal to work with.

The Micro in the pix El B sent is not low mounted, and would require a higher front sight. If given the Bomar treatment, it might protrude into the firing pin space, too.

I am considering adapting a S&W revolver sight.

Boolit Master

Back in the 70s, the old Miniature Machine Company (MMC), of Deming, NM, produced sweet little miniature fully adjustable rear sights for use in standard factory dovetails, including the FN Hi-Power. They worked with factory front sights and show up now and then on the bay.

Boolit Master
    Here's a Kensight, installed by Bobby Tyler at Tyler Gun Works in Friona, Texas.

Dick

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by fourarmed View Post

The Micro in the pix El B sent is not low mounted, and would require a higher front sight. If given the Bomar treatment, it might protrude into the firing pin space, too.s
    When the illustrated Micro sight was installed, it was advertised as the low mounted version, a term which has obviously changed with the times. Some material was removed from the slide behind the dovetail, but I believe it uses the original dovetail. As best I recall it was installed by MMC when they were still in Deming , but 'sweet and miniature' it ain't, and has been pointed out, uses a higher front sight.

After decades of experience with this pistol I wish I'd chosen a quality fixed rear sight--but I would still want a replacement for the factory front sight. But that's just me.

Sixshot, that looks like what I had in mind. It's mounted farther forward than the usual 1911 installation, maybe because it would interfere with the hammer if it overhung the rear.

EL B, looking closer, I see that yours is set just about as low as Sixgun's Kensight. Now I'm going to have to do more headscratching.

Thanks, guys. As usual, this board is the best.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by El Bibliotecario View Post
    When the illustrated Micro sight was installed, it was advertised as the low mounted version, a term which has obviously changed with the times. Some material was removed from the slide behind the dovetail, but I believe it uses the original dovetail. As best I recall it was installed by MMC when they were still in Deming , but 'sweet and miniature' it ain't, and has been pointed out, uses a higher front sight.

After decades of experience with this pistol I wish I'd chosen a quality fixed rear sight--but I would still want a replacement for the factory front sight. But that's just me.
    When it was originally designed the MMC was one of the lower profile adjustable sights for the 1911. In laws lived in Deming and we talked to the owner of MMC a few times. He was a bit rough around the edges.

The Colt NM sight was almost the same height (same as the one on the Python). Once the Colt pin was replaced it even stayed in place But, some folks got their gunsmiths to install S&W sights on the 1911 and that was a pretty decent combo. Later on there were many choices. I went back to fixed sights on my 1911s. I also like the dovetailed front sights. Gives more options for sight width and height.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    Unfortunately, the Hi Power's lack of "meat" is its main item of appeal. FN did factory installs of Millett sights (IIRC) back in the 1990's with correspondingly tall front sights, which to me always looked out excessively tall and out of place - kind of like taking the dorsal fin off of a great white shark and attaching it to your kid's goldfish.

Probably not the answer you want, but the Springfield version has dovetails both front and rear, so it is "adjustable" after a fashion. Dawson Precision's website has a very helpful "sight math" section with a calculator that lets you plug in your existing variables and how much elevation correction you need. From there, it's just a matter of finding a manufacturer who makes the necessary height front blade.

Best way I can think of to dial in for your load and still keep it looking like a Hi Power.

Now, if Springfield decides to bring back the version with the shoulder stock and 500 meter tangent sight. . .

I replaced the original fragile (bent) factory adjustable sight on my 70's vintage HP with a white line Millet adjustable, myself. Wasn't any need to change the front staked on sight.

Winelover