Reloading EverythingRepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationWideners
Titan Reloading Load Data

Thread: Keter Tool Box Latch

Boolit Master

Keter Tool Box Latch

Sadly my much used and perfectly sized Keter rolling toll box that holds all my standard range gear suffered a latch failure after some jerk cut me off and brake checked me in traffic (I hate holiday panic shoppers) resulting in a near panic stop causing the box to slide the length of the truck bed and crash into the forward bulkhead of the bed. For the moment a long bungie holds it closed enough for casual movement but I do want to make it “right” again.

I contacted the company and received a nice reply stating that although the boxes are still available on the market they discontinued production many years ago and no replacement parts are available. I searched the web for OEM replacement parts to no avail. Though I could conceivably buy an new replacement box the $70+ price tag chaps my hide when all I need is a $2.00 part to fit a perfectly good box and also avoid figuring out some alternative latching/locking system.

A casual conversation with a co-worker led to him sending me the link below- Obviously I’m not the first to be annoyed by this inability to procure this simple part.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:433757

Here’s the ask- could someone with a 3D printer give me a quote to make me a pair of these (one for now and one for the future) out of ABS? There’s a couple on-line places that I may try but figured I would ask here first.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Keter Latch II.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	64.3 KB 
ID:	320866

Boolit Master
    Does it take both parts shown to make one latch? Since I've not yet downloaded the files it's hard for me to tell if both parts are the same or not.

Can you use yellow ABS? That's the only color I've got in ABS. If you want some color other than yellow we'll have to order a roll of filament.

I'll download the files tomorrow and see what it looks like.

edit - I looked at the files a tad more - looks like there is only one file for each latch. Let me get that printed up tomorrow and we'll see what it looks like
    Last edited by KenH; 12-12-2023 at 10:08 PM.

Boolit Bub
    I took a look at the file - and there is only one file to print. Thingiverse just has three different downloadable formats. One appears to be a design file, not sure of the .thing file, but the printable file is the .stl. A few notes on this file - it is almost 9 years old - and must have been posted in the early days of hobby 3D printing - probably from an industrial source. If you notice - it will be a VERY tricky print because of the shape. From my experience, the best orientation for printing will be the same orientation as the broken part in the picture above -- but this will require 'supports' and make the area around the large center hole (on the bottom just above the wood surface in the picture) fairly rough. Also, ABS is also a pain to print - it tends to warp - but that is manageable. Is there a reason for ABS instead of PETG? - which is generally easier to print without warping, just as strong, and (in my experience) allows for more flex. I have found ABS to more brittle - and (maybe) more prone to break in the area of the broken part in the picture.

Boolit Bub

Keter Tool Box latch-printed

Name:	latch1-min.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	45.2 KB 
ID:	320935Click image for larger version. 

Name:	latch2-min.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	42.0 KB 
ID:	320936

Here is the latch - printed - pic2 is the bottom side that was face down to the print bed - and required supports. It printed better than expected, but is still a little rougher than the top side (pic1). It is printed in PETG - I could print in ABS - but, seriously, they won't be any stronger. if you want I can send them to you for postage if you want to give them a try. No guarantees.

Boolit Master
    Those printed pretty good. I did the latch in PLA for a test print, then the yellow is ABS. I printed standing up, but with plenty of supports that I had to remove after printing.

Name:	IMG-5152.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	32.2 KB 
ID:	320946

Boolit Master
    flemdoug and KenH you guys are definitely rockstars.

I’ve been in offline discussions with Ken and he’s almost finished with them. My apologies for not getting back to the post sooner.

ABS was recommended by my friend at work, I personally have no clue either way.

Thank You for making the stupid simple…
    Last edited by metricmonkeywrench; 12-13-2023 at 07:13 PM.

Boolit Bub
    KenH - Yours look pretty good and they are in ABS so I will let you work it out with metricmonkeywrench. I apologize for stepping in without checking with you first.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by flemdoug View Post
    KenH - Yours look pretty good and they are in ABS so I will let you work it out with metricmonkeywrench. I apologize for stepping in without checking with you first.
    Nothing to think about. I appreciate your comments on PETG filament. I think I might some PETG. If so might print one in PETG and see how it works out for him.

KenH>

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by flemdoug View Post
    No apologies from you are necessary, I’m at fault for not keeping up on the post.

Moderator Emeritus

You could also try the crazy glue and ash (cigarette, fireplace, etc) for a repair. Plenty of youtube videos showing it. I know, not a 3d print but an option till you get one.

Boolit Master
    An update on the print today - another ABS with 100% fill, but this one was with "high quality" print rather than yesterday's "Draft" mode. I forgot to check the quality of print when I did yesterday's ABS latch. The one today looks a bit better. I think either one is ok - let me get in mail today.

Name:	HuskyLatch.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	28.7 KB 
ID:	320980

Boolit Master
    Here's the follow-up and close out for those interested. As shown KenH made up a couple replacements and sent them my way. Between work and the holidays I juat had no chance to try them out. Being new to the 3D game for this type stuff I was not disappointed. I used the white one as Ken recommended that the PLA should be strong enough for use. If not I have the two yellow ones as back spares and i have no doubt they will fit just as well. A little bit of dremel work with a drum sander cleaned up the inner bore to pivot smoothly and cut a notch for the return spring and I'm back in business returning my trusty range box back to work.

Name:	Keeter Latch II.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	63.2 KB 
ID:	321556

Boolit Master
    Glad it worked for you. Anytime I can help, just holler

Gotta love how folks on this forum are willing to help each other out. Just a big thanks to all involved in this project for the willingness to help a fellow member out. Amazing how many different skills there is on this forum!
    Before you break into my house stand outside and get right with Jesus tell him you're on your way!!