Repackbox Inline Fabrication

Thread: 410 reloading set for all brass shells

410 reloading set for all brass shells

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	410 loader.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	71.5 KB 
ID:	320854

Fed up with the availability (and price) of store bought 410 shells I made some all brass ones. Expanded 30/06 cases to straight walls and recut the rim groove with a shop built cutter .080 diameter. Cut some #12 copper wire and rolled it around the groove and soldered them in with some old electronic rosin core solder. Built a die set to push them into to form the rim to the correct configuration. Used the milling machine vise for that, too much work for a reloading press.
    So then it was time to load. Here is what I fiddled around and built to do the job.

From the left;
    1. a block of plastic, (Natural Polypropylene) this is my base block for punching out primers. I flip it over, using the other side for punching wads.
    2. My "Made in Montana" brass 410 cases
    3. De-capping pin
    4. Brush to clean case ID and the primer pocket cleaning tool that stores in brush handle.
    5. Vintage 20 gauge priming tool with insert to fit 410 cases.
    6. Scoop for powder, 15.4 gr 2400.
    7. A funnel to use for the powder and shot.
    8. A wad cutter to punch the over powder wads. Shown with an .125 over powder wad and 2 .44 Wonder wads for cushion wads.
    9. Wad seater
    10. Shot measure for 1/2oz #7.5 shot
    11. Punch for over shot wads. I turned this one over, but the detail doesn't show the markings. These punches were made for a couple old barrel ends. The markings on 3 lines are; R.A., Flaming Bomb stamp, 1-43. I just could not machine those inscriptions off.
    12. Some plastic milk jug material for over-shot wads and Duco Cement for holding it all together.

These loads actually shoot better patterns than store boughts. I am using them in a "Little Skeeter" adapter inn a 12 gauge. The gun is shown in this thread, https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...ba-s-Truck-Gun
    it is still a work in progress but has put a lot of grouse on the table the last 2 years.

Moderator Emeritus

Interesting and pretty impressive. Like it when folks think outside the box a bit. Good luck.

Boolit Master
    Now that looked like a fun project. Good idea to sleeve the old capper. I can't wait too see the wooden box you make to hold the tools and components.

My home made loader is a crude affair, made of a nail, block of wood, and a cut off bolt and a wood dowel. I'm jealous

Boolit Master
    45/70 brass ???? For 410 ga shot shells ???

Boolit Grand Master
    444 Marlin for .410 brass. Real easy switch.

Boolit Master

You can also blow out 303 British. It I have found the extractor may override on some guns if they are a little loose.
    Facta non verba

I use 9.3x74R to make my 410 . Works good for me .
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Buddy
    I'm using the magtech CBC brass shells.

Boolit Master
    Set looks like it could be a 100 years old, I like it. You need an old wooden cigar box to keep it in.

I made a few hulls from 444 cases, they jumped the extractor in my H&R. A hole was bored a piece of 1/4 inch steel for a slip fit and I peened the rim out. Another hole was bored and polished out to size the plastic hull base a bit if needed.

I was working on doing much the same as you but I ran across a couple 410 loaders cheap. Really need to finish it up.

I thought about using .444 brass but old frugal habits kicked in. The brass I made the cases out of is good ol' 30/06. I recut the rim grooves, made some rings out of 12 gauge solid copper wire, soldered them to the case and formed them to the correct shape in a die set I made. Used a 6" mill vise to do the pressing. Took a lot of effort to get them to form.

I still mulling over the "box" options. I could make a wood box but haven't got excited about that yet. The cigar box is also on my mind, nothing is more traditional than that. I also have some tins that Christmas candy and cookies come in. Right now it all fits in small flat rate box, those used flat rate boxes have sort of become the modern day cigar box for me.

Boolit Master
    That kit is so beautiful, it is deserving a box like the old Frankford Arsenal 20 guage Trapdoor Forager loading kit. I can't recall where I saw it,but the site showed kits for the 50-70 and 45-70, and even 30-40.

Boolit Mold
    Looks great and fun. I would use them with black powder. It just adds to the fun factor.

What does the die look like to form the rim?