Load DataInline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Reloading Everything

Thread: Holsters for Hi-Powers?

Holsters for Hi-Powers?

Recently acquired a Springfield SA-35. After rounding off the corners of the "beavertail" and doing some trigger work, I really like it. However, I was surprised to see how few holsters are available for Hi-Powers. I'm currently carrying it in an old thumb break holster for a 1911. It works pretty well, other than going in a little too far. I carry it cocked and locked while knocking around the farm, and like the extra safety margin of the strap between hammer and firing pin. The strap just a little looser than I'd like. I've seen only one thumb break for the HP, and the photo is of a striker gun, and isn't exactly what I have in mind. Anyone know of a source for TB leather for the HP?

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by fourarmed View Post
    Recently acquired a Springfield SA-35. After rounding off the corners of the "beavertail" and doing some trigger work, I really like it. However, I was surprised to see how few holsters are available for Hi-Powers. I'm currently carrying it in an old thumb break holster for a 1911. It works pretty well, other than going in a little too far. I carry it cocked and locked while knocking around the farm, and like the extra safety margin of the strap between hammer and firing pin. The strap just a little looser than I'd like. I've seen only one thumb break for the HP, and the photo is of a striker gun, and isn't exactly what I have in mind. Anyone know of a source for TB leather for the HP?
    A while back a friend had a similar challenge -- he was afraid of losing his Casull while riding his Harley! He found/bought a bag of leather pieces -- I might be wrong but beieve it was from a Harbor Freight store. He borrowed a needle from my wife, and using dental floss as "thread" sewed it on. It worked!
    geo

Boolit Buddy
    Pretty much all of the thumb break holsters for the HP don't provide a strap between the hammer and the slide.

As an option, if you like the one that you have other than the strap being a bit loose just take it to a local shoe repair shop and have them reset the snap. They also could tighten up the stitching just a bit to allow the pistol to ride higher, if so desired.

Boolit Grand Master
    Any leathercrafter worth his salt can fix you up. There was a guy on here that runs Whyte Leatherworks, but I don't see him amongst the vendor sponsors anymore. A phone call to the Arizona Gun Leather Co might get you what you want. Specify cocked and locked when you talk to them.

Another thought is to look for one of the nylon bag holsters with an adjustable thumb break strap
    Last edited by rintinglen; 12-13-2023 at 12:41 AM.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Buddy
    If you want a custom holster there are several makers around. I'd suggest taking a look at this one:

http://www.wom-leather.com/?page_id=21

Thanks guys! Being a "frugal" sort of guy, I think I'll try modifying the one I have. Probably my first attempt will be stuffing something down in the bottom to shorten it up. It'll need to be something that won't hold moisture or move around. Maybe a piece of very dense foam. I have an archery target around somewhere that might work. Not elegant, but reversible.

Boolit Master
    If you decide to buy a holster, exercise caution as some/many holster makers claim that the 1911 and Hi Power can use the same holster, and only offer one type - made for a 1911.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

That's good to know! I've tried mine in several 1911 holsters that I have, and it "sort of" fits, but not really securely. Without a safety strap of some kind, I wouldn't trust them very far.

Boolit Master

I generally provision my classics (Hi Power, Colt Diamondback, etc) with older leather from ebay. Faves are Safariland and Bianchi.

I don't think this one is still offered from High Noon, made in Australia back in the day. Got one for a very good friend years ago.

Boolit Master

DeSantis makes their Thumb Break Scabbard for the BHP: https://www.desantisholster.com/thumb-break-scabbard/

I've run 1911's, Glocks, and a couple large frame 4" wheelguns in that model. They comfy!
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.