RepackboxRotoMetals2Load DataLee Precision
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingWideners
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Needed: 30-40 broken shell extractor

Boolit Grand Master

Needed: 30-40 broken shell extractor

But it is for my 25 Krag AI so it cannot involve the neck. I would use one of the other ways to get one cartridge out, but this suggests that the Graf's brass isn't all that strong. I'm guessing this is not the only one I will break. So if a 30-40 Krag broken shell extractor is available I would guess I need one.

Any hope? I know they were common at one point in history.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    A 303 might work
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

I've used a tap. Epoxy the tap into a small 1/4" drive socket, use a long 1/4" extension to GENTLY thread the tap into the case, then a cleaning rod from the muzzle with a jag in it .push/tap will generally get a case out that has separated.

Boolit Grand Master

Yeah, if I had a 303 shell extractor, it probably would work! And I'd have to size and buy the tap, since I don't have any, so I might as well spend the money on the real thing if they are still available.
    Wayne the Shrink

Do you already have cerrosafe? Do a neck casting and knock it out. The broken case will come along with it and you can melt and reuse the cerrosafe with no chance at damaging the chamber.

Some alternative methods that usually/sometimes work. If you have a steel rod like an old WW II barracks cleaning rod, or just a plain rod like a long piece of drill rod, you can gently run it down the bore until you feel the corner of the edge of the rod contact the edge of the case's mouth. Then tap the rod a bit with a medium sized hammer and often the case will be knocked out. Another way is to get an oversized cleaning brush, in your case maybe .45 caliber, screw it onto the end of a cleaning rod, jam it into the chamber and twist it to lock it in, then pull backward on the cleaning rod. Best if it's a new brush with no lube on it, and it will usually ruin the brush for its intended use, but often still usable on a smaller caliber.

DG

Boolit Grand Master
    Any GI broken shell extractor I ever saw was caliber specific, i.e. .22 caliber for the 5.56, .30 cal for the 06 or 7.62. There was some variation in length, in that you could probably use an 06 for a .308, but not the .308 for an 06. I never saw one for a .30-40.

With your .25 Krag, I would try the brush then the more involved methods. I would likely try the cerrosafe first, because I happen to have it.

The tap inside the case method has always been my very last resort. Thankfully I have not had to use it, yet.

Robert

Boolit Grand Master

Ok, if they were never made I do have a brush and cerrosafe. I did once use a bolt with cuts in it for my 44-40 chamber. This is an Encore, so it will be easier. I just assumed that they were made for every Army cartridge.
    Wayne the Shrink

FWIW, I've long successfully removed broken cases from rifle chamber vis inserting a spring hook tool into the rear of the brass and hooking the forward edge of the case mouth to draw the case segment out. (the hooked tip can be easily bent a bit to provide the hook with more "bite")

https://www.amazon.com/Moody-51-1850...IHZfD_BwE&th=1
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    I think someone took over the old Echo shell extractor business; at least I’ve seen them in what looks like newer packaging. A search ought to at least establish whether they are still in business.

They are caliber specific. If you have a lathe, you can turn a rim on a piece of aluminum, a 0.305” or so straight section longer than the shell, and a few jags on the other end. A hole down the center of this, two 90 degree hacksaw cuts across the end and some judicious expanding with a bullet or Phillips screwdriver in the hole will give the jags the spring to go through the case neck and pop out to grip the mouth. You just chamber the thing, close the bolt, open it again and pull the thing back out.

You can also do a straight piece with hole, cuts and jags and a screw or nut in the mouth with a nut in the back. Slide it in, tighten the nut a little with a small socket or wrench to expand the jags and push out from the muzzle with a cleaning rod.

If you use a tap, be very careful or you will have to set the barrel back and redo a gashed chamber. Don’t ask me how I know this.

One thing I’ve noticed is that if you buy a commercial extractor it acts like a talisman—you take the one broken shell out and it never happens again.