RotoMetals2Inline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRepackboxLoad Data
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading

Thread: 45 Auto Ball Mould?

Boolit Master

45 Auto Ball Mould?

I've got a few 45 cal pistols that have no throat. I have a reamer on the way, but still I was looking for a good projectile that will plunk while still having a longer OAL. The Lee 452-228-1R doesn't work for me. To get them to plunk I have to seat them so deep they become unreliable.

From what I gather, the Lyman 452374 is supposed to mimic the shape of a true jacketed ball round. I'm hoping this would feed in everything 45auto no matter if it's throated or not.

Does anyone have experience with this one or suggest something better?

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    #452374 is more tapered than GI bullet and should fit.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    #452374 is more tapered than GI bullet and should fit.
    Perfect. Thanks so much.

Boolit Buddy
    I have the Lyman Mould. As stated it is a bit mpre tapered than a regular ball round. I bought the 4 gang mold many years ago and tried all kinds of Voodoo witch magic, but never got a slug big enough in diameter to make it work. I shelved it. Tried everything up to straight Linotype. No joy.
    Once I started powdercoating, I remembered the mould. It bumped up the size just enough to make one of the best bullets for my ACP.

I shoot it in a myriald of 1911s as well as a glock 41. Works like a champ now.

Pictured slug recovered from feral swine. Hog was way too far to be shooting with a 45 acp and didn't deform at all. Range scrap. We put lead in them with whatever is handy around here. Cockroaches.

Last edited by Elpatoloco; 12-16-2023 at 07:39 PM.

Boolit Master

The LBT 452-230-LFN is the slickest feeding cast 1911 bullet I've encountered. . .and it's got enough meplat to do some nice crushing while passing through your target.

The Accurate 45-230H is basically the same profile in a tumble lube format. The 230A also very close. Pretty simple with either one - just seat the entirety of the full diameter shank to the case mouth. I've also had good luck with the 230F, which has a slightly longer nose and is a little more "no brainer" in that there is an actual step from full diameter to ogive. Might be a better choice if your throats have no appreciable leade.

If your nose taper starts at the case mouth, and your taper crimp die is giving that mouth the spec .473" outside diameter, you should have no problems.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

I use the RCBS 230gr LRN. Functions perfectly.

Boolit Master
    I bought the Lyman mould and the data wants these long around 1.275 OAL. That's fine for chambering but God help you if you need to pull a live round of the chamber. So I seated the bullet to 1.255 which will clear the ejection port with an unfired cartridge and it was having feeding problems in my 1911.

What kind of OAL do you guys use with this bullet?

Boolit Grand Master

I've had a 4 cavity Lyman 452374 for several year. have cast a couple thousand bullets with it using alloy giving 12 - 13 BHN. They weight 224 gr and drop at .453. I size and lube at .452 and shoot them in my M1911s, P14, Contender and M98 Rhineland conversion. I load them over 5 gr Bullseye. Not had a single FTF. OAL is 1.27".
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Grand Master

The Lee 452-228-1R just isn't shaped right ... it's the 1R ... it should be a 2R !
    It was the very first Lee mould I ever bought and never worked in the 1911 , it has been the only mould I have sold ...for 50 cents at a yard sale and I warned the guy it was a dog but he had a revolver and wanted it anyway .

Mould #2 ... Lyman 452374 ... Winner Winner Chicken Dinner !
    This has a 2R nose design and fits the 1911 much better... no feeding issues with this one in 5 different 45 acp semi-auto's ..
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    The Lyman didn't work in my Tisas, even loaded out to 1.270. Wouldn't even chamber, but my Kahr PM45 ate them up just fine.

I tested many loads in the Tisas and the only one that works is the Lee Truncated Cone seated a little longer than recommended at 1.250.

Boolit Master
    Do you need a ball nose? Are SWC or TC acceptable options?

Boolit Master

I'm fond of the SAECO #457 230 RN, but only because I somehow acquired one - might be hard to find but I like that the ledge between shank and ogive is forgiving of lack of barrel leade.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	colors.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	56.3 KB 
ID:	321924
    My Iraq Pics

Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club