Titan ReloadingWidenersLee PrecisionRepackbox
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I gots me a 22LR Bentz chamber reamer

Boolit Buddy

I gots me a 22LR Bentz chamber reamer

I’ve glued the Redman liner into my Stevens model 44 barrel w/loctite 262 and have faced it off to 90 degrees at both breech and muzzle and crowned it using my Brownells 11 degree piloted tool.

So, now my buddy is telling me that it’s almost impossible to hand cut a 22LR chamber and do a good job. What say you?

I could also take it to another buddy’s house and get it centered on the bore by putting a pin in the bore and indicating it then turn the lathe chuck by hand to ream the chamber. He’s telling me that is no good either and to take it to a pro.

What I have is a removable pilot reamer and some headspace gauges. I had figured on turning the reamer with a tap handle, going slow and using lots of cutting oil, but now I’m reluctant to do anything until I get some good advice.

I’ve got John Taylor making a 17 HMR barrel for it and thought that it would be fun to see what I could do with the bad 22 LR barrel on my own. I’d like it to shoot real well and it will be three or four months before I get the action home, so I have plenty of time to decide how I will proceed.

It wouldn’t be a big deal to have someone else do the chambering, but I’d sure like to do it myself if I have a reasonable expectation of being able to do a good job on it.
    Last edited by JDHasty; 12-16-2023 at 06:41 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    The one area that gave me the biggest issue was the gap between the flutes. Or lack thereof. It takes very little cutting before the reamer gets filled with chips. So learned to cut a little and clean/flush chips.

Can use a section of the left over liner and trial cut a chamber on it. Just to get a feel of how it goes.

Also, hold the barrel/liner with a downward slope. That will help in preventing the chips from running into the throat area of the reamer.

45_Colt

Vendor Sponsor

Pin the bore and mic the pin, it's likely -.0002" if it's a minus pin, but your pilot bushings are usually ground to size. As long as you have a SNUG fitting pilot, your reamer will be concentric. And yes they do fill the flutes with swarf rather quickly.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

I chamber everything in my lathe with a double spider and a floating reamer holder. Never attempted to do it by hand so I have no advice on that particular process.

I will say if you decide to do it yourself be careful and do NOT turn the reamer backwards even a little bit. That's not good for multiple reasons.

Boolit Grand Master

You need to clear chips very often. The set up is critical once its right then the rest is just slowly cutting and clearing chips. Use plenty of oil, a good cutting oil. I prefer a black sulfur oil. keeping the chips small helps them to flow and not plug the flutes. Keep track of your depth as you go.

When setting up the lathe your head stock set up is good but you also want to set the tail stock to dead true with a test bar on centers. A mandrel can be indicated in or a test piece turned with light cuts and measured at each end until each end is he same.depending on size of the machine 6-10"apart. My test bar is 10" aluminum 2" dia. 1" long at each end and relieved in the middle. When setting up a light pass is taken on the first end then ran down and taken on the head end with out touching the compound. this shows the tail stocks alignment with the head in any taper present. Adjust until both ends are the same size.

Boolit Master

I chamber quite a few 22s and it does not take a lot of effort. The Bentz reamer is very good, a tighter reamer would be the Lilja but it won't work in many single shot rifles. True up the barrel in the lathe, squirt some cutting oil in, oil the reamer, run the lathe around 100 rpms, Hold the reamer with a small wrench ( I use a 4" crescent ) and run it in by hand. You're only taking out about .003" over the groove diameter. Many times I don't pull the reamer out for chip removal but if you're worried about it, run it in half way and clear the chips.You can cut the chamber in about 10 seconds. Don't try this with larger chambers. If you need to cut for the rim it will take a little pressure. Rim cut is usually .043". Larger chamber require a reamer holder and the tail stock. Many times I will use a drill bit to take out most of the metal on a large chamber. I have about 100 chamber reamers and along the way I learned how to break a few of them. Now most are over $200, when I started reamers were about $50. I didn't have much money when I started and made several of the chamber reamers before I could buy them.

Chambering without a lathe is doable. I would suggest clamping the barrel vertically so you are pushing straight down. You will minimize the tendency to put side thrust on your reamer that way. Turn the reamer with the biggest tap wrench you have. Using both hands,take it easy, both with down pressure and turning pressure but make sure you are cutting. Plenty of oil in the hole and on the reamer. A 44 Stevens breeches up tight to the barrel so that makes the headspacing simpler. If you are concerned, find an old piece of .22 barrel, and do a practice run.

Vendor Sponsor

I agree with John Taylor. I turn my 22 reamer with the small Starrett tap handle.

