RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionWideners
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad Data
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions of CVA single shot scout td 44 magnum

Boolit Bub

Opinions of CVA single shot scout td 44 magnum

I bought a CVA Scout TD in .243 Win a few weeks ago. I just got a scope mounted on it and haven't gotten to shoot it yet. It seems like a nice little gun with a nice trigger and a nice price. Now I'm thinking I would like one in .44 Magnum. Just for a fun gun. I was wondering what are your opinions on this gun, particularly in 44 Magnum. I'm especially interested in the bore size. I currently size my cast bullets at .430 for my Ruger Super Blackhawk and from what I've read, rifles are larger than handguns for SAAMI specs.

I appreciate the help!

Boolit Buddy
    I also have a slight interest in these rifles, especially since they are a "takedown" version. I am curious to whether or not custom barrels could be fabricated, since the price of NEF/H&R Handi, T.C. Encore and other break action single shot rifles has steadily increased for a number of years, which makes them less affordable for what they are and what you do with them. However that's just my observation based on how few of them I see for sale in my area.

I didn't see a 357 Magnum listed in the calibers mentioned or maybe I missed it, but I would definitely be interested in at least two of them in 357 Magnum and I would prefer if they would give an option for some simple iron sights to be offered for those who want them.
    I also would be interested in one chambered in 327 Fed Mag as well as a few other calibers such as 9mm Luger, 30 Carbine and possibly a few more. I'm just wishing for what it's worth.

My experience with 44 rifles has taught me that yes the bores are slightly bigger than what they manufacture for revolvers, however I have my molds cut to cast at least a .4335" bullet (or slightly larger) and I size all of my bullets to .4325" for use in my two Smith & Wesson revolvers and my Marlin 1894 with no problems at all. My Marlin has a .431" bore and does well with bullets sized to .4325" with no leading and good accuracy. If my memory serves me correctly, my two S&W have throats that measure around .431" also so there's no problem using the same ammo for both rifle and revolvers.

Boolit Bub
    I'm with you on expanding the line to include more handgun calibers. With the price of new contender barrels being the same as the whole CVA rifle, it would nice to have more to choose from. Or maybe offer barrels for the CVA.

They are built by Bergara in Spain and imported for CVA. Overseas they are called the BA13 and have many options we don't. There aren't any barrels for sale in the US other than on a rifle unfortunately.

I have one in .300blk and it is an awesome rifle. It will shoot 1/2" groups at 100yds but I mostly shoot subsonic suppressed.

Dan Wesson 744V .44mag, S&W Mod 19-4 .357 , Stevens 200 .223

Boolit Master

Can't speak of the .44, but a friend has one in .444 Marlin. He likes it a lot, very accurate.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Bub
    That wood furniture would be a nice option. As well as the .222 chambering. Interesting that their 16.5 inch 308 has a faster twist than the longer barreled version.

I would think with TC and H&R/NEF no longer being made and the Henry being kinda expensive, CVA/Bergara would see the opportunity to really corner the market on lower-priced single-shots and offer more variety. I should look into getting one of those 300 BO versions. That could be a sweet truck/tractor gun. It's not on their website (that I could find) but they had a handgun version for a time and some models are still available for sale at various retailers.

Quote Originally Posted by Firesubie View Post
    That wood furniture would be a nice option. As well as the .222 chambering. Interesting that their 16.5 inch 308 has a faster twist than the longer barreled version.

I would think with TC and H&R/NEF no longer being made and the Henry being kinda expensive, CVA/Bergara would see the opportunity to really corner the market on lower-priced single-shots and offer more variety. I should look into getting one of those 300 BO versions. That could be a sweet truck/tractor gun. It's not on their website (that I could find) but they had a handgun version for a time and some models are still available for sale at various retailers.
    It's a bummer that there isn't more availability on these. After keeping up with how CVA handles them for several years now it almost feels like an afterthought to them. I think they get big shipments and sell them all before ordering another big shipment so the availability is always spotty.

The wood look is actually plastic and called "wood camo"
    One version I've seen in AU markets is a shorty in 9mm with a threaded bbl. I'd love to have one.

Boyd's makes a wood stock for them but they look heavy, blocky and unrefined.

There has never been a .357mag rifle but they did one as a pistol.

I feel they are cheap enough to just buy a whole rifle rather than dealing with barrels only if you could even get just a barrel. When you do see one you want at a good price just get it because they may not be available for years again if at all.

