Load DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
WidenersRotoMetals2Inline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Powder prices and avalablity in your area?

Boolit Master
    Or one could be called a New Yorker.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawlerbrook View Post
    Sorry, but here in NYS I prefer to treat my ammo and components to the Boy Scout motto……Be prepared ! Just ask the deer hunters that were pulling their hair our last November when they were told it would take 30 days to get a box of ought six for opening day. I have no problem with guys( I am one) that want a lifetime supply, my problem is with those that gobble up everything they can to turn a profit. Was done around here a while back when 22 lr was unobtainable.
    Living in a somewhat free state of FL both ammo and powder can be purchased off the net. This also include primers. It is all being sold and when out of stock, if you wait at least on the internet will be back in stock.

If I am willing to pay a little more for the ammo and the shipping-hazmat, I can buy the most common calibers and I can get 22LR. I may have to wait until precisely what I want comes back into stock, but it is there. I have an order for 5,000 rd of CCI SV 40 grain lead at 7 cent/rd plus state sales tax and insurance being processed. I waited a while for it to come back in stock. It is the lesser used rounds that cost. I see AAC Palmetto S arms has 77 gr 5.56 at a decent price. As soon as the .22 shows up on my doorstep I will buy some of the 77 gr 5.56.
    Last edited by barnetmill; 01-14-2024 at 08:47 AM.

Boolit Grand Master
    I used to shoot 20k rounds a year. For some people, enough "stuff" for me to shoot one year would be considered hoarding. For others, a five year supply is minimal planning. Imagine that...enough stuff to shoot 100k rounds...what a hoarder!!!

IMO "hoarding" components and ammunition is dependent on four factors. How much you want to shoot, how much you "need" to shoot (I was shooting over 7000 rounds a year in competition), how long you expect to shoot, and if you are planning for your heirs.

If someone cannot afford the hobby, that is not the fault of hoarders. Someone who calls me a hoarder because I planned and invested to meet MY wants/needs is missing the point of why they are not prepared.

I am not buying primers at $75-150/k because I do not need to! The folks who "hoarded" years ago are not the problem. It is those who did not plan and have to pay to play that are keeping prices up. If everyone had a 10 year supply, they could not sell primers for $75-150/k. There would be no market.

I hope the "new hoarders" keep buying at stupid prices. If they did not have the money to buy 100k primers 10 years ago, they are unlikely to have the money to do much hoarding now. That will cause the bottom to fall out of the market.

I will buy back in when that happens. Sold over 50% of my primers to grasshoppers during "the panic". Need/want to stock back up but I am in no hurry. Once the grasshoppers eat everything in the field, they will die off.

There is not unlimited demand. There is more primer manufacturing coming on stream. IMO prices will come down. The grasshoppers will stop buying at high prices when they have about a three supply (just how they are wired) and most are low volume shooters. Folks like me who plan for more than 10 years can and will wait it out.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    I used to shoot 20k rounds a year. For some people, enough "stuff" for me to shoot one year would be considered hoarding. For others, a five year supply is minimal planning. Imagine that...enough stuff to shoot 100k rounds...what a hoarder!!!

IMO "hoarding" components and ammunition is dependent on four factors. How much you want to shoot, how much you "need" to shoot (I was shooting over 7000 rounds a year in competition), how long you expect to shoot, and if you are planning for your heirs.

If someone cannot afford the hobby, that is not the fault of hoarders. Someone who calls me a hoarder because I planned and invested to meet MY wants/needs is missing the point of why they are not prepared.

I am not buying primers at $75-150/k because I do not need to! The folks who "hoarded" years ago are not the problem. It is those who did not plan and have to pay to play that are keeping prices up. If everyone had a 10 year supply, they could not sell primers for $75-150/k. There would be no market.

I hope the "new hoarders" keep buying at stupid prices. If they did not have the money to buy 100k primers 10 years ago, they are unlikely to have the money to do much hoarding now. That will cause the bottom to fall out of the market.

I will buy back in when that happens. Sold over 50% of my primers to grasshoppers during "the panic". Need/want to stock back up but I am in no hurry. Once the grasshoppers eat everything in the field, they will die off.

