Reloading EverythingRepackboxWidenersSnyders Jerky
Load DataInline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Table top lathe recommendations??

Boolit Master

is it worth cost for 618 parts

hope pictures show up one is the atlas 618 with missing compound parts and the other is a south end 9c that I'm starting to work on putting back to work with a new motor and belt and lots of elbow grease to remove the rust preventatives ive kept it covered with.
    on eBay I can get the parts to complete the 618 but it will probably be $250-$300. is it worth it?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0629.jpg   IMG_0616.jpg  

Boolit Grand Master

I would say it is worth fixing. They are a popular sought after machine. My uncle had a 6 X 24 sheldon flat belt and change gears the chuck was a threaded 1" jacobs drill chuck did have the full set of change gears and dead center, At his estate auction it brought $2000.00. I figured in the 750-900 range.

As I said the bigger issue will be fitting the parts once you find them this is all hand scrapping to fit the new cross slide and then the gib.

On the South Bend you will need a laced belt probably 2" wide. One thing that was done when converting to electric motor was to add a gear box or transmission. A small 3 or4 speed lawn mower gear box might work this will also give reverse, or the older variable drive might work. This would give more speeds with out changing belts.

What size motor are you putting on it? If you dont go with a transmission then you want a reversible motor and a reversing switch. Most of them had a barrel switch one way was forward the other reverse.

Boolit Master
    the motor and belt are no problem ive probably got a dozen 1//3 to 1 hp motors and a couple totes of switches, motor starters and reversing switches and lots of belting and lacing stuff. now wiring a single phase motor to a drum switch is the part that will give me the challenge. I have yet to locate the motors and wiring for the other two south bends and the atlas yet. but they are here on the property somewhere.
    maybe I should put some stuff on swapping and selling to raise funds to save the atlas
    ive got an instant reversing 1/2 hp 1 phase I will most likely put on the south bend pulley post or counter shaft motor mount or whatever its called
    Last edited by farmbif; 04-07-2024 at 09:14 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Sounds like a plan.

Im currently working on a set of machine skates and then a toe Jack, I want to do a little rearrange in my shop and will need them to move the machines around. Then I need to get the small lathe fixed up with a new stand and the gear box levers fixed. My lightest machine is 600 lbs the heaviest is 7500 lbs. My work bench is 500 lbs LOL. With the rearrange Ive got one power drop that will need to be moved.

Boolit Master
    Well, that Logan lathe I was asking about,, has a new home. It's a model 400. Small but solid. It's had a few little modifications since it was new,, (new motor,, and it's mounted differently than the original way,) but it runs just fine.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567