Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionReloading Everything
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Opinions of CVA single shot scout td 44 magnum

Boolit Master

I loved mine in .450 Bushmaster- traded it off when I got a bolt gun in same caliber . Got it because as mentioned above I’m not paying $450-550 for a new encore or contender barrel Wiley for two weeks of deer camp.
    My brother at the same time got the .44 scout in take down. And loves the thing . His last 3 deer fell to it . Nice light handy accurate come with a very decent scope mount . Fairly priced - Bagera barrels decent triggers . It’s a great out of the box hunting rifle and in take down ideal for the cabin motor home or boat .

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    I had several rifle barrels fabricated by John Taylor for my Beretta folding shotgun.

Attachment 321135
    About what did he charge you to do that if you don't mind posting that?
    Dan Wesson 744V .44mag, S&W Mod 19-4 .357 , Stevens 200 .223

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    I had several rifle barrels fabricated by John Taylor for my Beretta folding shotgun.

Attachment 321135
    I have been "collecting" for several years now a few H&R/NEF firearms which are a mixture of SB1 and SB2 receivers for the purpose of building into dedicated caliber conversions. I also have a Savage 94 receiver that could be converted as well. I am only interested in handgun cartridge conversions such as 32 S&W long, 327 Fed.Mag., 357 Mag., 9mm Luger. I would like a dedicated rifle in 32 Long with peep sights. Same goes for the 327 Fed.Mag. Furthermore, I would like to have a gun built into a take down configuration with 357 and 9mm barrels that share the same receiver with iron peep sights that I could fit into a soft case or pack for easier transport. I am sure that I could come up with a few others, but that's my short list for now.

Boolit Master
    I’ve slugged the 44 magnum barrel and it wants 0.432"
    I think you could thumb seat them in the fired cases.

The only 44 mag cast we can get our hands on are 0.430"
    Wonder why it leads up and shoot a little wider than jacketed stuff.

Only way would be to cast your own.

Still at 100 yrds be ok for a hand full of cases.

Boolit Bub
    I saw on another forum that someone that had a 44 and 350 legend was ablento swap barrels on frames and close each with the same clearance using feeler gauges. They did say they didn't shoot them that way but it seems that it would be very easy for CVA to offer replacement barrels for the Scout if they don't require fitting to each frame.

Barrabruce, I have the NOE sizer that fits the Lee APP and just got a .432 bushing. Sending you a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Firesubie View Post
    I saw on another forum that someone that had a 44 and 350 legend was ablento swap barrels on frames and close each with the same clearance using feeler gauges. They did say they didn't shoot them that way but it seems that it would be very easy for CVA to offer replacement barrels for the Scout if they don't require fitting to each frame.
    I waited a little while before responding to this post because I couldn't quite put into words what was on my mind about how CVA has handled these guns.

It feels like they are a corporation vs gun enthusiasts. Think about talking to someone on the gun range about guns and shooting and they have passion about their favorite guns. Then talk to a man in a suit who does not shoot but has stock in a gun manufacturing company. The suits are the ones in charge of what CVA orders from Bergara.
    Dan Wesson 744V .44mag, S&W Mod 19-4 .357 , Stevens 200 .223

Is the pistol action the same as the rifle? I know the barrel is too short for a rifle,,I think, I have never seen one but a 357 max in a pistol would be a consideration.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Bub
    I bought the CVA Hunter model in 44 MAG three years ago and have been very pleased with 100 yard accuracy. Typical group size with 240 grain Hornady XTP factory ammo is 2.5 inches. But at 50 yards, the bullets cluster together like a cloverleaf. I've downed 2 nice bucks with this 44 MAG that never knew what hit them. I am a huge fan of CVA products!

Boolit Buddy
    A friend and I both recently got the CVA single shot in 44 mag. both barrels slug at .431 dia. I am having a hard time finding a bullet and load that will group to my standard. Best I have found so far is a 225 gr cast with check, putting 5 rounds at 50 yards at about 1.25". Wallacem inGa

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wallacem View Post
    A friend and I both recently got the CVA single shot in 44 mag. both barrels slug at .431 dia. I am having a hard time finding a bullet and load that will group to my standard. Best I have found so far is a 225 gr cast with check, putting 5 rounds at 50 yards at about 1.25". Wallacem inGa
    Try seating your bullet out touching the lands.
    No need for crimping.
    Try and fill the throat.0.432" maybe

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12