Lee PrecisionWidenersSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
RepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load Data
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: trespassers in hunting season.

Moderator Emeritus

Not hunting related but I used to get snowmobilers riding across my front yard... where the snow blew clear they tore the crap out of the grass... so I put up a 4 wire fence, properly marked it with a sign 100 yards down the ditch, and had red warning flags on the wires.

Guy rides into it with his brand new sled ripping the windshield and him off it. Snowmobile ended up by my garage where it sat for a year as the court case went on. Yup he tried to sue me for a hazardous fence despite it being legally marked. I showed the sign in the ditch with a date code on the pic, same for the marked fence wires...

His defense "Well there was never a fence there so I can ride across that lawn whenever I please".

Judge finally had enough of his stupid motions, gave me a summary judgement of all court fees and ownership of the snowmobile since it was on my property. I sold the sled for parts(it was pretty messed up with wires wound up in the track, hood was wrecked, electrical was ripped up... guy hit the fence at 60mph). Guy also had to pay his own medical bills for the broken arm and ribs. And for damages to the fence! I put the fence back up and after 4 years the city banned riding sleds in town so no more coming in across peoples front yards. Sled owners could take alleys to the nearest trail around town, riders could come in to the bar via 1 of 2 marked trails in the downtown area. Now there are groomed trails that are very well marked.

Now I deal with kids on 4 wheelers ripping across my backyard... that is coming to an end. Sheriff has arrested 4 of them for being under age and no helmet, 4 wheelers impounded until the parents show up in court... all coming from 2 families who moved into town last year. 2 families who will not last here because their juvenile delinquent kids will land them in jail eventually. They moved into the same house, major complaints of drug use there, loud parties... just not a good scene. Families like that never last here, people will call the cops on them, often! They moved here from Minneapolis after Dakota county basically said they will go to jail if they come back...

Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    a couple things got me thinking about this. my property is well posted and have only had 1 incident several years ago. but on neighboring property ive been seeing people truck hunting. do you have to deal with trespassers during hunting season?
    On my wife's property I have to deal with it all the time. We do run a few cattle on part of the property, but it is mostly people who drop off fighting dogs that can't fight anymore. We used to have neighbors out there that would let their kids hunt with out permission, but that ended a couple of years ago.

ACC

Quote Originally Posted by ACC View Post
    On my wife's property I have to deal with it all the time. We do run a few cattle on part of the property, but it is mostly people who drop off fighting dogs that can't fight anymore. We used to have neighbors out there that would let their kids hunt with out permission, but that ended a couple of years ago.

ACC
    The Law in this country does not allow for the proper treatment of animal dumpers. I could elaborate but I'll restrain myself.

Let's just say it won't go well if I get wind of it.

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Ammo’s costly and so is dog food. A guy I knew would always poach on mom’s 10 acres of woods. He tore down all the property flags and pulled out the stakes. Used night vision at 2-3 am. Michigan DNR never caught him. He’d drive his truck backwards up to the property line and drop off his hunting shanty facing into our land. Mom lost her place to the “wonderful” reverse mortgage people. I cuss out Tom Selleck every time he comes on the tube . I was sure his stand would end up boobytraped…..

Quote Originally Posted by fiberoptik View Post
    Ammo’s costly and so is dog food. A guy I knew would always poach on mom’s 10 acres of woods. He tore down all the property flags and pulled out the stakes. Used night vision at 2-3 am. Michigan DNR never caught him. He’d drive his truck backwards up to the property line and drop off his hunting shanty facing into our land. Mom lost her place to the “wonderful” reverse mortgage people. I cuss out Tom Selleck every time he comes on the tube . I was sure his stand would end up boobytraped…..
    Well bless his heart and praise the Lord.

Either you know what that means of you don't.

Boolit Master

Over the years we have had much trespass for many reasons Snowmobiles ,Dirt Bikes, ATV's , poachers (if they are trespassing it is not hunting)and of coarse thieves . This fall I had atv's come into my other property they cut trees and moved log barricade to get in left Bud light cans littered on my land and the state land they came in from . A few T posts were driven deep in the ground a trail cam put high on a tree they returned but stayed out leaving more Bud light cans . The camera only got the front of one ATV no people were pictured that did not belong .
    This place has had several issues I have gone out in my blind in deer season at sunrise to smell cigarette smoke and see tracks in the frost . Another time while I was still working I came up and found tracks rabbit hunters shot my garage and the old farm house shooting at rabbits . They were very bold drove in drive and next to house parking behind the house to hunt . I did find out and talk to that guy when he came in drive a couple weekends later. he backed out but I got in car and followed the tracks in the new snow and found him trespassing nearby. He denied everything I took film of him and his truck told him not to return. Not long after DNR caught him and arrested him on many charges , he was not local even but his family used to have property nearby.

My Grandfather owned my other land since 1953 I remember drunks driving though at 2&3 in the morning spot lighting in the 1970's I would grab the shot gun and fire one shot in the air , then two more so if a DNR officer was within hearing range he would come looking . The drunks would always leave quickly knowing they may get caught . Once we heard shots after they went though Trespassing after opening the gate next morning there was a deer along the two track head removed the rest wasted . The other end of the two track went out on state land same place that ATV's reopened this year .
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Master

A few years ago, I was setting up to do some load testing on our club range...8:30 AM on a weekday and I had the place all to myself...when this guy with a shotgun wanders out of the woods behind the 200-yard berm, heading across the 300-yard lane. Now, our 8 acres is completely fenced with "Danger - Shooting range - No Tresspassing" signs hung every 25 yards. For a moment, I was sorely tempted to smack one of the steel targets in front of the 200 berm but, instead, jumped in my Jeep and drove downrange. The guy says he thought he was on public land...the nearest DNR Public Hunting area is 1 1/2 miles away, on the other side of a county highway and a year-around creek...and didn't see any of our signs. After he turned around and went back the way he came, I called the guy who farms the ground on both sides of our range to give him a 'heads up' and he said he was going to call DNR. Never heard any more about it but doubt if the guy ever came around again.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

We own 120 acres that is surrounded by parcels from 50 to 200 acres. All property is posted and the largest landowner doesn’t hunt or allow hunters. Since I hunt my land more than all my neighbors and they all know it they stay on their side of the earth. If you aren’t on your land fairly often, interlopers will sneak on. Basically they are no better than thieves.

I go out to the property at lest one a week sometimes more often since we also have old drilling out there. In Wilson county I am registered as a range warden. That way I have authority on my wife's property. And yes I have arrested people. On the property. I also know the sheriff really well.

ACC

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Papalote View Post
    Texas penal code 30.05 criminal trespass.
    I'd hate to find out about Texas penal code 30.06!

Boolit Master

^^^^ I do believe it may also be called S.S.S. !
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Master

I own 320 acres of farmland managed for wildlife. While hunting it, every 2 to 3 years, I get advised by folks I don't know that I am on private property and that i should leave.
    I simply ask them who the owner is and then tell them to call the owner who can then lay trespass charges.
    They never call...
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...

Boolit Master
    Close to da Creaux,Hang'n out in Swamp's and Bayou's
    I have a dead man crawling around on my hunting property with his eyeballs dragging in the dirt,
    I tell all the locals' about the Marine whom blew his eyeballs out back in January 2014
    Seems he shot a bit too far forward, Took him a month to die down at the VA's hospital in B.Rouge
    Would tell yall about Heidi the love doll I found out there but I wouldn't want to bore yall to death or get the boot!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12