MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data

Thread: New smokehouse

Boolit Buddy

New smokehouse

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hog hanging.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	65.9 KB 
ID:	320787Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hog smoke.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	38.3 KB 
ID:	320788

Sow Hog guessing 250-300 no way son and i could lift her, drug on trailer with a chain.
    Fattest hog i have ever shot, did not have to add any fat to the sausage.

Boolit Buddy

Jealous of you guys that have things like this to harvest. But they are a long ways away for me. GW

GW you don’t want those in your backyard. They destroy the land and reproduce like roaches.

Boolit Buddy
    There's a guy in the UP of Michigan that trucks them in and charges city folks big bucks to hunt them. seems like a bad idea to me but what do I know.

Boolit Buddy
    would it be posible to post your smoke house blue prints.
    thanks rrh

Boolit Master
    Brings back memory's of doing with grandpa ??? He / we smoked everything..... Remember going out and rolling hams in rock salt and hanging them to cure. On a warm day you could walk by the smoke house and here the fat and water dripping from the meat.....

Boolit Master

Me too being a long ways away but is there anything about hogs crossing out of Canada?

QUOTE=G W Wade;5656279]Jealous of you guys that have things like this to harvest. But they are a long ways away for me. GW[/QUOTE]
    Facta non verba

Boolit Master

I’d like those blueprints too, if you would.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    In Alaska, a lot of people used to make smokers out of old refrigerators to smoke salmon.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Daver7 View Post
    There's a guy in the UP of Michigan that trucks them in and charges city folks big bucks to hunt them. seems like a bad idea to me but what do I know.
    I think the Michigan DNR stopped that a few years back they even killed off one hog farmers stock I do not know what happened to that in court?
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by G W Wade View Post
    Jealous of you guys that have things like this to harvest. But they are a long ways away for me. GW
    G W, Dont be toooo jealous of hogs....they do millions of dollars of damage to land and equipment in Texas every year! We trap and shoot to try to keep the damage down....the only benefit is they are really good in the smoker or on the grill!
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Boolit Buddy
    I built it out of an old 4x4 3in pipe frame that originally was a weight lifting frame to hold the barbells.
    I helped a nephew build it out of scrap pipe he had years ago, he left it at his moms.
    She wanted it gone so I took it and bought plywood and used self tapping screws to attach the plywood, built a wood frame door, with a temp. gauge in the door.
    I set in on some pavers off the ground and left an air gap about 12 in long under door.
    Got the idea from a local farmer, he had one built all wood, he had an old disc on the floor.
    He just built a fire on the ground next to it and would open the door and shovel fire into it as needed to maintain temp.
    It was about 7.5 ft tall.
    Last edited by danmat; 12-10-2023 at 10:13 PM. Reason: add ht.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    In Alaska, a lot of people used to make smokers out of old refrigerators to smoke salmon.
    I used an upright freezer before, gauge in the door, pvc vent on top side, air intake at bottom side.
    Use 2 elect. hot plat with a small iron skillet with wood chips in it for smoke, you could use a pid controller on for temp.
    You cant let the temp. get away from you because of the plastic interior, but 180 or 90 there fine.
    At the time I had no place to keep it out of the weather it rusted out pretty fast.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Sweet! Neighbor threw out an Indian cheif smoker last summer. Still in the box with the proce tag on it from Cabalas from back in the day. The cord was melted from not plugging it in all the way. Called the company to buy another cord. They sent me one along with the updated element at no charge. The new element won't work but the cord was all I needed. I'll have to try it out on some jerky next week.

Quote Originally Posted by Daver7 View Post
    Money often makes people do stupid things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moderator Emeritus

I have a double door stainless commercial fridge with a textured aluminum interior sitting on my utility trailer. Destined to be turned into a smoker! My 20+ year old Traeger is rusting out but the burner works fine so going to graft that onto the side, add some baffle plates to distribute heat evenly and turn it into a smoker for doing sausage, big jerky batches etc.

We shoot them on sight, anywhere, any time, day or night. Best not to ever get caught transporting live wild hogs, by the locals, either.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    I have a double door stainless commercial fridge with a textured aluminum interior sitting on my utility trailer. Destined to be turned into a smoker! My 20+ year old Traeger is rusting out but the burner works fine so going to graft that onto the side, add some baffle plates to distribute heat evenly and turn it into a smoker for doing sausage, big jerky batches etc.
    This is the ticket I have one in my shop all stainless, but it works, great for processing meat keeping everything cold.
    Told my son we need to find one beyond repair for a smoker.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapier View Post
    We shoot them on sight, anywhere, any time, day or night. Best not to ever get caught transporting live wild hogs, by the locals, either.
    I think everyone pretty well knows this now days.
    But as they say, "when all you have is lemons make lemonade".
    Dan