This is not a barrel but I ream a LOT of kit gun cylinders, finicky with quite a few brands of ammo, hard extraction, the throats are usually great, my 22 reamer has a .2235" solid pilot and it fits fairly snugly in all the S&W cylinders I have reamed with it. I put the cylinders in a vise with red oak soft jaws wrapped in buckskin leather so the chambers are pointed straight down, use plenty of tap magic, and you'd be surprised how much metal that reamer takes out, as these chambers are notoriously tight, I have to clear it at least once usually twice then carefully watch the rim rebates for the slightest witness mark.

If you fail to clear the swarf, it wants to wedge the shavings between the flutes and the newly cut chamber walls and it acts like it wants to get stuck.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by John Taylor View Post
    I chamber quite a few 22s and it does not take a lot of effort. The Bentz reamer is very good, a tighter reamer would be the Lilja but it won't work in many single shot rifles. True up the barrel in the lathe, squirt some cutting oil in, oil the reamer, run the lathe around 100 rpms, Hold the reamer with a small wrench ( I use a 4" crescent ) and run it in by hand. You're only taking out about .003" over the groove diameter. Many times I don't pull the reamer out for chip removal but if you're worried about it, run it in half way and clear the chips.You can cut the chamber in about 10 seconds. Don't try this with larger chambers. If you need to cut for the rim it will take a little pressure. Rim cut is usually .043". Larger chamber require a reamer holder and the tail stock. Many times I will use a drill bit to take out most of the metal on a large chamber. I have about 100 chamber reamers and along the way I learned how to break a few of them. Now most are over $200, when I started reamers were about $50. I didn't have much money when I started and made several of the chamber reamers before I could buy them.
    I suffered mightily deciding on a reamer. We shoot live varmints and use mostly Mini Mag HP if we need accuracy to spare and a couple others. If we are shooting short ranges we just grab a Bucket O’ Bullets and that works plenty good. Our target rifles just don’t shoot HV HP well at all. Our sporting rifles can’t stay with them if they are fed target ammo they like though. But with hunting ammo the sporting rifles win that shooting match and by a wide margin.

The Bentz has done us good in the past, so I thought it would best suit my purposes. I went back and forth on paying more for a TJ’s liner, but since this is a learning experience and we have a few old rifles that have been lined using Redman liners, I just went ahead and threw one onto a Brownells order.

My buddy who advised me against cutting the chamber ourselves has advised me against so many other tasks that: Let’s just say I wanted a second opinion.

I go through Tap Magic like it’s water. I have so many bottles of Tap Magic sitting around that one is never out of reach. Maybe there is a better cutting oil, but it’s been my friend for a long time.

I have a woodworkers vise that has European beech and leather lined jaws on the front of my work bench that can be used to hold the barrel vertical, but I’m leaning toward turning the barrel in my buddy’s lathe and holding the reamer with a small crescent wrench or tap handle.

I’m going to walk over with some bean soup and my barrel and the reamer and use his pin gauges to make sure the pilot is going to be a good fit and if not I’ll order the correct size pilot.

Thank you to all who have responded. It looks like so long as we go slow and pay attention to detail can handle this. If it works out it will be nice to be able to not beg off on buying some cool old 22 because it has a “rotted out” bore in the future. I’ve walked away from quite a few in the past because I wasn’t wanting to get going on saving another stray kitten at a cost of thousand dollars. If I can add this to what I am able to accomplish, it kind of kicks the door open to always having something in the shop to stay busy on.
    Last edited by JDHasty; 12-16-2023 at 06:40 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    FWIW, this is not my first attempt at chambering a 22LR. When we were kids we had a Winchester break barrel 22 caliber air rifle that was pretty much kaput. We cut the rim recess and chambered it with twist drills. Drilled, tapped and loctited a hardened machine screw in the port and then cut it off and filed it down before drilling through into the piston and soldered a piece of drill rod into the piston and reamed the firing pin hole through the breech.

I can’t remember what ever happened to it. It was actually fairly accurate.

Boolit Grand Master

As I posted in another post Take it one step at a time. Do each ste to the best you can then font worry about it. font worry about the next either concentrate on whats at hand. Think it thru before starting and then its just one step at a time.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by JDHasty View Post
    I’m going to walk over with some bean soup and my barrel and the reamer and use his pin gauges to make sure the pilot is going to be a good fit and if not I’ll order the correct size pilot.

Thank you to all who have responded. It looks like so long as we go slow and pay attention to detail can handle this. If it works out it will be nice to be able to not beg off on buying some cool old 22 because it has a “rotted out” bore in the future. I’ve walked away from quite a few in the past because I wasn’t wanting to get going on saving another stray kitten at a cost of thousand dollars. If I can add this to what I am able to accomplish, it kind of kicks the door open to always having something in the shop to stay busy on.
    If your buddy has pin gages in .0005" increments you are golden. I got a set of Meyer zz minus pins .061" to .0250" which only comes in .001" increments but you can order the .0005" sizes for in between in single pins and you really need those too for fitting a pilot bushing.

