MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyWidenersReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingLoad DataLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Repackbox

Thread: Remington 141 pump magazine issue

Boolit Master

Remington 141 pump magazine issue

Hello all!
    I have a very nice Remington model 141 pump chambered in 30 Remington. I went to shoot it for the first time the other day and a round will only go about half-way into the magazine. It's not binding on anything, the magazine follower just won't go any further. Anyone here have experience with these rifles and have an idea of what might be wrong? I have suspicion that it was disassembled and then put back together with something out of place.
    Any help and direction would be much appreciated,
    Rick

Barring a magazine spring partial failure, the inside of the magazine tube most likely has some built up gunk in there that need to be scoured out.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master

Depending on the profile of the bullet, I have had a sharp spitzer bullet try to jam between the follower and the magazine tube.

Attempt to keep the meplat more toward the center of the follower as you insert the cartridge

It sounds like something is hung up behind the follower in the spiral walled magazine tube.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I believe something is hung up. I tried to insert a skinny screwdriver and it won't go any further than the loaded round. I can' tell without taking it apart but I think something is wrong with the spring or follower. The follower doesn't look as others have described it. I'll pull it out when I have the time.
    Thanks,
    Rick

Boolit Master
    Highly unlikely, but could some previous owner have slid a plug in the magazine spring, like in a shotgun, to make the magazine unusable? I can't imagine why, but people sometimes do some really odd things. The magazine cap is held in with one screw, would be easy to check.

Banned
    I was actually given a 141 in 35 remington 15 years ago by a person who no longer wanted it as it couldnt function correctly. If i remember, every 3rd or 4th time i worked the action, with or without a cartridge in it, the action block would sieze up and require the whole gun to be taken apart.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by RickinTN View Post
    Hello all!
    I have a very nice Remington model 141 pump chambered in 30 Remington. I went to shoot it for the first time the other day and a round will only go about half-way into the magazine. It's not binding on anything, the magazine follower just won't go any further. Anyone here have experience with these rifles and have an idea of what might be wrong? I have suspicion that it was disassembled and then put back together with something out of place.
    Any help and direction would be much appreciated,
    Rick
    Congrats on your GREAT rifle! I have a few old Remington pumps, and I suggest removing the cap/front piece of magazine tube -- easy -- and seeing what's in the tube! Hey -- years back a fellow at range bought a shotgun which had a rolled $5.00 silver certificate in it -- you may be lucky if the tube has some cash in it?
    I have several Model 14s in different calibres, and but one Model 141 -- in “.35 Rem", bearing a 50,2xx serial number -- having been produced in the year of my birth: 1948 !
    To hopefully be of help to you, I've added a couple of pictures -- assembly of the 14 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rem 14 assembly.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	58.0 KB 
ID:	321179 as well as a schematic. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rem 14 Schematic.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	85.3 KB 
ID:	321180.
    These rifles generally give me a chuckle as one of their prime designs was to enable suit-case carry on a choo-choo train -- which was the prime means of travel from many to area where they hunted. NOW? It is most illegal to even have a cased firearm on rails... The 8s, 81s, 14s, 141s, and the like REALLY were from the good old days!
    I do hope you get yours working -- and enjoy!!!
    geo