There is not unlimited demand. There is more primer manufacturing coming on stream. IMO prices will come down. The grasshoppers will stop buying at high prices when they have about a three supply (just how they are wired) and most are low volume shooters. Folks like me who plan for more than 10 years can and will wait it out.
    Don Verna: shooters like you are actually a minority of those that are buying components. Most of the buying is by people building stockpiles for a world without rule of law. And 1,000 rds on hand for a rifle is not enough for them. End result is that someone like me that was only buying maybe enough for 1 or 2 years in advance of what I would actually shoot is out scrambling looking for more. Now I have a bit more than that.
    Now as I have already stated I will only be reloading for what ammo that i can not buy at reasonable pricing. I have hoarded some things, but until prices return to what I consider fair, I will only be buying what I am planning in the near future to reload.

Boolit Master
    One only has to look at the current and probable future restrictions on trans-ocean shipping to see the core of supply delays and price increases. The Feds got OSHA to shut down every lead production and processing factory in the U.S. If all you buy is a 100-round box of musket balls they're being imported from someplace, probably in the Balkans. I think we may already be in the same situation with most smokeless powders. Hodgdon bought the remains of Goex BP and is supposedly bringing that back on line, but most BP shooters had already developed a preference for foreign-produced BP before Goex went under this last time. So, bottom line is that none of our needed supplies is going to become more available or less expensive. The most visual manifestation of that here in the Atlanta area is the demise of IDPA and cowboy shoots. For those of us who used to participate and used our loaded ammo, the cost of primers today is more than an entire round of ammo used to cost even if we bought someone else's cast boolits to load. I was loading some cowboy-level .45-70 the other day for an 1886 and pulled a 4-pound jug of 2400 from my stash and it had a tag on it for $79.99. Those weren't even the best days as some of you recall. To paraphrase an old Army break motto, "Take it easy and shoot 'em if you got 'em". Have a great day and I hope you all find what you need. GF

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray Fox View Post
    One only has to look at the current and probable future restrictions on trans-ocean shipping to see the core of supply delays and price increases. The Feds got OSHA to shut down every lead production and processing factory in the U.S. If all you buy is a 100-round box of musket balls they're being imported from someplace, probably in the Balkans. I think we may already be in the same situation with most smokeless powders. Hodgdon bought the remains of Goex BP and is supposedly bringing that back on line, but most BP shooters had already developed a preference for foreign-produced BP before Goex went under this last time. So, bottom line is that none of our needed supplies is going to become more available or less expensive. The most visual manifestation of that here in the Atlanta area is the demise of IDPA and cowboy shoots. For those of us who used to participate and used our loaded ammo, the cost of primers today is more than an entire round of ammo used to cost even if we bought someone else's cast boolits to load. I was loading some cowboy-level .45-70 the other day for an 1886 and pulled a 4-pound jug of 2400 from my stash and it had a tag on it for $79.99. Those weren't even the best days as some of you recall. To paraphrase an old Army break motto, "Take it easy and shoot 'em if you got 'em". Have a great day and I hope you all find what you need. GF
    The sky is not falling yet.
    I believe that most hodgdon powders are made in the USA. Yes and the price of ammo and components has gone up and dry fire is still cheap and there are laser devices for training.
    For IDPA if I wanted to do it I have enough ammo. And also I am not rich. I see locally one of my clubs is still sponsoring action pistol shooting and I believe the SAS crowd is putting on their matches.

Boolit Master

I picked up another can of Varget yesterday for $51 at the local gun shop. Hard to stock up at these prices, but I'm trying.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Grand Master

You never pay too much, you only buy too soon.

In 10 years you can brag about how you were smart enough to lay in stock at only $51 a pound.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master
    I am not a high volume shooter. I doubt I shoot 1000 rds of center fire a year. At age 75, I have enough components to shoot as much as I want for the rest of my life. A couple months ago I looked at a Bimart and the powder prices ranged from about $35 to $65 per lb with quite a selection available. I suppose I could be called a hoarder but I bought most of my components more than 5 years ago and not all at once. And, I don't care much what folks call me.

About 50 years ago I ran low on small rifle primers and they weren't available. I vowed to not let that happen again and it hasn't.