Boolit Master
    I go sage rat (ground squirrel) hunting every year. I've made several barrels for highly modified Ruger 10-22 style rifles out of 7075 Aluminum rod and Redman liners. I bore the aluminum rod on the lathe, then install the liner with green Loctite cylindrical adhesive. I cut the chambers with a Bentz reamer. This makes very accurate varmint barrels (on rare occasions I've hit squirrels out to 200 yards). Here's some suggestions. First, if your friend tells you not to do stuff like this: it's because he doesn't know how, not because you don't know how. Centering a barrel between centers in a lathe using gauge pins is about the best way to get any barrel lined up perfectly. Cutting a chamber in a 22 liner by hand (in a lathe) is very easy, and you need be a little cautious because the reamer will cut both easier and faster than a reamer in a normal rifle barrel. You want to use a tap handle, and not a Crescent wrench when doing the reaming. The Crescent wrench will put a side load on the reamer, and you want your chamber to be as straight and concentric as possible. Most decent tap handles will have a chamfered center on the back of the handle that can be used with a live center (or dead center) in the tailstock to keep the handle and reamer aligned. A 22lr reamer will cut so easily that you don't need the tailstock to act as a feeding device, you just want it to keep everything on center. Some reamers also have a center on their base. Practice on a scrap piece of the liner and you will be amazed how easy this is to do. Tap magic used to be great stuff, and was my preferred cutting oil. Around 10 years ago they changed the formula and the new stuff isn't so good. If you have the old stuff use it. A bottle of the sulfur based pipe threading oil that you can find in the plumbing department of any hardware store is also a good choice when reaming a chamber. Two things; clear the chips often, both from the reamer and the chamber. Second, as said above - never rotate a chambering reamer backwards. If you do that, metal chips will pressure flake tiny pieces off the cutting edges on the reamer. The fastest way to make a reamer dull is to rotate it backwards.

Boolit Buddy
    Nice to know about Tap Magic. I used to buy it in quart bottles, then about fifteen years ago I bought 4 full and one half full gallon cans at an estate sale and have been refilling my bottles from them since.

“First, if your friend tells you not to do stuff like this: it's because he doesn't know how, not because you don't know how.”

Curiously, he knows how, but I don’t think he has practiced enough to become a master of much of anything. The reason I say that is because if he explains a process, if I get a second (or third) opinion he has always been spot on regarding exactly how it SHOULD be done. He’s a really nice guy, but between discouraging me from trying something new and encouraging me to use some flaky “shortcut,” I will cop to getting frustrated with him at times. Regarding cutting the chamber in this barrel liner, he just said don’t bother trying to do it yourself.

I have a couple other buddies and a relative who are the exact opposite, all three are well known for their gunsmithing. Real gunsmithing, and not parts changing. They have built actions from a piece of bar stock and if a part isn’t available they make it, and make it right. All three have told me: You can do that. I think all three have also told me some version of “just as good” rarely, if ever, is. The one I consider to be my mentor isn’t afraid to criticize my work and do it in a fashion in which he knows will really sink in. I’ll never forget him looking at a Model 43 action I had cleaned up pitting on and handing it back to me saying: if it’s good enough for you, then I guess that is all that matters. In other words, don’t be so lazy, if you are going to do a job do it right. Finish the job.

I came here for advice because none of them do much with rimfire rifles. One is the best shotgun man around, one builds big ultra long range hunting rifles and the third centerfire bench rest rifles.
    Last edited by JDHasty; 12-18-2023 at 12:52 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

The original Tap Magic contained tric-111. It was great stuff. That version was changed about 25 or 30 years ago.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master

Please do not use tap magic or rapid tap with a chamber reamer, that's how I leaned to break reamers. Tap magic is great for taps but a cutting oil is required for reamers. I buy light and heavy cutting oil in 5 gallon containers and can get a couple years out of one.

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you much for the heads up on that.

FWIW I did a couple of .22s using a "sporting" reamer by hand, using a tap wrench, before I had my "big" lathe. Worked out OK. I think the problem you will face is that due to ??? alignment the reamer will cut large at the back, but a Bentz is large at the back anyway, so.....
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Grand Master
    I have not done a .22 rim fire chamber, but I have done several center fire rifle chambers by hand (mostly short chambered prethreaded barrels). Lots of heavy cutting oil and an eight inch long tap wrench. The hardest part is securing the round barrel so it won't turn while reaming.

Before I built my first rifle, I was concerned about needing a lathe to chamber the barrel. Reading everything I could find, I came across a description by Max Clymer in one of the Brownell's Gunsmith Kinks books. It convinced me that it was doable without a lathe.

If I can ream a .35 Whelen chamber by hand, and make an accurate rifle, you can do a .22 LR Bentz chamber.

Use lots of cutting oil and clear the chips often.

Robert

All I will say is winning competitive shooters in the accuracy disciplines would use hand reamed barrels if they were just as good.

They do not.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast