WidenersSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad DataRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bought one of the new Marlin 1894s in .357 Mag.

Boolit Grand Master
    George,
    The "secret" to getting .38 Spl to work in some 1894's is to seat the bullet out a bit further. I have never had an issue with either of my Marlins running 1.54 COL.

They had to run fast to be competitive in CAS. I could get off 10 shots in 5-6 seconds. The really good guys were about 3 seconds. This with "tuned" 1894's.

Edited to add:
    I was getting ten shot 1" groups at 30 yards with "mouse phart" loads. I need to see how the gun shoots at longer range with .38+P loads once the weather gets better. Surprised the gun reviewed did not do better. I would not be a happy with 3" groups at 50 yards from a $1000 gun.
    Don Verna

Congrats on the new Ruglin! I purchased my first Marlin back in October, a JM 1894 cowboy limited in 45 colt. It indeed is a rifle that will be with me until the day I die.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    Strange, my '82 model eats .38 all day long.
    FergusonTO35 -- I "hear you" -- as I have through the years, heard this from others. What I've heard, too, is that this was a known problem to Marlin, which was remedied in 1980 or 1981. This is why I included the serial number of mine. It shoots .357 Magnum rounds "all day long" with nary a hitch, but the action in early models really is a jam-o-matic if .38 S&W Special cartridges are loaded! The SASS writes, "The old Marlin rifle jam shooting 38's in a 357", if you wish to Google this article. Also, there's an interesting YouTube re it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEwTgM5pcuE which is titled, "Field Clearing The Dreaded Marlin Lever Gun Carrier Jam. The problem is if/when shorter-than-.357 Magnum COL cartridges are attempted, and Marlin's "solution" is to load .38 S&W Special to .357 Magnum overall cartridge lengths.
    Me? As I wrote, I purchased the Cowboy Version 1894 .357 which marvelously functions using anything I've tried -- including .38 S&W Specials.
    The OP on this thread is fortunate that his -- and, apparently yours -- do not have this malady!
    geo

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    George,
    The "secret" to getting .38 Spl to work in some 1894's is to seat the bullet out a bit further. I have never had an issue with either of my Marlins running 1.54 COL.

They had to run fast to be competitive in CAS. I could get off 10 shots in 5-6 seconds. The really good guys were about 3 seconds. This with "tuned" 1894's.

Edited to add:
    I was getting ten shot 1" groups at 30 yards with "mouse phart" loads. I need to see how the gun shoots at longer range with .38+P loads once the weather gets better. Surprised the gun reviewed did not do better. I would not be a happy with 3" groups at 50 yards from a $1000 gun.
    Don -- In my youth the Rifleman t.v. show was one of my favourites, with Chuck Conners using either of two 1892 Winchesters in its filming (and a Spanish-made clone for stunt-work) each having a small machine bolt running through a tapped and threaded hope in the lever which enabled -- with proper adjustment -- this screw's tip to move the trigger sufficiently to fire off another shot simply by totally closing the lever! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rifleman 1892.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	27.9 KB 
ID:	321181
    Your post made me wonder -- are such modifications "legal" in CAS? (I kind of always wanted to drill/tap one of mine, but...)
    geo

Congratulations and happy birthday! It looks darn nice in the pics. I’ve yet to handle one in person, but it looks good.

I know that Turnbull does a lot of Rugers. I bet they’ll get ahold of some, that ought to be interesting.
    BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets

Lead Alloy Calculator

Boolit Bub
    Looks like you have a great rifle.
    I am wanting a .357 lever action as well, so why get the Marlin over a Henry or one of the Italian rifles?
    Not wanting to stir up anything just looking for advice.

Boolit Master

Congratulations on the new rifle. Happy Birthday!
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by georgerkahn View Post
    Don -- In my youth the Rifleman t.v. show was one of my favourites, with Chuck Conners using either of two 1892 Winchesters in its filming (and a Spanish-made clone for stunt-work) each having a small machine bolt running through a tapped and threaded hope in the lever which enabled -- with proper adjustment -- this screw's tip to move the trigger sufficiently to fire off another shot simply by totally closing the lever! Click image for larger version. 

