Load DataSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Wideners
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bought one of the new Marlin 1894s in .357 Mag.

Boolit Master
    first Ruglin last week
    Come on folks...didn't we get enough of that gibberish with the Remington made Marlins. These are simply Marlins made by Ruger. They are still Marlin Rifles no matter who produces them.

Ballards were still Ballards when John Marlin produced them; we call them Marlin-Ballards today.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Grand Master

Well written uscra112 !
    Happens with all firearms as they get "moved, bought out, and restarted".
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtarm View Post
    Glad to hear it.

I’ve been contemplating a .44 mag to complement my .44 revolvers.
    That was my first Marlin bought in the 70’s. I still have it. It was a deer killer then and now lastly a cowboy action gun. Full power 44 mag. in the rifle feels about like shooting 30-30. Meaning easy on the shoulder and shooter. Of course being a reloader and bullet caster means that full power loads are seldom ever shot. My Marlin collection has expanded since then and currently my finest plinker is my 1894C in 357. Loading 44 mag. down to 44 special levels turns it into a plinker as well. If you get one, I have extra brass to sell.

I like to give my lever actions a Horse Poop and Gunsmoke action job.
    It did wonders for my Chinese PW87 shotgun, a semi-clone of a Winchester 1887 lever action shotgun.
    The shotgun would rarely feed and eject two shells in a row, now it rarely hangs up feeding all seven shells.

Boolit Grand Master

That is an interesting name for a shop !
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Gohon View Post
    Come on folks...didn't we get enough of that gibberish with the Remington made Marlins. These are simply Marlins made by Ruger. They are still Marlin Rifles no matter who produces them.
    It's not gibberish. Marlins were simply Marlins until they were bought out by Remington and the quality went down. Significant difference in quality between a Remington-produced Marlin rifle and an original. Which is why the term "Remlin" was coined. It was needed to distinguish between the older and higher quality rifles and the new ones.

Same with these new Ruger produced Marlin rifles. "Ruglin" is a term used to describe a Marlin rifle built by Ruger. It's descriptive and it is needed. IMHO, the new Ruger-produced rifles are a huge step up in quality over the older Remington-produced rifles, but still not quite as nice as the older Marlin rifles.

BTW, I returned to the range today with some reloads and better optics and got the little carbine to do just over an inch at 55yds, which is just fine in my book for a pistol-caliber lever action.

New video was produced...

"Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

I have had 3 1894 Marlins in 357 in the past. I bought a new one in 357 and it shoots great and I think the fit and finish is as good or better than the old ones. The new ones are really well built.
    Endeavor to persevere

Boolit Buddy
    I bought two of the new 1894 .357's, they are better rifles than the old JM's I've had.
    Only a fool would attempt it, and God help me I am that fool.

Boolit Grand Master
    Nice seeing the groups tightening up. Looking forward to your next range session.

BTW, 1.5-2" groups with a carbine are acceptable at 50 yards IMO. Looks like you are there and might do better with more load development.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

I have one of the new Marljn/Rugers in .44 magnum. It is excellent,... .430" at the grooves and it feeds Lyman #429421 seated to the crimp just like Elmer designed it to be used!
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Quote Originally Posted by Hickok View Post
    I have one of the new Marljn/Rugers in .44 magnum. It is excellent,... .430" at the grooves and it feeds Lyman #429421 seated to the crimp just like Elmer designed it to be used!
    Thanks for sharing that info. I'm glad to hear it will feed the Keith bullets and that the groove dimension is reasonable. I wouldn't mind finding one myself.
    BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets

Lead Alloy Calculator

Boolit Grand Master
    Has anyone seen gun rag tests on these? I stopped subscribing years ago but would be interested in seeing reports. So far, the OP is the only report I have seen and at least he showed the good and not so good.
    Don Verna

Enjoyed your video, nice rifle.
    I love your dog, reminds me of my last dog.
    I can tell he is watching out for you, protecting you from those vicious mice.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by murf205 View Post
    I noticed you shooting the rifle with the magazine tube resting on the bags also. with the barrel band tied to the mag tube, you are putting some pressure on the barrel. I'll bet you a beer that this rifle will shoot better with the forearm cradled in your hand and resting that hand on the bag. I wish they would make a short magazine model like the old model 30 Glenfield/Marlins. My 1895 Marlin CB shot all together differently with a magazine full of 45/70's than it did with 3 or 4 in the mag. They don't have any magazine hardware hanging from the barrel and shoot VERY accurately. The 1894's just wouldn't look as cowboyish that way but that would get me buying one pronto. After all that, it is a puuurty rifle and I think you will get it shooting better soon. Congrats.
    The Glenfield 30 is a real sleeper. Mine will keep up with most bolt actions at 100 yards with it's favorite load. I think the half mag tube is handsome and shaves a bit of bulk and weight.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    Enjoyed your video, nice rifle.
    I love your dog, reminds me of my last dog.
    I can tell he is watching out for you, protecting you from those vicious mice.
    Thanks! Arlo is always on patrol!
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123