RotoMetals2Load DataLee PrecisionWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackbox
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Do toy cap gun caps work for BP? Well...

Boolit Master
    You should have took out your C&B pistols and joined their club.
    Oh.
    That's right.
    We haven't modified the nipples to fit the toy caps for your revolvers yet.
    I don't think they would let you compete with that Hip Howitzer.

Nope, they don't like regular people getting involved in their thing. I went once, invited by a leader, but when they did the mid-day barbeque, my son and I weren't allowed to join in, even offering to pay for it. So, I refuse to do anything with Dusty Bunch or Gathering of the Posses.

Boolit Bub
    I have this one and some rolls of paper caps to experiment with. I’m gonna try using som 4f too
    https://sharpshooter-22lr-r noeloade...sion-cap-maker

Ok, so FINALLY we were able to try some of these out. Naturally I forgot the modified nipple, so I pushed them down over the regular nipple. The plastic split, but they stayed on in place long enough to shoot.

https://youtu.be/BMEcld2adE8

Fired three rounds, all three worked just fine. However, one split as being put on and all the filling fell out, jammed up the nipple, and necessitated removal of the nipple and picking it out with the nipple pick, was very quick. If I hadn't been a dunderhead, that wouldn't have been an issue.
    Now to start work on making my own with the provided materials!

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by armoredman View Post
    Ok, so FINALLY we were able to try some of these out. Naturally I forgot the modified nipple, so I pushed them down over the regular nipple. The plastic split, but they stayed on in place long enough to shoot.

https://youtu.be/BMEcld2adE8

Fired three rounds, all three worked just fine. However, one split as being put on and all the filling fell out, jammed up the nipple, and necessitated removal of the nipple and picking it out with the nipple pick, was very quick. If I hadn't been a dunderhead, that wouldn't have been an issue.
    Now to start work on making my own with the provided materials!
    I use them on standard nipples. Roll them on from the side with your thumb. Don`t push down on them as they are volatile (more so than a CCI Cap). Carry a pin to clean out the nipple top if plugged. Remove the paper insert, dribble in some BP and douse with hairspray. I tend to think you guys are over thinking this. I have used thousands of these.

Thank you for your words of wisdom. When the nipple became plugged I used the nipple pick in my nipple wrench, easy peasy. The caps DID have the cardboard removed, extra BP, (4 F - what do YOU use?), in and sealed with nail polish.
    Do you have examples and/or video of your use thereof?

Boolit Master
    It is nice that the Toy Caps are working.
    I think those are going to be found cheaper than the primer caps you got in Toombstone.
    Plus it is a good back up others can use if they can not find primer caps at all , and do not wish to invest in buying a cap maker or the stuff like Prime All chemicals to make the caps.

Yes, the percussion caps I bought in Tombstone were WAY over priced, but when you can't find them anywhere else...I look forward to more experimentation along the way.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by armoredman View Post
    Thank you for your words of wisdom. When the nipple became plugged I used the nipple pick in my nipple wrench, easy peasy. The caps DID have the cardboard removed, extra BP, (4 F - what do YOU use?), in and sealed with nail polish.
    Do you have examples and/or video of your use thereof?
    Yep sounds like you are on the right track. For powder I just use screened homemade, that's pretty much all I use for all my BP related tinkering now days. I found the toy caps will split if pushed on, but they seem to stretch over the unmodified nipple if rolled on from the side.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123