Inline FabricationReloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2
Load DataTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cast vs Jacketed Load Data?

Boolit Buddy

Cast vs Jacketed Load Data?

45ACP230grCFEPistolLoadData.pdf

I've attached a printout from Hodgdon's Reloading data. This shows loads for 45 ACP 230 gr bullets using CFE Pistol. One is a cast bullet, the other is FMJ. These two listings have the same COL.

I know load data for cast bullets are different from jacketed bullets but I don't know why. Could someone explain to me why there are differences in the loads between the two for the same weight and length?

The jacketed bullet is harder to push down the barrel
    and takes more powder to do it at the same speed as a cast one.

There are considerations for the powders burning rate that has to be factored in too.
    That's why some are suitable for one thing, but not another.

Some can do sort of a balancing act and work (within limitations) for both cast & jacketed.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

Lead bullets having a lower pressure for the same load jacketed is not always true as shown in the OP link.

Cast --- 6.2 942 20,100 PSI
    FMJ----- 6.8 934 19,800 PSI

more discussion here https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...keted-pressure
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 12-14-2023 at 02:17 AM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Lead bullets having a lower pressure for the same load jacketed is not always true...
    Theory du jour being that the cast/softer lead seals the bore faster/better/reducing blow-by -- thereby increasing pressure.

AT THE SAME TIME . . . I gotta wonder about the Hodgdon Data.
    I'm getting "FMJ" velocities with Cast Lyman 452374/225gr (#2) loads
    (6.2gr CFE-Pistol gives only 820fps out of a standard 5" gov' 1911 . . . nowhere near 942 that Hodgdon indicates
    (kinda makes you wonder if they've got the loads (FMJ/Cast) reversed.

( YMMV comes to mind )
    Last edited by mehavey; 12-14-2023 at 02:26 AM.

Banned
    Lee has 1 grain factor reduction for cast loads in with jacketed loads

Some good exlpantions here! I shoot 230gr RN cast as well as 230gr CMJ from time to time in IPSC style matches.
    To achieve the same power factor I need to increase the powder charge on the CMJ's by 0.5 gr, using a fast burning powder.
    The gliding properties of copper is different to that of a lead based alloy, the copper coated boolit takes more energy to be pushed down the barrel compared to a lead boolit.

Boolit Buddy
    Bullet diameters are different. Cast bullet has larger diameter= more pressure= more velocity.

Boolit Grand Master
    Even for the same weight, cast vs jacketed bullets may have, different bearing areas, diameters and case volumes (seating depths). Those factors will affect pressure.

I do not need my loads to be at maximum so I do not worry about it. Another 50 fps in a pistol load is irrelevant. In fact, I do not have any pistol loads at "maximum" published data.

I do not shoot cast in rifles but still load under maximum published loads with jacketed as that is where I am getting the best accuracy.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    I have found that there is more difference between different published loads than there is between cast and jacketed. And what I get out of my guns is different between brands. I used to shoot three Colt mfg 1911's. One had a Barsto barrel, one a Colt NM, and one a Colt std (had a LOT of rounds through it). They were between 50 and 100fps different with the same loads. The NM barrel shot jacketed at a higher vel than cast while he other two the cast was faster (for the same powder loads, and bullet weight/shape).

I did some testing with Sierra 170gr FN and Lee 170gr FN Cast (172gr GC and Powder Coated) with my Winchester 94, 30-30.

The same load of Win748 produced an identical POI at 50 yards for me....YMMV I regularly switch between bullets and boolits with that gun.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Grand Master

In pistol cartridges, after pressure testing attempting to prove this one way or another without success, I've come to believe the differences in measured pressures are more a function of difference seating depths. A very small difference in seating depth [not to be confused with OAL] can change the volume of small pistol cartridges enough to cause the discrepancies of measured pressures. Also keep in mind, as observed in the example M-Tecs' post, the less seating depth give greater case volume requiring more powder to achieve the same velocity and/or pressure.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

FWIW - the original #1 Lee loading manual made no distinction between cast + jacketed in the loading tables -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by schutzen-jager View Post
    FWIW - the original #1 Lee loading manual made no distinction between cast + jacketed in the loading tables -
    sorry, not in all calibers. I have the most recent manual

https://exhaustnotes.us/blog/wp-cont...0497-600-1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by castmiester View Post
    sorry, not in all calibers. I have the most recent manual

https://exhaustnotes.us/blog/wp-cont...0497-600-1.jpg
    i clearly stated that it was in the #1 Lee manual + there is no differentation between bullets in all rifle + pistol calibers listed - i have used some of that data for over 1/2 a century in .32acp, .32 s&w, .32 s&w long , .38 s&w, .38 spec. .38 super, .357, 9mm, .308, .30/06 , 30/30/ + others with never 1 hint of any problems - not the hottest loads but they all performed perfectly ! -
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lee #1.jpg  
    Last edited by schutzen-jager; 12-14-2023 at 04:27 PM.
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by schutzen-jager View Post
    i clearly stated that it was in the #1 Lee manual + there is no differentation between bullets in all rifle + pistol calibers listed - i have used some of that data for over 1/2 a century in .32acp, .32 s&w, .32 s&w long , .38 s&w, .38 spec. .38 super, .357, 9mm, .308, .30/06 , 30/30/ + others with never 1 hint of any problems - not the hottest loads but they all performed perfectly ! -
    understood, but I just wanted to show about the recent manual.

Boolit Master
    this is the sort of thing I was asking some time back for 44 magnum as have lots of data for that but not much for shotgun powder and jacketed projectiles lol sort of the shoe on other foot. but as I always like to run load middle of road,it seems its not going to be an issue.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by billmc2 View Post
    I know load data for cast bullets are different from jacketed bullets but I don't know why. Could someone explain to me why there are differences in the loads between the two for the same weight and length?
    Accuracy.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Comparing load data across various bullets & various load manuals leads me to believe that we just don’t know everything there is to know about loading ammo and predicting pressures.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by justindad View Post
    Comparing load data across various bullets & various load manuals leads me to believe that we just don’t know everything there is to know about loading ammo and predicting pressures.
    I appreciate all of the info and responses, but as you point out, I'm beginning to suspect there might be a good bit of Vodou involved as well. Its a wonder how any of us are still around with all our parts and pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by billmc2 View Post
    Its a wonder how any of us are still around with all our parts and pieces.
    Yeah. Just don't shoot your eye out kid.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast