Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationWidenersLoad DataTitan Reloading
Repackbox Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hamburguer

Quote Originally Posted by Tall View Post
    I like to make my burgers with 80/20 ground beef, about 1/4 pound uncooked. I flatten the pattie and then soak it in olive oil on both sides. Then I add salt and pepper.

The frying pan is heated as hot as it will go, maybe 5 minutes before the meat is placed on it with the gas burner set to high.

Then the meat is grilled, about 6 minutes per side for well done. The cheddar cheese gets placed on the cooked side after it is flipped.

Col Pabst Worcestershire sauce is placed in the foil when the burger is wrapped up to rest for 2 minutes before eating. I like fresh lettuce, red onion slices, tomato, pickles and mustard on mine. With a sourdough bun.
    I like this recipe!!
    I would only add pickled cucumber

I love a good burger from a good greasy spoon restaurant with a side of thick cut fries.

Haven't found a really good one in years although there's a local Revel Burger that comes pretty close.

At home, I'm a fan of grilling over an open flame, mesquite chips underneath. I grill the buns on the fire, too. Best burgers you could ask for. I don't generally blend the beef with other meat any more because for me, the smoke flavor does the trick. Maybe add some pepper, garlic and a small dab of salt and I'm good. Melt some sharp cheddar on top but not too much. Garnish with lettuce, onion, tomato and green chile (sliced, not diced) and I'm in hog heaven! The balance of flavors is magnificent.

Sometimes, I'll make a bunch of patties very small and use them for sliders and use some dill pickles and use those King's Hawaiian rolls for buns. It tends to be a real hit.

On the occasions when I cook on the stove in a cast iron skillet, I toss the ball of beef in the pan for about a minute, then flip it over and smash it into a patty. Only one smash. Works very well and turning it over before the smash keeps it from sticking to the spatula.

Dang. Now I'm hungry.

--Wag--
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.

Boolit Bub
    Wow, I'm in.....

[QUOTE=Jeff Michel;5653596]I was in Federal inspection for 35 years and assigned to a plant that produced ground beef patties for McDonald's. Fact, The beef patties produced for McDonalds are 100% beef, period with at lean to fat ratio of 72% lean to 28% indigenous fat. These proportions are tested twice during the production process. You cannot add fat to Ground Beef patties, that is a labeling requirement. Beef Burger patties/Bubba burgers/hamburger patties and a thousand similar products can have added fat, heart, water, soy, seasoning. Check the label, if it's ground beef, that's all that will be the only item on the label. The 50 ingredients rumor is pure nonsense, the only burger that they produced with added ingredients was the McLean and that was carrageenan. It was determined that it had a cathartic effect on some people (that would be poopy sick) and it was dropped from production. It was also one of the cleanest, best maintained facilities I ever was assigned to. I cannot say that about a number of other patty stamping operations I've covered. FWIW, when I was there, they produced 1 million pounds a day, I kinda doubt they would start messing with the formulation with numbers like that.[/QUOTE

This is interesting. Was that for the USA or other countries???
    Did they butcher the cows there or ship in mystery meat for packaging??

About 40 years ago I heard a helicopter pilot tell my Dad that before he got that job he was over seas rounding up
    water buffalo for the USA Mcdonalds chain. He did also say that they were eventually shut down because they were getting other stuff in the meat too.
    Personally I cant stand McDs and it ticks me off that they call it a 1/4 pounder when it is in fact only 1/10 pound of meat
    Last edited by reloader28; 12-08-2023 at 06:09 AM.

Boolit Master
    We almost never go to McD, BK, Hardee's and those kind of places. For burgers out our go-to is Five Guys.
    We also don't buy beef at Walmart. We used to, but noticed the quality really dropping several years ago. Now most of out store-bought meat comes from Piggly Wiggly.
    I use ground chuck, patty it out, knuckle a hole in one side for expansion. Salt on the smooth side and put that side down in the hot iron skillet, then salt on the other side and maybe put some Worcestershire sauce in the knuckle hole. Maybe also some onions in the spaces between the patties. Flip them over when ready, and pepper the cooked side. Once they're fully done, pepper the other side.

I really like to fry my ground beef hamburger in bacon grease cook it with sliced onion and with delicious black pepper and sea salt mmmm good

The Monroe Hotel, one of our regular local restaurants here in Butler, makes a buffalo bacon bleu burger that is outstanding. Half a pound of ground beef, crumbled bleu cheese, bacon and their proprietary hot sauce. It is fabulous!

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12