Your post made me wonder -- are such modifications "legal" in CAS? (I kind of always wanted to drill/tap one of mine, but...)
    geo
    I am pretty sure such a modification would not be legal for CAS
    Don Verna

Quote Originally Posted by 5090SS View Post
    Looks like you have a great rifle.
    I am wanting a .357 lever action as well, so why get the Marlin over a Henry or one of the Italian rifles?
    Not wanting to stir up anything just looking for advice.
    The Henrys are a very nice gun. But, as someone who has had both, a JM Marlin is smoother and seems to have overall better craftsman ship. That being said, a Henry is much nicer than a Remlin or Rossi in my opinion. Then again, whatever makes you happy and is what you can afford is the best gun for you.

Boolit Master

I bought it simply because I was impressed by the increased quality over the Remlins and wanted to see if it ran as good as it looked. I had no need for a lever gun in .357 mag. If I did, I would have looked at Henry first.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Happy birthday and good to hear that quality lever actions may be back on the market.

I’ve got one of the last micro groove Marlin 1894CS made in the mid 90’s. I would have preferred Ballard rifling as I shoot 98% cast bullets through it but it’s been working just fine with lees micro groove cast bullets water hardened with WW alloy. As long as my COL is 1.4 or longer, the rifle cycles 38 special just fine. Lees cowboy bullet in either 125 or 158 cycles fine and that how the 18.5 “ barrel will hold 10 38 special for CASS.
    Everyone needs one rifle that is just plane fun to shoot and will do just about anything from squirrels to deer. Ranch rifle to home defense. Cowboy action and be competitive with it as well. Oh, and cheap as heck to shoot especially if you’re a reloader.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by georgerkahn View Post

geo
    Whether this would work with a real rifle I have no idea. As a kid I had a toy setup, revolver and rifle. On the lever, in approximately same location as shown in your picture, was a little triangular shaped lever with straddled the rifles lever. Folded down, it was against the rifle's lever and out of the way, it would fire normally. You could lift the triangled lever up and it would catch the trigger when the rifle's lever was operated, so you could shoot it just like Lucas McCain did.

I noticed you shooting the rifle with the magazine tube resting on the bags also. with the barrel band tied to the mag tube, you are putting some pressure on the barrel. I'll bet you a beer that this rifle will shoot better with the forearm cradled in your hand and resting that hand on the bag. I wish they would make a short magazine model like the old model 30 Glenfield/Marlins. My 1895 Marlin CB shot all together differently with a magazine full of 45/70's than it did with 3 or 4 in the mag. They don't have any magazine hardware hanging from the barrel and shoot VERY accurately. The 1894's just wouldn't look as cowboyish that way but that would get me buying one pronto. After all that, it is a puuurty rifle and I think you will get it shooting better soon. Congrats.
    Last edited by murf205; 01-08-2024 at 11:55 AM.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by murf205 View Post
    I noticed you shooting the rifle with the magazine tube resting on the bags also. with the barrel band tied to the mag tube, you are putting some pressure on the barrel. I'll bet you a beer that this rifle will shoot better with the forearm cradled in your hand and resting that hand on the bag.
    With the current configuration of my dad's shooting bench, I often have issues with resting the barrel on the bags, rather than the stock. I am skeptical of just how much of a difference that resting the barrel vs. the forearm on a rifle with open sights and an 18.6" barrel really makes. With larger rifles and going for accuracy, I am sure to rest on the fore end and not the barrel. But with a pistol caliber lever-action, how much difference is there really going to be?

I should do a comparison video in the interest of science.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

I you really want to see how that rifle will shoot, remove the forearm/barrel band/mag tube and rest the action on the bag. If that sounds like too much work, rest the action on the bag and hold the forearm with your support side hand. That is the best bench position for my lever guns.
    Tony

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    Strange, my '82 model eats .38 all day long.
    Mine does too.

Boolit Buddy
    I have six JM Marlins. I was at a gun shop today and they had a new Marlin/Ruger .357 on the rack. I was blown away with the quality of it. excellent fit and finish. they had $1299.00 on it so I wasn't buying from them today. but it was hard to walk away!

Boolit Master
    Glad to hear it.

I’ve been contemplating a .44 mag to complement my .44 revolvers.

Happy belated birthday! I just did a review on the new 1894 in .38Spl/.357Mag and I really like it. After scoping this rifle I was able to get some pretty decent groupings across several different loads between .38 special & .357 magnum at fifty yards. I never did slug the barrel however it liked cast bullets a lot. I had the same experience when testing the new .44 magnum 1894. I think Ruger has done a very nice job in bringing back the Marlin brand. Compared to the several JM 1894's I've had over the years I'd safely say that the new ones run as nice as my earlier models. Thanks for posting your range review video!
    http://1895gunner.com/
    Reloading | Shooting | Hunting

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast