WidenersLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Load DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading

Thread: Radian gas sealing chamber ?

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately

Radian gas sealing chamber ?

I have tried to google this but apparently I'm using the wrong words because I can't find what I'm looking for. My Grandson bought one of these for his glock and I really don't understand what it is supposed to be doing. So...........

What is the purpose of the "gas sealing" chamber/barrel?

Because of the "step" in the chamber, how much does this effect case life?

As with nearly EVERYTHING glock, I am not especially impressed, particularly given the price.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Banner Sponsor

I'm not sure what your grandson could have ordered to seal the barrel.
    A picture would help.

Boolit Grand Master

2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    He ordered a Radian gas sealing barrel for his glock.

This from the RDIAN WEB SITE:

RAMJETTM PISTOL BARREL

The Radian RAMJET is a match-grade pistol barrel that delivers an accurate and reliable weapon system. The fluted barrel features a gas sealing chamber as well as a loaded chamber indicator.

The RAMJET™ barrel is hardened 416R SS, enhanced with a DLC (Diamond-Like Carbon) coating. This combination achieves low friction, high hardness, and high corrosion resistance, making overall durability and erosion from muzzle blast a non-issue.

Installed onto a G19, the AFTERBURNER + RAMJET combo increases the overall length of the slide to a G17 allowing compatibility with all G17 holsters.

FEATURES
    Hardened 416R stainless steel Match grade cut barrel Gas sealing chamber Loaded chamber indicator Available in black DLC

There is actually a step in the front of the chamber approx. 1/4" long, that is smaller in diameter than the rest of the chamber, just a few thousandths smaller but visible and detectable with a feeler such as a dowel. It makes a very definite measurable ring in the fired case that is quite sharp, thus my question about case life.
    Last edited by roysha; 12-13-2023 at 08:41 PM.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Boolit Master

All chambers are "gas-sealing". A picture of what it actually is or does would be nice.

Another gimmick, kind of like buying special sub-sonic 45acp ammo at a premium price.

The gas sealing might be where the end of the brake/compensator is bore dia. and not bigger.
    If so, the expanding gas would give a extra push to hold the muzzle down as it went out the port behind the bullet.
    It might get ya to the same place 'Magna-Porting' did for revolvers.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    I let the expanding brass seal off the chamber.
    Loren

Boolit Master

I get the feeling they're adding catchy buzzwords to sell product. Use of the term "match-grade" is usually the first clue.

The key to figuring out what they have going on would be using pin gauges. A 9mm case is slightly tapered, so the largest diameter pin gauge that goes all the way to the end of the chamber in a stock Glock barrel may not get as far in one of these. . .but it still has to be able to accept the .380" spec case mouth diameter of a 9x19mm round, so they only have a few thousandths of an inch to play with at most.

But yeah - your expanding brass is what seals the chamber, like it's been doing since about 1860.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master
    Sorry might be a little off topic but I believe it’s relevant. I was at a gun show couple years back and I stopped at a booth and had A new cleaning system for your handgun just out of curiosity. Young guy that was there show me how clean his new Glock was. He then proceeded to tell me about all the gizmos and goober Smoochers he added to his glock, which amounted to close to $2000 in add-ons. He was very proud of how he paid roughly $600 for his Glock and added all those other items telling me this was about a $3000 glock I was looking at. (Prices may vary lol) I looked at him and said well that’s why I didn’t buy a Glock. He kind of tilted his head back-and-forth and said what do you mean. I said well it’s obviously Glocks don’t work from the factory. You bought your Glock and had to spend three times the cost the gun to get it to work. My Ruger work just fine out of the box and walked away. My point is, if that’s your thing and you have the funding go for it. As far as my needs, there is no real reason to start adding parts and pieces, barrels, triggers, etc. on my defense handgun, quite frankly if it don’t work out in the box I’m not interested! Can’t tell you how many times I’ve had somebody tell me I really needed to get a Glock because it has all these accessories you can buy. I just laugh and walk away.
    Oh and no, I’m not bashing GLOCKS! Just the people that treat it like a New stereo receiver that you have to add speakers, cd players, turntables, tape decks etc. to get it to work! And yes I am that old!
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!