Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
RepackboxWidenersSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Lee Precision
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .22 Hornet Ruger Super Redhawk

Boolit Master

.22 Hornet Ruger Super Redhawk

Remember: Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

Boolit Grand Master
    Nothing to see here folks, just move along. A 15 inch long 66 ounce revolver chambered for a scarce cartridge. 40 grain bullet @ 2000fps and all the noise you could want
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    Interesting that it has a 1:9" twist. It should handle 55 grain bullets without issue. Good point for reloaders. I don't want one, just sayin'.

I think one of their five-seven automatics would be about the same ballistics but more useful.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by high standard 40 View Post
    Interesting that it has a 1:9" twist. It should handle 55 grain bullets without issue. Good point for reloaders. I don't want one, just sayin'.
    It should handle 70 grain bullets without issue, especially fairly blunt ones like the Speer. My 16 twist H&R .22 Hornet handles 55 grain bullets and boolits.

Boolit Buddy

Nice lookin gun! I really like 22 Hornet. 45 gr hollow point and 12.5 grs of WW 680 ball powder works great! Have about 45 lbs of this surplus powder. Guess my great grandkids will still be reloading 22 Hornet. Wonder why Ruger thinks their Redhawk is on par with a Python or an Anaconda in price. The Redhawk ought to be around $850. Would like to see Colt build a 6" Stainless Python in 22 Hornet!

Boolit Master
    If they were going to do it at all, they should offer it in K-Hornet. Looking into my crystal ball, I do not foresee a long future for these guns. Another obscure collector's piece in the making.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master
    It reminds me of a long barrel BFR in 218 Bee I once handled. Way too heavy for me. I didn’t have a use for it and passed. This 8 shooter Hornet might be a bit better. But I still don’t have a use for it. At least I don’t think I do….

I guess it makes more sense than S&W Model 53 in 22 Jet. Wouldn’t surprise me if real world ballistics were very similar. And I doubt the Ruger Hornet would tie up from brass backing up.

I agree these probably won’t be available for very long. If a fella (or dame) wanted one, should probably get one quick.
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

Boolit Grand Master
    ^^Or see a shrink
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    Maybe the ammo companies will take notice, and be bothered to at least make a short run of ammo and brass.

Boolit Master
    Not sure how loud a 22 Hornet would be but I can attest to a S&W model 53 both muzzle blast and flash were quite impressive.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by nicholst55 View Post
    If they were going to do it at all, they should offer it in K-Hornet. Looking into my crystal ball, I do not foresee a long future for these guns. Another obscure collector's piece in the making.
    Exactly why I ordered one yesterday.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I might have to sell off my over under 22 hornet 12 gauge and put the money towards one. Think my over under savage predator 24F sold on GB for around $1250 or more last I looked. Mine is like brand new. Only been shot about a dozen times.

Boolit Grand Master

I would prefer a 221 Fireball if it fits.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    I would prefer a 221 Fireball if it fits.
    Yep me too! I would assume it would be a way more accurate round than the hornet. Surprised they made this with zero ammo being produced in hornet that im aware of.

Quote Originally Posted by nicholst55 View Post
    Dont recall if it’s a super bh but a friend got that very caliber revolver recently.

Boolit Master
    That is interesting. It reminds me of an early shortened 22kh in a k22 called the Harvey Kay chuck. I have an old Ruger single six in 22 mag that I found a spare cylinder that fits. I have a 22kh reamer and hope I can use it to short chamber for the 22 k chuck. Then modify the firing pin for center fire. Ineed todoabit of measuring tosee if this is possible.

Boolit Master
    I think I’ll wait and see if they bring it out chambered for 30 Super Carry.

Boolit Master
    Or……maybe this is a good base gun for a custom?
    That 9.5 inch barely could be cut back to any practical length desired.
    22 Hornet is a very slender case, so I’d think the cylinder could be re-chambered to some bigger cases.
    It’s an 8 shooter so not as flexible in how big of cases could be accommodated as a 6 shooter.

I really don’t understand what motivated Ruger to make this long barreled heavy duty Hornet. But I’d like to know. Gotta be an explanation.

Boolit Grand Master
    Most people do not reload. Best price I can find is $1/round by Prvi Partizan. I do not understand Ruger offering this.

But it seems a few folks will spend well over $1000 to have one.
    Don Verna

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast