MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2Load Data
RepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky

Thread: Jon-E handwarmer

Boolit Buddy

Jon-E handwarmer

I just found a Jon-e handwarmer my Dad used to use when hunting. It is a re-usable metal handwarmer that goes in a cloth sack after it is lit. It is similar to the old Zippo lighters and if I remember correctly, it is filed with lighter fluid. It has a wick that is lighted and its glowing flame simmers to keep your hands etc. warm. I would like to try it, but would like confirmation that it is in fact lighter fluid that is used to burn in it. ANY HELP?

yup lighter fluid

Boolit Master
    I still have my Jon-e hand warner i bought just before we got married. 53 yrs ago. Lol

Boolit Grand Master

Lighter fuels are 99.99% Naptha. If you're looking for a fuel replacement VM&P Naptha will work. I still have mine. They tended to have issues stay lit. I haven't used mine in 30 years.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...20handling.%20
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 12-07-2023 at 09:29 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master

It isn’t filled either. Fluid is added and then the device is inverted and shaken vigorously to remove excess. Full instructions are in the thread linked above.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

I had one until my house burnt. It worked pretty good once you figured it out. Yes, lighter fuel is what it runs on. It'll warm you up pretty good if you switch it around to different pockets while you're in the field hunting.
    BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets

Lead Alloy Calculator

I had one back in the day, and that’s what I used.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by jednorris View Post
    I just found a Jon-e handwarmer my Dad used to use when hunting. It is a re-usable metal handwarmer that goes in a cloth sack after it is lit. It is similar to the old Zippo lighters and if I remember correctly, it is filed with lighter fluid. It has a wick that is lighted and its glowing flame simmers to keep your hands etc. warm. I would like to try it, but would like confirmation that it is in fact lighter fluid that is used to burn in it. ANY HELP?
    I have several of these, all from the 70's or so . The real trick is keeping the piece which is removed to fuel you handwarmer GREASE-FREE! E.g., NEVER ever touch it with bare fingers, etc. Just a scary-little oil is enough to ruin one! Re lighter fluid, use only Zippo or Ronson brands, too! After you fill it, shake out any excess; then put on that top piece and light it. Bion, a butane lighter is recommended -- or, if you use a match -- let the match burn four or five seconds before you light your Jon E handwarmer. They used to sell replacements.. I've purchased several! I have tried "renewing" those top pieces by dipping, twirling, and then letting dry -- in both lacquer thinner and acetone -- with mixed results.
    (Two years ago I gave up on them and bought Snow Deere electric handwarmers off Amazon... I'll never go back!)
    geo

Boolit Master
    I knew I had one of these, it's about 1/3 full. What I don't remember is where I stashed the handwarmer. The price label shows i paid $2.49.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20231208_094124_resized.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	50.8 KB 
ID:	320751

That brings back memories. Then we went to the suede covered ones that had a solid fuel stick you lit. Now I use the disposable little bag warmers ( Hot Hands I think)and love them .

I had a couple, years back. They are very expensive now. I have two regulars and a bigger one, unused from more recent finds. cheap, in pouches and a manbag

Boolit Grand Master

I still have a couple of them and use them intermittently. Rather than buying expensive lighter fluid, I buy plain old naptha from the hardware store to use in them.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    I use the Ocoopa electric hand warmers and refuel them from my computer.
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!