MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWidenersTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2
Load Data Snyders Jerky

Thread: 82 years ago .

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell

82 years ago .

My Grandfather went out to walk his dog, check the surf and see if it was a good morning to fish . He ended up in a life boat making rescues and recoveries .
    My Grandmother was started awake and spent 11 hours in an inside wall closet behind a wall made of her bed and pillows .
    My great Aunt ran a triage in her living room.

They along with Dad's Mom who worked in the Oakland Port Chicago ship yard briefly in the fall of 41' and both his Father and Dad that served WWI and clean up times are gone now .
    Dads brother that served in the Pacific along with his Uncles are all gone now too .

It occurs to me that I was that close to being someone completely different or not at all on this day 82 years ago.....
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master
    Indeed, things could have been very different. One of my grandfathers was on a boat in the pacific and the other was en route when the bomb was dropped.

I watched my son graduate Navy boot camp today, yeah I’m real proud!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I appreciate the stories my friends.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Buddy
    I have known three Men who were at Pearl that morning

Two I did not find out where they were, they simply like many would not talk about it.

The third was my Wife's Grandfather, he was on the USS California when it went down, he was actually listed as MIA for 10 days
    Again he never would talk about it.
    He came home after the war, married and had 8 kids

May they all Rest in Peace

J Wisner

Boolit Master
    My dads ship left Pearl Harbor a couple days before the bombing and was turned around to help in clean up and rescue efforts. My dads sister was a nurse at Pearl harbor. One of dads brothers was in Europe at the time. All made it home safely but rarely discussed their experiences.

My dads step father had just returned to Pearl from Wake Island the week before, where Morrison-Knudsen (MK) was building runways and bunkers. He was a heavy equipment super for MK they spent the day assisting the military clear damaged areas and rescuing survivors from wrecked building. He was 55 years old so not in the military, but my dad joined the Navy serving in the Pacific when he graduated HS in 1944.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Buddy
    I don't know how a guy could keep quiet about all of that they've been through but I hope all their souls rest in peace.

Boolit Master

My wife's uncle was there. Someone said he was on the Arizona but I never asked him about it. His 2 brothers were in the area but I never heard anyone say exactly where. Her dad was also in the navy, said he was a typist but his oldest son thinks he may have served on a sub for a while.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Most all of the generation is gone. Dad served in Europe in 44 through 45, and an uncle was in the pacific. Both gone for a good while now. Dad would have been 102 on the first of the month.
    They saw a lot, and neither talked much, or nearly enough. But that was typical of that generation.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    My uncles were in the Philippines working on US Navy aircraft and would eventually be jap POWs, in the Battan to Corregidor march, and in a Jap camp for almost 4 years.

Galena Guru

Dad was Army Air Corps , '42-45 , his brother was airborne and worked with French underground , mother's brother was a medic on the beach D-Day , he had tales would curl your hair when he talked about it ..

I was in Pearl for three of my 22 in the Navy , hallowed ground there ..
    Schamankungulo

Matt. 5:14-16

GMCS USN ret.