RepackboxReloading EverythingLee PrecisionWideners
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I gots me a 22LR Bentz chamber reamer

Boolit Master
    I’ve done a lot of chambers, mostly in relined barrels, mounted vertically in a vise with the reamer in a big tap wrench. Biggest difference I can recall offhand between bore and shell diameter (without preliminary drilling to remove stock) was a .25-35. A big sharp-shouldered Magnum would be a lathe operation, no doubt; too arduous otherwise.

Brush Rigid cutting oil (or Cool Tool) on the flutes, insert reamer, pull down slightly while rotating the wrench, count eight half turns, “feather” the last turn while withdrawing the reamer, brush off chips; re-oil; a cleaning rod with patch down the bore (trash bag underneath); insert reamer and repeat.
    Every now and then, I loosen the vise jaws, turn the barrel 45 or 90 degrees and retighten for the next few rounds of wrench turning. An octagon barrel profile helps here, but a round one can be done close enough. I use wood, copper or aluminum jaws in the vise.

Eventually, the reamer is in far enough so I can start checking headspace. I’ll screw on the action at this point so I can close bolt or block on the gauge or cartridge rim. I have homemade extensions for reamer and wrench that I use at this point. Then it’s fewer partial turns, less downward pressure, more barrel rotation in the vise, and more cleaning and checking between reams.

Eventually, it’s done, and however long it took, it’s nothing to the time I’ll be shooting it. I’ve never seen bulges or asymmetry in fired cartridges that would indicate that I’ve induced swelling or runout in the chamber by reaming this way.

And I have to say, I’ve gotten pretty cynical about some of these claims about precision manufacture. One guy in Precision Shooting (IIRC) claimed his gunsmith-to-the-stars did his barrel work “to a millionth of an inch.” But his description of the process never mentioned the other person of identical size, weight and body temperature that I heard had to stand the same distance behind the lathe as the operator was in front in order to truly effect this precision. I think he may have been appealing to the Voodoo Element there.

Boolit Buddy
    "And I have to say, I’ve gotten pretty cynical about some of these claims about precision manufacture." The far fetched claims get tedious, don't they?

I used to visit a regional site in which the mysterious "Gunsmith X" was frequently referenced in regard to some mystical, magical AR15 being displayed. Gunsmith X's talent impressed me in sourcing quality parts and charging a pretty steep markup on top of about 4 hours x $500/hour for assembling them.

Boolit Master

I don't know how some of the so called gunsmiths can get away with charging so much. Several years back I installed a Lilja barrel on a high end target rifle in 22LR. I chambered the usual way I have been doing for years. Charged under $200 for the thread, chamber and contour. It had been sent to me through another shop and when the owner came to pick it up he thought it must be a lousy job because it didn't cost $1500 like the last barrel he had installed. The owner went to the trouble of sending his rifle to Lilja to have it checked out. They sent it back saying there was nothing wrong with it.

Boolit Master
    An FYI: My hunting buddy is a talented amateur gunsmith. He has made some beautiful and accurate rifles. There have been a couple of builds where, for one reason or another, he has sent some of his work out to John Taylor. I have seen Mr Taylor's handywork first hand. There's a difference between a mechanic and an artist. John Taylor is an artist.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 405grain View Post
    An FYI: My hunting buddy is a talented amateur gunsmith. He has made some beautiful and accurate rifles. There have been a couple of builds where, for one reason or another, he has sent some of his work out to John Taylor. I have seen Mr Taylor's handywork first hand. There's a difference between a mechanic and an artist. John Taylor is an artist.
    Thanks for the kind words.
    An after thought on chambering a 22 LR, I run the rpms at 900, not 100. I know this seems fast but the chamber is cut so fast that the reamer does not get hot. I push the reamer in with the palm of my hand, the 4" crescent is so it does not spin in my hand. No side pressure or the chamber may be cut oversize. I'm still using the same reamer I bought over 20 yers ago. On larger reamers I run about 200 and the shape of the reamer will determine how far I go in before clearing the chips. A 38 special may only get pulled out a few times to clear chips while a 338 Edge may need to be pulled every .050".

Quote Originally Posted by John Taylor View Post
    I don't know how some of the so called gunsmiths can get away with charging so much. Several years back I installed a Lilja barrel on a high end target rifle in 22LR. I chambered the usual way I have been doing for years. Charged under $200 for the thread, chamber and contour. It had been sent to me through another shop and when the owner came to pick it up he thought it must be a lousy job because it didn't cost $1500 like the last barrel he had installed. The owner went to the trouble of sending his rifle to Lilja to have it checked out. They sent it back saying there was nothing wrong with it.
    Some, perhaps most people have a strange sense of value.

I was preparing to move several years ago. Had some old, small farm equipment I couldn't use anymore so I posted it for sale at prices I felt were fair. Never got a single inquiry. So I doubled the prices and everything was gone in 3 days.

Makes no sense to me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12