If they made one in a 357 mag, my gunsmith has a 357 Max reamer and I would have it re-chambered immediately. Kind of a 35 Remingtons little brother.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Quote Originally Posted by murf205 View Post
    If they made one in a 357 mag, my gunsmith has a 357 Max reamer and I would have it re-chambered immediately. Kind of a 35 Remingtons little brother.
    I'd be all over either a .357 or 9mm. Shame CVA isn't onboard with following what consumers want.

Boolit Bub
    Yeah, they picked some odd calibers for their limited selection. I'm sure 35 Whelen and 444 Marlin are great, but not very mainstream when they offer 308 overseas but not here. They also have 45-70 and 450 Bushmaster which are both very similar to 444 Marlin. I guess they should have asked my advice first. (Just kidding)

Quote Originally Posted by Firesubie View Post
    Yeah, they picked some odd calibers for their limited selection. I'm sure 35 Whelen and 444 Marlin are great, but not very mainstream when they offer 308 overseas but not here. They also have 45-70 and 450 Bushmaster which are both very similar to 444 Marlin. I guess they should have asked my advice first. (Just kidding)
    They have had a bunch of diff calibers over the years. .223, ..243, 308, 7mm-08 and others. Seems like when that batch runs out the order something completely different.

No need to call the corporate office in Georgia either. They give you the SGT Schultz answer: "I know nothing".
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

I have one of the early ones in 243 Win. With handloads it’s better than 1/2 MOA when the shooter is up to it. I have taken 3-4 antelope with it and the last one was a lone bedded doe on a windless day shooting prone with a good rest 545 lasered yards. They can be surprisingly accurate for a break action.
    Jedman

I have one in 300 BO, great gun. I wanted 357 but nope. Got a wood boyd's thumbhole stock - kinda blocky right behind the receiver but shoots fine. Barrel is almost free floated by design. Trigger is very good for an inexpensive rifle. Don't know who makes them, bergara makes the barrels.
    Whatever!

Quote Originally Posted by steve urquell View Post
    They have had a bunch of diff calibers over the years. .223, ..243, 308, 7mm-08 and others. Seems like when that batch runs out the order something completely different.
    I have been told that they made a 35 Remington. They are pretty rare but a member here has/had one. I have seriously considered sending a .243 to JES and having a 358 Win made, since I am a 35 cal aficionado. I could load it down to the 357 Max velocities but CVA could cure this with a simple 357.

Quote Originally Posted by murf205 View Post
    I have been told that they made a 35 Remington. They are pretty rare but a member here has/had one. I have seriously considered sending a .243 to JES and having a 358 Win made, since I am a 35 cal aficionado. I could load it down to the 357 Max velocities but CVA could cure this with a simple 357.
    I almost bought one to have a chamber adapter made for to convert it to .357 then I picked one up. It had a heavy profile bbl and probably weighed 8+lbs.

I cringe that I passed on several of the cheaper hunter models for $170. I could have had a .223 converted to. 357.

Best you can do now is to buy a .350 Legend. I didn't because of the inability or difficulty to convert brass.

Boolit Buddy
    Well, that's a shame that we can't get the same options here that they offer to other markets. I believe that a 357 Mag. in rifle format would sell, same goes for one chambered in 9mm Luger and 45ACP. Like others have posted, I don't understand the reasoning behind the caliber/chambering choices that they make. I suppose one could ask and see if John Taylor would be willing to fabricate a custom barrel assembly for the rifle. I have a few H&R/NEF guns that I would like to send him to build, at least I would get it built like I wanted it to be and not how some importer decided it should be configured.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    They add sights and wood furniture and I would be seriously interested. That being said, you can find the regular blued Henry single shot for like $100.00 more if you shop around. I absolutely love my Henry .45-70, bought it like new for $400.00. At the time, nice Handi Rifles were well north of $300.00.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I had several rifle barrels fabricated by John Taylor for my Beretta folding shotgun.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20231023_201950~2.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	45.2 KB 
ID:	321135
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by steve urquell View Post
    I almost bought one to have a chamber adapter made for to convert it to .357 then I picked one up. It had a heavy profile bbl and probably weighed 8+lbs.

I cringe that I passed on several of the cheaper hunter models for $170. I could have had a .223 converted to. 357.

Best you can do now is to buy a .350 Legend. I didn't because of the inability or difficulty to convert brass.
    I understand the groove diameter is .355 for the 350 Legend and I would rather have a .357...a lot rather. For the life of me, I cannot understand why Winchester did that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast