Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingWidenersRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Load Data

Thread: out of round mould

Boolit Master

out of round mould

i have a lee 356-147 9mm mold that cast's .001 (.3565-.3575) out of round. was wondering if sizing to .357 with lube; or just tumble lube,which is what i want to do; would make a difference in accuracy. or does the out of round make no difference at 25 yards??

Boolit Buddy
    I'd think sizing would eliminate the problem, but since I'm a sizer rather than a tumbler that reflects my personal bias. Why not try a small batch of both for comparison? My gut feeling is that on a practical level the human error inherent in handgun shooting would make the problem irrelevant and one would see no difference between either bullet.

Boolit Grand Master

Sometimes it isn't the mould.

Out of round bullets can also be attributed to the alloy and/or casting temp. If you're using a ternary alloy with an ok amount of antimony but low on tine [such as COWWs] you might simply try adding 2% tin to the alloy or increasing the temperature of the alloy.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    Another option would be to PC the boolit, then size to your desired size. PC tends to bump up the diameter .001-002 in my experience. In this case it would give you just enough margin to be able to size accurately to your desired size.
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Boolit Grand Master
    Re out-of-round, tumble lubed boolits noticeably affecting accuracy:

Depends on the gun and the shooter. A master class shooter with a target grade pistol likely will notice some increase in group size. An average shooter with his Glock 19 likely won't.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    don't powder coat and never will. and, larry; same mix with another mold gives round bullets.

3 ways to go:

Don't worry about it if you're shooting 25yds or less & holding +/- 2"s for your shooting needs.

Learn your mold, the alloy will tell you when you have "complete" fill out. Less shrinkage of the sprue (sink hole) ='s less shrinkage of the bullet.

While powder coating is not a "fix all" it will definitely bump up the diameter of the bullet to make it able to be sized concentric.

Lee-menting?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by porthos View Post
    i have a lee 356-147 9mm mold that cast's .001 (.3565-.3575) out of round. was wondering if sizing to .357 with lube; or just tumble lube,which is what i want to do; would make a difference in accuracy. or does the out of round make no difference at 25 yards??
    When you shoot a bullet, it comes out sized to your barrel, I don't worry about .001" out of round for cast bullets.
    .001' out of round is really not too bad for a Lee mold.

Boolit Master
    What is your forcing cone and throat diameters? As long as the bullet seals the bore you should be fine. If it does not you'll get leading.

If undersize for bore you can either toss the mold, play with alloy to get a larger dia, or lap it. I did the lap thing with a Lee .308 mold. Bullets were still a bit out of round but the sizing fixed that and they shot well.

Boolit Man
    If this is a new mold Lee will exchange it.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by porthos View Post
    don't powder coat and never will. and, larry; same mix with another mold gives round bullets.
    That indicates it's not the alloy then.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    I bet it makes less of a difference than your skills at 25 yards. No I am not insulting your shooting skills just saying. Its a handgun and its 25 yards. Barrel will size that .001-.0005 out of roundness. As long as you are larger and not smaller.

Just get out and shoot. Heck I think most of my older lee molds are out of round.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

.001 (.3565-.3575)
    Not going to make a hill of beans difference
    once it starts through the forcing cone.
    Tumble it.
    Shoot it.