RepackboxWidenersLoad DataLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything

Thread: Getting ready for the next project

Getting ready for the next project

Welp Mr. Larry's post finally convinced me to see what all the fuss is with a few things lol. Was able to get a deal on some Lyman .309, .310, .311, .312 dies so gonna dig out those lube sizers press I got and figure out where to mount them. Got the famous 30XCB mold in the mail along with a few other odds and ends ( unfortunately they where out of .309 sizing bushings) . Also got a new bore scope and chamber casting alloy coming in. So hopefully I'll be able to do something testing involving trad lube , powder coat , and powder coat with traditional lube.
    O the fun !

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk
    A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

I'm really interested in seeing your results of that 30XCB.

I think you've got a good plan, particularly when it involves a chamber cast. You definitely need to know your throat diameter if you are to achieve success in your endeavor.

I'm looking forward to seeing how this goes for you as well.

I really enjoy your posts on the various projects. I like your disciplined approach. Looking forward to this one.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bosterr View Post
    I'm really interested in seeing your results of that 30XCB.
    Yeah me too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And got some of this stuff in the mail....really hope I my presses have all the parts they need

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk
    A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Boolit Master
    Wolfdog: NOE makes some really good molds, and the 310-165-FN looks like a good choice for a lubed bullet. Looking at the print for that bullet I see that there "might" be a problem powder coating it. The nose section of that bullet extends for .221" before it reduces down to .299" in diameter. Remember that powder coating can add up to .002" to a bullets diameter (depending on what powder you use) If you do a shake-n-bake powder coat, the nose of the bullet "might" become too fat for the cartridge to chamber. You're shooting a Mosin, and for all we know it might have a throat big enough to sallow a torpedo. All I'm saying is that if you want to try a conventional powder coat, before you make up a hundred rounds or more, try just one or two bullets and make up a dummy round. If it chambers you're good to go. You don't want to be (like me) and load up 200 rounds of 308, and then find out that they won't chamber.

Boolit Master
    There is a problem powder coating it. The bullet ends up deep seated. Still shoots ok but that part always bugged me. I ended up 'making' a tapered nose size die for it that fit my NOE setup.

Interested to see what you find in your journey. Thanks for sharing.
    BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets

Lead Alloy Calculator

Pretty easy fix for not getting the nose too big when powder coating. No extra tool needed. Get a bowl of warm water and sprinkle some powder coat powder on the surface. A liberal amount. Hold the bullet by the nose and dunk the driving bands into the water a few time. Stop before you get to the nose or bore riding part of the bullet. Stand on end on some wax paper to dry. Bake as normal. Problem solved. Powder coat where you want it and none where you don’t. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0721.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	60.6 KB 
ID:	320715
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Quote Originally Posted by waco View Post
    Pretty easy fix for not getting the nose too big when powder coating. No extra tool needed. Get a bowl of warm water and sprinkle some powder coat powder on the surface. A liberal amount. Hold the bullet by the nose and dunk the driving bands into the water a few time. Stop before you get to the nose or bore riding part of the bullet. Stand on end on some wax paper to dry. Bake as normal. Problem solved. Powder coat where you want it and none where you don’t. Click image for larger version. 

That's an interesting suggestion! Never thought about that.

Cool idea for bore-riders.

Boolit Master

Well I'LL be danged, never would have thought of that!

Thanks!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by waco View Post

Nice solution.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Dang waco! Thank you for that. Did you come up with it or see it somewhere?
    BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets

Lead Alloy Calculator

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    Dang waco! Thank you for that. Did you come up with it or see it somewhere?
    I heard a guy on another form mention it like five or six years ago. I kinda forgot about it until reading this post. Then I remembered I had some bullets I tried the process out with. Just thought others might find it helpful. Another option as opposed to sizing the nose.
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.

Boolit Buddy
    There is a vendor that attends almost all gun shows here in California that sells bullets that are partially coated exactly like this. He also custom hydro dips firearms parts and that's how he got started with his bitone coated bullets. Is there any benefit to not coating the entire bullet?

Quote Originally Posted by THE_ANTIDOTE View Post
    There is a vendor that attends almost all gun shows here in California that sells bullets that are partially coated exactly like this. He also custom hydro dips firearms parts and that's how he got started with his bitone coated bullets. Is there any benefit to not coating the entire bullet?
    On a bore rider, if your nose is already where you want it, say .300” then you powder coat it, it’s going to end up around .302”. This will force you to seat the bullet deep into the case. This method prevents this from happening.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the tip waco. I've been using a different method to achieve the same goal. I only powder coat the driving bands, and not the bore riding nose. I'll try the "powder dip" method and see if it works better than what I've been doing. Early on I tried making up a nose sizing die to squeeze down the bore riding nose on powder coated bullets, but that was a dead end. It would resize the nose OK, but it would make it where the nose and driving bands were no longer concentric. Those bullets shot terrible. Then I found a method to powder coat only the driving bands, but it has been time consuming. Your method looks like it might speed up production. Even though I'm powder coating and gas checking my bullets, I also give them a swirl lube with 45-45-10. In my experience it has helped shrink my groups a little bit, and it isn't that much more extra effort to do.

The NOE 310-165-FN might be problematic if given a full shake-n-bake powder coat, but everybody's gun is different, so that's why I suggested that Wolfdog try it out to see if it will work in his rifle before he coats up a whole bunch of rounds. If he does have a problem then waco's process should be his first choice at trying to correct it.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
    That's an interesting suggestion! Never thought about that.

Cool idea for bore-riders.

Mind blown once again