WidenersLee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pork Butts

Boolit Buddy
    Another good use is carnitas. An authentic recipe though. I haven't made it in a while, but it involves some unusual ingredients that seem very unusual to those used to throwing them on a smoker with a rub.

From what I can remember it includes something along the lines of a real sugar coke, evaporated milk, an orange, etc...

I know there's more to it, but you deep fat fry chunks of pork butt with lard and then basically braise it. Or maybe it's the other way around. All I know is that they are fall apart tender with a crisp outside and more flavor than can legally cross the border.

Boolit Bub
    1 thing I would add to your dry ingredients is....Chinese 5-spice, to taste. Great flavored spice on charcoal grilled meats.

When finding butts for cheap sometimes I process them into buckboard bacon with a mixture of brown sugar, black pepper and Morton's Tender Quick that we have several pounds of. The wife likes it that way, likes there being less fat. After curing a few days and soaking out it gets smoked a bit and then we vacuum package it and it's off to the freezer.

Boolit Buddy
    Middle Tennessee for now. Want to buy land out west, somewhere cool and dry!
    Quote Originally Posted by jdgabbard View Post
    You must never have eaten a properly cooked Ribeye?
    Eat the mushrooms and throw the beef away!

We're having ham and a sirloin roast for the Easter Feaster. Think I'll slice up the roast, flour and brown each slice and then stack 'em back with garlic, butter and spices in between for cooking. With some mushrooms too! Pro'bly cook it on Saturday and warm it back up same time as the ham on Sunday. Humph, which means I'd best sequence the gravy for mashed taters into those plans somewhere or the other. Or are we doing baked taters? Reckon I'd better find out.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by phantom22 View Post
    Another good use is carnitas. An authentic recipe though. I haven't made it in a while, but it involves some unusual ingredients that seem very unusual to those used to throwing them on a smoker with a rub.

From what I can remember it includes something along the lines of a real sugar coke, evaporated milk, an orange, etc...

I know there's more to it, but you deep fat fry chunks of pork butt with lard and then basically braise it. Or maybe it's the other way around. All I know is that they are fall apart tender with a crisp outside and more flavor than can legally cross the border.
    Learn something new all the time. Every time I have had carnitas is carnitas de chile verde, which has no oranges, coke or milk in it. It's usually done from boneless shoulder roast.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12