Reloading EverythingRepackboxWidenersInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Load Data Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 30 XCB Pan Lubed VS Powder Coated results

30 XCB Pan Lubed VS Powder Coated results

So I see people always talking about powder coated VS PC but never see any side by side stuff. Well instead of complaining about stuff I like to try and so what I want to see done soooo.
    As y'all know I've gotten ahold of the famous 30XCB mold ( NOE 310-165-FN-H3), it's apparently made so it just works in stuff like .308/30-06 . So figured it was a good candidate for this test .
    Bullets where cast out of my usual crappy Clip on wheel weight mix...that a probably should have thrown out a year again but whatever , the Pan lubed ones where water dropped from the mold and the PC ones where water dropped out the mold and out the oven. Could possibly be a variable but not super sure till I test both.

Both were gas checked with the same Hornady checks . The PC ones where sizes and ched before coating and sized again after coating the pan lubed ones where checked and sized after pan lubing

Cases are mixed head stamp 30-06 all the normal cases prep stuff necks expand with the NOE .311x.307 expander plug. NO CRIMP so shouldn't be any distortion to the bullet at all.
    Now as far as seating depth they need two separate ones I know for a fact the lubed ones where kissing the lands ,you can probably see the mark here , but no problems with bullets being pulled

The powder coated need deeper

And our set up, 50yd front rest rear bag my chopped m1917, magneto speed Chrono

And the results! Now I shot the lubed ones on the right first then the PC on the left. I also bore scoped the bore before shooting either then after shooting both

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk
    A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Banner Sponsor

Looks like the lubed ones shot much better.

Quote Originally Posted by lar45 View Post
    I concur.

Donavan. What were the velocities like?
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Boolit Grand Master
    Mr Gibson is on record as stating he has not had great success with PC’ed bullets.

Now, some folks have had success with PC’ed rifle bullets.

There may be too many variables to make a blanket statement of which way is superior.

I decided long ago I am not talented enough to achieve my standards of rifle accuracy with cast bullets. But I try to stay informed in case the need to shoot cast becomes a necessity. Should that day ever come, I will be leaning on the information Mr Gibson has shared with us. I will be using 2500 or Carnuba Red to see what my rifles prefer. I have 10 sticks of each in inventory.
    Don Verna

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Mr Gibson is on record as stating he has not had great success with PC’ed bullets.

Now, some folks have had success with PC’ed rifle bullets.

There may be too many variables to make a blanket statement of which way is superior.

I decided long ago I am not talented enough to achieve my standards of rifle accuracy with cast bullets. But I try to stay informed in case the need to shoot cast becomes a necessity. Should that day ever come, I will be leaning on the information Mr Gibson has shared with us. I will be using 2500 or Carnuba Red to see what my rifles prefer. I have 10 sticks of each in inventory.
    Well said.

Quote Originally Posted by waco View Post
    Donavan. What were the velocities like?
    What's up bud ! Sorry I dit lost thises int rh FB group, got banned and my device is on a list apparently so looks like no more FB for me ....for now lol
    But Lubed 1880 and PC 1890
    A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Looks like any of them are within a minute of deer.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by lar45 View Post
    I found they usually do.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    I couldn't find my results but the targets I had were nearly identical for lubed (lubesizer) and PC.

Did you weight sort the bullets and size after PC?

PS found it. Note shot #1 for me always goes a little high.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20231115 xcb lube vs pc.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	55.8 KB 
ID:	320995

PPS I did the test to determine if it was worth the extra time to PC or the extra cost for someone to buy a lubesizer. I do find the lubesizer easier to use and quicker.
    Last edited by charlie b; 12-15-2023 at 11:10 AM.

Thanks for posting. Well done and informative.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

PC needs a 1/2 hr cook before WD to get hardness up. 10 min doesn't work. It's the way hardening works. I was getting MOA from my PC cast @ 200yds 308 AR10, 2400 fps.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    Popper

What boolit and what twist rate on your AR 10 barrel? Nice shooting!
    Decreed by our Creator: The man who has been made able to believe and understand that Jesus Christ has been sent into this world by the Father has been born of the Spirit of God. This man shall never experience spiritual death. He will live forever!

Boolit Buddy

Somewhere between the Red and the Rio Grande
    That’s some fine shooting Popper ! I also would like to know what bullet/mold and twist ? This is great info , thanks for sharing Wolfdog91 !
    Keep your powder dry and watch your six !!

Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    PC needs a 1/2 hr cook before WD to get hardness up. 10 min doesn't work. It's the way hardening works. I was getting MOA from my PC cast @ 200yds 308 AR10, 2400 fps.
    Like to see those targets.

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you for doing this test and posting the results.

I still lube for my deer guns. 44 mag and .475 linebaugh.
    I have thought about powdercoating for them, but may just leave well enough alone.

Boolit Master
    Mine were shot without hardening, either lubed or PC. And, yes, they hold pretty close to MOA out to 200yd and beyond, avg about 1.5MOA even at 500yd.

Boolit Master
    when looking at the match results in the "fouling shot" 95% + shooters use convential lubed bullets. do you think that there is a reason for that?? i guess that some guys just like pretty colors and do not care about accuracy

Quote Originally Posted by porthos View Post
    when looking at the match results in the "fouling shot" 95% + shooters use convential lubed bullets. do you think that there is a reason for that?? i guess that some guys just like pretty colors and do not care about accuracy
    And a lot of the old guys are very set in there ways and don’t want to try “new” things. PC can be very accurate if you do it correctly. Nothing wrong with sticking to the old way but to say PC won’t work just because you can’t do it is just not true. Plenty of guys out there are getting great groups at 200 plus yards and running 2200fps+
    Just my 2 cents.
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Quote Originally Posted by porthos View Post
    Actually last time I checked the .22cals results there where a lot of high placements with HI tech or PC.
    Honestly from my findings you can get powder coat to work very well it's just alot of people honestly don't want o put in the effort to trying to learn anything new or experiment, the whole its its not broken don't fix it bs mentality. And honestly a lot of these guys are pretty set in their ways and just plain don't try anything new ,and if they do it usually the most half butted crap to where you can see everything wrong at a moments notice.
    I see it alot with trappers got a guy who's been doing something the same way for 20yrs thinks it's the best an sonly way because XYZ and he finally tries something new , comes back and talk about how crappy it is and how his way was obviously better, yeah but then you look at how he implemented the new things and he was setting it up to fail from the get to.
    I see the same with a lot in casting
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast