WidenersInline FabricationReloading EverythingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2
Load Data Snyders Jerky

Thread: before I get into it with LEE

Banned

before I get into it with LEE

I want to run this by you guys. I found a bullet that I can size down to .359. So I said to myself have my buddy hone or ream the sizing die out to .359 from the .358 die. I used a inside caliper and it measures .366 bore. What gives? Am I missing something ? LOL I have a .314, same thing, way over sized. The mold is .358, unsized bullets are .359, sized...! are .358 with the die I just described as oversized..... ! I would have never though that much overbore dies would size correctly.

I can just GC the .359 and see how they shoot yeah !
    Last edited by castmiester; 12-11-2023 at 04:47 PM.

Boolit Master
    Yes. Look farther up in the die. There’s only a small ring that does the job. Check that.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by castmiester View Post
    I want to run this by you guys. I found a bullet that I can size down to .359. So I said to myself have my buddy hone or ream the sizing die out to .359 from the .358 die. I used a inside caliper and it measures .366 bore. What gives? Am I missing something ? LOL I have a .314, same thing, way over sized. The mold is .358, unsized bullets are .359, sized...! are .358 with the die I just described as oversized..... ! I would have never though that much overbore dies would size correctly.

I can just GC the .359 and see how they shoot yeah !
    I would try that and see what you have ????

They are tapered inside. The only way to measure one is to run a bullet through it and see what size it comes out at.

Boolit Grand Master

The easiest way to measure the sizer is to push a lead slug thru and measure it, this takes all the spring back and such into account

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Outer Rondacker View Post
    Yes. Look farther up in the die. There’s only a small ring that does the job. Check that.
    Ok, you led me to check at bore at the bottom of the die where the bullet is sized.... at the top of the bore it steps down, to .358, below that, it enlarges to .366. I inserted the caliper inside blades all the way in the bore to get the stepped down diameter, .358. Thanks Nobade
    Last edited by castmiester; 12-11-2023 at 07:18 PM.

Boolit Master

Most molds cast 0.001-0.002" larger than the listed size. That is pretty standard.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BK7saum View Post
    Most molds cast 0.001-0.002" larger than the listed size. That is pretty standard.
    ya.. thanks !

Boolit Master
    A better way to check ID’s is with a good set of pin gauges vs. a caliper. At least in my case my ability to accurately measure an ID with a caliper is no bueno.

Banned
    Yeah I'll agree, but the sized cast says it all.

I want to run this by you guys. I found a bullet that I can size down to .359. So I said to myself have my buddy hone or ream the sizing die out to .359 from the .358 die. I used a inside caliper and it measures .366 bore. What gives? Am I missing something ? LOL I have a .314, same thing, way over sized. The mold is .358, unsized bullets are .359, sized...! are .358 with the die I just described as oversized..... !
    I can’t get a grasp of the problem, seems like the bullets are already the diameter you want before sizing…?

Sometimes dealing with numbers and measuring tools can be confusing. Gauge pins are great to have during these times. They go or not…

Banned
    sorry about that..... My casts are .359 and was told that moulds are .001 to .002 larger than listed on the box, didn't know that. I want to run .001 over bore, and my casts are .359. Didn't know about the taper in the die to size also. I was told here awhile back not to size, don't have to size.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Nobade View Post
    They are tapered inside. The only way to measure one is to run a bullet through it and see what size it comes out at.
    exactly this.. the final size ring area is small and way past the mouth.. there is a LONG taper in those old style size dies. The bushing ones have a short taper because the entire die body is only just over an inch long..

Vendor Sponsor

Lee push through sizers are typically .0005" under to compensate for springback. I would also recommend using a micrometer instead of a caliper.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Banned
    the sized bullet is what the die size .358 thanks

was told that moulds are .001 to .002 larger than listed on the box, didn't know that.
    castmeister, This is not an absolute. Some cast undersize, some are just like Goldilocks. There are a lot of variables that come in to play; alloy, temperature of the alloy and mold, and grip to name a few. Casting is an art as much as it is a science.
    AKA "Old Vic"
    "I am a great believer in powder-burning".
    --Theodore Roosevelt, Hunting Trips of a Ranchman

Banned
    my mould casts .359, which is what I want. I keep the thermometer stable while I pour, and mixed WW run like 13 BH.