Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackbox
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 30 XCB Pan Lubed VS Powder Coated results

Boolit Master
    And, running bullets through a lube sizer is a lot simpler and faster than doing PC. Most of the time you have to size the bullet anyway (as well as crimping on a GC) so adding PC is a lot more time than just the lube.

Don't get me wrong, I like PC and still do it with several of my molds, like the Acc 31-210E.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfdog91 View Post
    Actually last time I checked the .22cals results there where a lot of high placements with HI tech or PC.
    Honestly from my findings you can get powder coat to work very well it's just alot of people honestly don't want o put in the effort to trying to learn anything new or experiment, the whole its its not broken don't fix it bs mentality. And honestly a lot of these guys are pretty set in their ways and just plain don't try anything new ,and if they do it usually the most half butted crap to where you can see everything wrong at a moments notice.
    I see it alot with trappers got a guy who's been doing something the same way for 20yrs thinks it's the best an sonly way because XYZ and he finally tries something new , comes back and talk about how crappy it is and how his way was obviously better, yeah but then you look at how he implemented the new things and he was setting it up to fail from the get to.
    I see the same with a lot in casting
    You might be right, but it is unlikely. People who shoot competively want to win. They will latch on to anything that accomplishes that goal. Well, at least in the shooting sports I have participated in. Maybe cast bullet competitors are different…like really stupid old guys…lol. But I doubt it.

I would not discount what the top shooters are doing.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    I think some of them have tried it and it doesn't do better, just the same. So why bother with it.

Moderator Emeritus

Wolfdog,
    That is an excellent experiment. I'll be interested if, at some point, you will be able to quantify the results. Popper's thoughts are surely valid, but I think your COWW alloy would be good enough for 1900fps loads, if it wasn't properly hardened after PC bake and drop. What I do wonder about, if the PC and/or the seating depth had some negative effects on getting a square launch. Did you check runout of the loaded round, for both Lubed and PC?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

1:10 16" carbine. 31- 165B or C.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    My observations of 30 cal barrels for ARs is that many/most do not come throated in a manner conducive for most cast profiles. I've seen more than several 300 BO, 7.62x39 and a 300 Ham'r that have very short, abruptly cut throats. They just about all shoot cast just fine when you find a cast profile that will feed and function. I have seen only one 300 BO AR bbl that would eat just about any cast profile, even when powder coated. So much for nay sayers on shooting cast in a gas gun.

I've often thought that a little judicial work with the proper throating reamer would be a really good enhancement. Never tried it though.
    It ain't rocket science, it's boolit science.

Boolit Master
    I've had similar results in .308 with a Remington 700. Pan lube shot better in all my tests.

Quote Originally Posted by sundog View Post
    My observations of 30 cal barrels for ARs is that many/most do not come throated in a manner conducive for most cast profiles. I've seen more than several 300 BO, 7.62x39 and a 300 Ham'r that have very short, abruptly cut throats. They just about all shoot cast just fine when you find a cast profile that will feed and function. I have seen only one 300 BO AR bbl that would eat just about any cast profile, even when powder coated. So much for nay sayers on shooting cast in a gas gun.

I've often thought that a little judicial work with the proper throating reamer would be a really good enhancement. Never tried it though.
    My 7.62x39 AR loves this bullet

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk
    A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Boolit Master
    Cast shooters bickering over which is better is like pavement engineers arguing over which is better: concrete or asphalt. They both work. I'll go to extra efforts to get the best possible accuracy out of my cast loads. That's why I swirl lube my PC bullets. If it made them shoot better I'd load the darn things backwards. Those guys that like lubed bullets should shoot them. The guys that like powder coated bullets should shoot those. It ain't about "pretty colors" and "lipstick bullets" vs a sticky mess, its about what each of us like doing, and what shoots best in our gun.

Wolfdog; that's some mighty fine shooting. Glad that your loads are working out for you.

Boolit Master
    LOL that's why I shoot both

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12