RepackboxSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationWidenersLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: double shots in a cap and ball 44

farmbif, just because something was not done often or not efficiently, doesn't mean that somebody didn't do it and might have thought it was a great thing. At one time .22 shorts were thought to be suitable self-defense rounds. So maybe Johnstone's character thought he was a tacticool dude and just didn't know any better.
    AKA "Old Vic"
    "I am a great believer in powder-burning".
    --Theodore Roosevelt, Hunting Trips of a Ranchman

Vendor Sponsor

You can say that again.
    Chill Wills

I'm sure most of you have heard of snake shot loads for cap and ball. How different is this, really?

Buck and ball writ small?

Quote Originally Posted by armoredman View Post
    Buck and ball writ small?
    Right. Except, in this case, the rifling is still beneficial.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Swineherd View Post
    I'm sure most of you have heard of snake shot loads for cap and ball. How different is this, really?
    ??????not even close to similar...............................

Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    ??????not even close to similar...............................
    Certainly similar. Also, not the same.

Boolit Grand Master

We should remember the RB weighs less than the typical bullet used in percussion revolvers. In a 35 caliber the RB weighs about 80 gr where the bullet [37583] weighs in about 150 gr. Two RBs are going to weigh 160 gr and they will, as mentioned, eat up a lot of powder space. As per Lyman's Black Powder Handbook a 12 gr charge of 4fg under that bullet gave a measured pressure [LUP] of 9,200. Thus, if one could get the same 12 gr under the double RBs I doubt the pressure would be much higher than that 9,200. Considering Lyman list a max load of 15 gr 4Fg for the bullet at a LUP of 10,600 I doubt the double RB load will prove excessive let alone catastrophic.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

I once had more than one ball come out of my C&B .44 when I pulled the trigger.
    It got my attention!
    I’ve used ox yoke or similar wads since and happily no more chain fires occurred…..
    Is that the same thing????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Army played around the multiple ball loads since the 1850's. J.S. & Pat Wolf's Book on loading the .45-70 with three .457 RBs over a charge of 40 grains of 2Fg for the military guard load is listed. you might get away with using a reduced charge of 3Fg in the Reminton 1858 the Walker Colt, or the Dragoons. I wouldn't try it in a Colt '51, '61, or the 1860 Army.
    Listen! Do you hear it. The roar of cannons, the screams of the dying! Ahh! Music to my ears!

UHHHhhhh....... I did the two ball loading multiple times back when I was in high school using my Uberti '61 .36cal Navy. As has been repeated there isn't a lot of room for powder under two balls. My rationale at the time was based on the weight of a typical 38 SPL bullet of 158 grs vs 140 grs for two .375 balls being propelled by ~12grs powder and the old adage I read somewhere that said "you can't blow up a cap & ball revolver because you can't get too much black powder in the chamber". I survived it and went on to other activities of a similar nature. The gun is still as tight as the day I got it back in 1968 after a thousand rounds or so through it.
    Hellgate in Orygun
    With 16+revolvers, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of cap&ball.
    If you do not subscribe to a newspaper you are uninformed. If you do subscribe to a newspaper you are misinformed. Mark Twain
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    The Army played around the multiple ball loads since the 1850's. J.S. & Pat Wolf's Book on loading the .45-70 with three .457 RBs over a charge of 40 grains of 2Fg for the military guard load is listed. you might get away with using a reduced charge of 3Fg in the Reminton 1858 the Walker Colt, or the Dragoons. I wouldn't try it in a Colt '51, '61, or the 1860 Army.
    hmmmm then we get the bloke that tells us an 1860 army colt is stronger than the remington ? I think it was Mike (45 Dragoon) which got my attention brecause I thought he proly knew what he was talkin about.......................

Boolit Master
    Id say you can blow them up....Sam'l Colt wrote a number of times to his detailers about returning guns with blown cylinders as discreetly as possible.......and we all know Colts first revolver business went bust due to blown cylinders .

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    Id say you can blow them up....Sam'l Colt wrote a number of times to his detailers about returning guns with blown cylinders as discreetly as possible.......and we all know Colts first revolver business went bust due to blown cylinders .
    Yes. The steel in those early days could barely be called steel. In fact, we read various batches weren't even close to being the same and full of inclusions. I was a little boy at the time so I only know what I read. To address the very weak cylinders, Colt and his foreman outsourced better steel from across the pond. The Colt Walkers had the problem in spades and in response, the Dragoons had better steel and smaller powder capacity.
    Chill Wills

The question is...what do you do with a chamber with three balls?

You walk it and pitch to the rifle!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12