Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLoad Data
WidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Powder prices and avalablity in your area?

Boolit Master
    My biggest fear with moving is after I move the laws change wherever I go.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Outer Rondacker View Post
    Don’t come to Oklahoma then!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Let’s see what November brings before I toss in the towel.
    It’s going to bring tears and no hope. The fix is in. Just like last time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

That happened to me. When I moved back to my hometown in 2012 after my divorce, I couldn't afford a decent home in Idaho. So I bought a house in Washington just across the border. 6 months after purchase, the newly elected liberal congress and Governor declared war on gun rights. WA and ID were nearly identical. Over the past 10 years, WA is now worse than CA while Idaho laws got more lax.

I will be moving a few miles into Idaho, but it will cost me about $400 a month in income tax.

The latest announcement from the communists on the West coast is a plan to tax ammo at 11%. Funny how my house would be worth another $100k if it was a couple of miles across the border in Idaho.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master
    Well I was able to grab some powder and primers from Midsouth. Only had large pistol but that was better than not having any LP. Paid 110 for 1k and around 50 pound powder after taxes and shipping with free hazmat.

Boolit Master

And I got a notice from Powder Valley this morning that Powder is going up on 15 Jan 2024 because of additional escalation of prices by manufacturers. I will be on the watch for Specials - but sure seems to be pricing many out of the market.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

We have a Bass Pro close( Utica, NY) but no powder or primers. Used to be able to use ship to store with no charge but that’s no longer an option for powder/primers. Best bet for us in “dry” states is the free hazmat option at places like Midsouth, Natchez, Graf’s etc.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MUSTANG View Post
    And I got a notice from Powder Valley this morning that Powder is going up on 15 Jan 2024 because of additional escalation of prices by manufacturers. I will be on the watch for Specials - but sure seems to be pricing many out of the market.
    The powder companies are just charging what the market will bear. Good ole capitalism about charging what you can. It might or might not stop if the DEMs lose in Nov 2024 or might not. IF the DEMs lose, then maybe they start stocking up because they think that the GOPers will go after them physically.

Boolit Master

Not a solution to existing or near term prices; but maybe there are glimmering rays of change. There is a new company establishing a plant in Glendive Montana to produce small arms munitions (9mm to 50BMG); as well as 20mm to 50mm, and Mortar rounds. There was an announcement in news print and Radio earlier this week. The company is Brixtel Defense;with HQ's in Virginia. https://brixteldefense.com

I saw a couple of references to their having contracts with NATO countries and with the USofA for production. Although I see no direct citation of selling to the commercial market; it is probable that we could see availability of excess/over run components and manufactured ammunition.

Of interest; I saw a citation that they manufacture powder. If so; perhaps we may see an emergence of "COMPETITION" in the industry that has been rife with acquisitions and reduction in numbers of companies; resulting in higher prices due to lack of competition. As the old saw goes "Only Time Will Tell".

A local NewsPrint article on the new production is found at: https://billingsgazette.com/news/sta...ded560679.html
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master
    Not a solution to existing or near term prices; but maybe there are glimmering rays of change. There is a new company establishing a plant in Glendive Montana to produce small arms munitions (9mm to 50BMG); as well as 20mm to 50mm, and Mortar rounds. There was an announcement in news print and Radio earlier this week. The company is Brixtel Defense;with HQ's in Virginia. https://brixteldefense.com

I saw a couple of references to their having contracts with NATO countries and with the USofA for production. Although I see no direct citation of selling to the commercial market; it is probable that we could see availability of excess/over run components and manufactured ammunition.

Of interest; I saw a citation that they manufacture powder. If so; perhaps we may see an emergence of "COMPETITION" in the industry that has been rife with acquisitions and reduction in numbers of companies; resulting in higher prices due to lack of competition. As the old saw goes "Only Time Will Tell".

A local NewsPrint article on the new production is found at: https://billingsgazette.com/news/sta...ded560679.html
    That is an awful lot for a relatively new company to do all at once. I hope it is true.

Boolit Master

I can get powder here. About every standard one used. Prices start at $31 a pound.

I couldn't find anything that Brixtel makes powder. Only that they use the approved ones.

Boolit Master

It is supposedly a "Spin Off" from some other (Unidentified to my Knowledge) Corporate entity. NOT as Start Up in the traditional role of an entrepreneur or group of Entrepreneurs/Investors getting together to begin a Ammunition/Powder company. I read and extrapolate some interesting observations based on the various sources with limited information available (released?). One significant one is that they specifically were looking for a Rail Spur adjacent to the desired plant location with the Capability of 100 or more Rail Cars. Receiving large quantities of items manufactured elsewhere and assembled there, Rail Road cars of Raw Materials, and Rail Road cars for outbound shipping are readily supportable for large volumes. The town has less than 5000 residents; and the County has less than 9,000. The Population has been seeking a replacement industry since the Burlington Northern Railroad closed the Roundhouse and downsized operations in the area.

The lesser population and remoteness coupled with a "Semi-Arid" climate (although extreme temperatures differentials of -50 to 117 have been seen) are excellent for the proposed industry (Think Hawthorne Nevada and the Fomer Navy - now Army run operations as a corollary). Reports are they intend to hire 350 people initially; and then expand from there.

I have not been able to ID specific "Manufacturing and Production" they intend. Their web site indicates they produce "Powder"; which the remote area would be favorable; but I might be ambitious and placing "wants" before reality. I still see encouragement as even the Assembly of components manufactured elsewhere would potentially result in over runs and "Seconds" that could be sold into a secondary sporting market; or to resellers like GI Brass, Bartlett Reloader, Wideners, or ....... Also; The references to "Existing" NATO contracts is intriguing in that this is not what one would expect with a "Small Startup".
    Last edited by MUSTANG; 01-13-2024 at 06:02 PM.
    Mustang

Yep. We heard a week and 1/2 ago from a main distributer that all powder is going up 30%.

I always laugh in the face of anyone that tells me the prices will eventually go back down. They will NEVER go back down because of the people that insist on shooting every day and keep buying no matter what the cost is.

Was told today at local candy store some powders would be $80.00 a pound on next order.
    Ky State Director IHMSA
    Hunter Ed Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Grand Master

I saw that notice and ordered an 8# jug of 4350. Midway was $131 more. I guess they have already taken advantage of the proposed price increase? I usually order 47-48# of powder from them at a time to spread the hazmat fees but I just don't need that much.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by reloader28 View Post
    Yep. We heard a week and 1/2 ago from a main distributer that all powder is going up 30%.

I always laugh in the face of anyone that tells me the prices will eventually go back down. They will NEVER go back down because of the people that insist on shooting every day and keep buying no matter what the cost is.
    People insist on hoarding.
    Lately I am back to just buying loaded ammo when I see a good deal. I am buying better loading equipment will only load when I can not get what I want or a good deal for what I want.
    For components only for what I have an immediate use for or I am completely out of.

That Darned dirty capitalism!
    I wish the government would seize the means of production from all these greedy business people and distribute ammunition and reloading components equitably! What a utopia that would be, huh?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by barnetmill View Post
    People insist on hoarding.
    Lately I am back to just buying loaded ammo when I see a good deal. I am buying better loading equipment will only load when I can not get what I want or a good deal for what I want.
    For components only for what I have an immediate use for or I am completely out of.
    What’s the difference between a hoarder and a guy that likes to shoot but has been burned often enough that they swore to themselves they’d never get caught short again?
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    What’s the difference between a hoarder and a guy that likes to shoot but has been burned often enough that they swore to themselves they’d never get caught short again?
    A professional hoarder!

Sorry, but here in NYS I prefer to treat my ammo and components to the Boy Scout motto……Be prepared ! Just ask the deer hunters that were pulling their hair out last November when they were told it would take 30 days to get a box of ought six for opening day. I have no problem with guys( I am one) that want a lifetime supply, my problem is with those that gobble up everything they can to turn a profit. Was done around here a while back when 22 lr was unobtainable.
    Last edited by Shawlerbrook; 01-14-2024 at 08:43 AM.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast