Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Repackbox Wideners

Thread: These aren't nachos... they're my-nose.

These aren't nachos... they're my-nose.

All this discussion on Tex-Mex food reminded me of one of our favorites here.

Nachos. There's a couple common ways they're served.
    One is the bowl of chips with all the stuff you'd put on a taco or in a burrito, and that hot liquid/melted cheese.
    Another is on a plate covered with tortilla chips, Doritos-- whatever you have.
    Then cover it with the usual things, a layer of shredded cedar cheese and zap it in the microwave.

I used to make the quick kind for lunch at work once in awhile.
    A buddy there was ethnic Mexican, English was his 2nd language, and I'd always trey to help him learn more.
    Like how to cuss like a native, talk Ghetto, and tangle him up with pronouncing various other words.

One time at Lunch, he said, "Ahh,,, you're making nachos".
    I told him, "No, these are my-nose, and definitly not-chos".
    It took a minute for him to get it....

A couple weeks later, he cruised by at Lunch time and said, "Are you making my-nose again".
    I told him, "No,,,, these are nachos. I'm sorry I didn't bring enough, so you'll have to get your own".

He started laughing and while walking away, asked, "Why do I even talk to you"?
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Thanks for the laugh Ed!
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Tex-Mex home style is exactly what you said; melted cheese/queso, chips, lettuce, jalepeno, tomato, ground beef, etc. Bed of chips, rest poured on top.

Lots of times the Mrs. and me make them where the chips are coated with refried beans, grated cheese is sprinkled on top, and then broiled/toasted in oven. Sliced jalapeņos or spooned on picanted at the end. Local restaurants make them this way.

Me I just throw some corn chips on a plate, cover with cheese and nuke till the cheese melts and dip in medium 505 as I pull them apart. Fast and lazy way.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

My approach for nachos(not sober-up slop, but quality stuff you could enjoy as an entree or major show-stopper for the Super Bowl):

1. Quality chips. If you don’t like them by themselves, don’t use them as the foundation for your house(of toppings)!
    2. Beans. Optional in my book, but I tend to use them. Preference is for black beans. Again, quality. Goya if using canned. Rinsed and dried. Pinto are good, or even both. But those refried beans in a can, well, I’d pass. That’s me though!
    3. Cheese. Quality matters here. The pre-grated stuff usually has cornstarch or other coatings to prevent clumping, so I tend to grate it fresh. This is another use your preferred option. If you want a melting cheese, there are lots of options but I prefer Oaxaca. It’s similar to “string cheese”. Freshly grated, it’s wonderful when melted under the broiler.
    4. Meat. Lots of options, but I prefer beef. Thinly sliced pieces of Tri-tip with some fat cap, or if using ground, well drained of the fat drippings. Chicken I prefer chunky.
    5. Extra toppings. Be that green chilis, salsa, pickled(or fresh) jalapeņos, Serrano peppers(roasted over a flame to roast the skin, mmm), etc. This is where having some salsas made so each person can dress their nachos as their palate desires.
    6. Prpeparation: warm chips first using the broiler. Melt a thin layer of that freshly grated cheese on the chips alone. Meat next, back under the broiler to warm meet back up and ensure it gets some more crispy bits. More cheese, but a thin layer where it will melt into the meat below it. Beans and other toppings. Beans hold a lot of water within them, so don’t be afraid of them getting a bit “dry looking” on the outside without burning them. Another light sprinkling of grated cheese, with some red onions finely chopped, other toppings, etc mixed in with the cheese.

Layers of flavor, and if you’ve prepped your toppings appropriately beforehand, it basically becomes an assembly process start to finish. Having fresh limes ready to go is recommended as well.

Moderator Emeritus

Doing a nacho/taco bar for New Years eve... everyone makes their own plate so picky eaters can leave off what they don't like! Taco meat, refried beans(yes from the can, I am being lazy!), chopped green onions, black olives, shredded cheese, warm nacho cheese... make it however you like it!

I like a layer of half meat/beans, topped with a little shredded cheese then a layer of nacho cheese, then olives and green onions. Pile of bite size round tortilla chips on the side... chow down! Sometimes add lettuce but it has been so bad up here that yech no thanks!

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I made nachos and turkey burritos out of wild turkey last night! It was a hit! I just put turkey breasts in the instant pot for about an hour and a half half and then let them sit all afternoon. Cut them up with my Ulu knife is super small, shredded pieces and mixed with taco spices. The tenderloins I separated and made in the oven. Dipped in mayo and mustard mix then rolled in crackers. Bakes at 45 min at 350 degrees. Was as soft as chicken.