Im having so much trouble trying to find any Percussion caps for my revolver it will use No 11 and No 11 Magnum Caps or No 10 perdussion capsill buy the six nipples in No 10 guys do any of you know any place that are selling any percussion caps Please just let me know and im going to replace everything now anyways and i shoot Triple7 loose powder and i am looking at the 30 grain pellets for my revolver im going to get another one fellas i will cast my own 44cal round balls i BELIEVE IN GOD TOTTALY AND HE IS GOING TO HELP ME WITH THIS FELLAS WE MUST STAND TOGETHER AND LOOK OUT FOR EACH OTHER AND BE A GOOD HONEST FELLA

Boolit Grand Master

Buffalo Arms has #11 caps. Not cheap.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by trapper444 View Post
    Im having so much trouble trying to find any Percussion caps for my revolver it will use No 11 and No 11 Magnum Caps or No 10 perdussion capsill buy the six nipples in No 10 guys do any of you know any place that are selling any percussion caps Please just let me know and im going to replace everything now anyways and i shoot Triple7 loose powder and i am looking at the 30 grain pellets for my revolver im going to get another one fellas i will cast my own 44cal round balls i BELIEVE IN GOD TOTTALY AND HE IS GOING TO HELP ME WITH THIS FELLAS WE MUST STAND TOGETHER AND LOOK OUT FOR EACH OTHER AND BE A GOOD HONEST FELLA
    Look at the threads on making your own. Does not appear to be that difficult.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post

Yup. Each person's position is different. You have no clue what another is going through or planning on. Labeling someone a hoarder for getting to a position where they feel secure is no different than labeling legitimate gun owners as mass killing shooters. Apples and oranges. There is nothing fair about what is going on with supplies and prices but then again, life isn't fair. Buy when you can, take advantage of opportunities when you can, and plan ahead. When 22's were selling for about four cents each I bought a few cases. I call that being smart and able to take advantage as I had the money at the time. Others may call that hoarding but I learned a long time ago not to care what others think. Why should I let someone else dictate how I feel especially someone I do not personally know? Be prepared and find alternatives to accomplish what you want.

Boolit Master

There is enough food in the Freezers for 3 to 4 years to feed my wife and I.
    Expanded from 500 gallon to 1000 gallon propane tank, enough to take me to next winter.
    Six or seven cords of Fire wood - enough to take me to next fall.
    XXX commercial reloading components, XX of various chemicals for making primers, exploring 1940's style powder mfg.

My point is that none of this to me is hoarding; it s simply being able to be self sufficient and not dependent on external sources for near term to mid-term. Use of alternative solutions instead of doing without or complaining (i.e. making primers, use of alternative powders such as 50BMG or 20mm vulcan powders, exploring old DIY powder production tech, etc..). I believe we are in for some rough times over next 24 months; maybe even more. I choose to be prepared and will proudly take the slings of envy from those who choose to label me a "HOARDER". Read the Ant and Grass Hopper story.
    Last edited by MUSTANG; 01-16-2024 at 10:40 AM.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master
    Yesterday I went to a local gun show that used to be the only show in this area for many years. Tables were packed on the floor space and full of merchandise for sale. Yesterdays show had fewer tables, about 1/4 of them empty. There were NO tables with only reloading components as there used to be several sellers who always made the show. Perhaps these sellers did not like driving over ice, or perhaps they have been choked out from loss of access to the volume of components from distributors. Sad to see it but it is what we are all facing now. As I have done before, I am starting to use up the "ignored" components I have. They may not work as well as I wanted but they still work within their ability.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MUSTANG View Post
    There is enough food in the Freezers for 3 to 4 years to feed my wife and I.
    Expanded from 500 gallon to 1000 gallon propane tank, enough to take me to next winter.
    Six or seven cords of Fire wood - enough to take me to next fall.
    XXX commercial reloading components, XX of various chemicals for making primers, exploring 1940's style powder mfg.

My point is that none of this to me is hoarding; it s simply being able to be self sufficient and not dependent on external sources for near term to mid-term. Use of alternative solutions instead of doing without or complaining (i.e. making primers, use of alternative powders such as 50BMG or 20mm vulcan powders, exploring old DIY powder production tech, etc..). I believe we are in for some rough times over next 24 months; maybe even more. I choose to be prepared and will proudly take the slings of envy from those who choose to label me a "HOARDER". Read the Ant and Grass Hopper story.
    Well said Mustang
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456