Titan ReloadingLoad DataLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2
Repackbox Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Expanding sub sonic .308 thoughts

Yeah those were what I was referring to in my first post. I have one from Dave but prefer BT's notch die mainly cause it's clear to see the work being done. I havent done any real testing with the serration die though. Have you?

I have the Saber Tooth punch but rarely use it. I don't hunt so I really don't need the extreme expansion.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master
    I made a serration die for my sub 308 stuff years ago. I used a lee push through I drilled and threaded, used hardened sharpened bolts to serrate and BT Sniper ejection on my RCBS to get it out once in the sizer. Worked like a charm. Just don't score the whole jacket.
    Our house is protected by the Good Lord and a gun and you might meet them both if you show up here not welcome son!

Can you explain what you mean by hardened sharpened bolts?

Boolit Master

Dave Corbin’s saber tooth works ok on pistols but I’m dubious in rifle. I have a couple “saber tooth” punches that I have been very disappointed in. A common hollow point in pistol preforms better than the saber tooth design I don’t see how it would fare any better in a 30 caliber rifle. Richard made me one that had a hollow pointing node in it but still not very good. I think if I were looking to swage a reliably expanding boolet at subsonic speeds I would use pure lead as my core and leave the open tip larger than I normally would. Guilding metal jackets like Sierra or Berger J4 will reliably expand even at subsonic speeds

Boolit Buddy
    I have had no luck with J-4 or Sierra jackets and pure lead cores, even with large amounts of exposed lead in 250 grain bullets subsonic in the blackout. Also did pre-fragmented cores with little success - certainly not worth the time and effort. I have shot some of the 190 grain Hornady Blackout ammo - Its the best expanding I have worked with. I have not tried Lehigh and some of the other fragmenting style bullets so I don't have an opinion there. About the best I've come up with is swaging a 250 grain flatnose with exposed lead. Still not great expansion but at least a flat tip to supply some shock. I haven't tried them for expansion yet, but I cast some pure lead bullets for 30 cal paper patch. I'm thinking that will work but it obviously doesn't help for semi-autos etc. They shoot pretty well in my single shot blackout.

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerShooter View Post
    I have had no luck with J-4 or Sierra jackets
    Same. Below is a thin jacket Sierra fired into water bottles at subsonic velocity out of my .300blk. Zero expansion.

Dan Wesson 744V .44mag, S&W Mod 19-4 .357 , Stevens 200 .223

Boolit Master
    Maybe try annealing your jackets to soften them? Just heat them with a torch until the mouth just starts to get red. My .358 tubing jacket are quite soft after annealing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12