Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingLoad DataWidenersTitan Reloading
Repackbox RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using a Star to size PC 9mm boolits

Using a Star to size PC 9mm boolits

I cast, PC and shoot lots of 9mm boolits. Currently I use my Rock Chucker press with a Lee sizer kit for the sizing part.
    The problem is that it takes rather a long time to size say 1000 boolits this way since the stroke on the Rock Chucker is rather long, and also pushing the boolits upwards throught the Lee die into the red plastic container, takes some effort when the container has a few hundred boolits in it.
    So my question is, would my Star sizer be faster/easier to use???
    I would of course not be using any lube since my boolits have no lube groove.
    Would appreciate any input

Boolit Buddy
    When I cast, I PC ASAP and size in thr next day or two as the PC tends to get harder. I use the Lee sizer on an old Pacifc single stage. I have got in the habit of grabbing a handful of bullets in my left hand and orienting them correctly and placing them a d guiding them up into the sizer and then only lowering the ram just enough to get another bullet in and go again. I don't encounter the resistance when the plastic container is full and I run it very full.

If you are picking them up one at a time and going completely through the ram motion, I could see the fatigue.

Boolit Buddy
    IMO a star is faster than the lee. A star with a bullet feeder is much faster but time is taken to tube the bullets.
    "EXPERT= Ex is a has been, spurt is a drip under pressure" Unknown

Boolit Master
    I size most all boolits with my Lyman 450 and most all my boolits are PC'd so I seldom lube. I do occasionally use a LEE push-thru for 30 cal that I expanded to .310" using my Lee Classic Cast press. I may be wrong but I can't believe the job would go any faster using a Star sizer. I recommend you try something first before spending money on a Star.

DITCH the Lee Red Container! As your sized boolit pops up at the top of the Lee sizing die take it with your left hand (assuming your right hand is on the press handle) and drop it in a plastic bowl...... then do it again. My 2 cents.
    COME AND TAKE IT
    Let’s Go Brandon!!!!

Boolit Buddy

I bought the NOE Star adapter and a handful of sizers. Cost was less the price of 1 Star lube die GW

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by G W Wade View Post
    I bought the NOE Star adapter and a handful of sizers. Cost was less the price of 1 Star lube die GW
    Thanks for posting that. I did not know such an animal existed.
    Don Verna

Moderator Emeritus

I use the inverted Press technique with Lee boolit size dies.
    I find this technique speeds things up, because I can just drop a Boolit into the die, cycle the press, boolit drops into container.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    I use my star to size PC'd accurate 35-115y. I used to do a 20 minute bake but had to use a lanolin case lube to get it through the sizing die. Increased my bake time to 30 minutes and didn't need to lube anymore. I cast, coat, bake and size in a 4-5 hour period. The extra hour is if I decide to take a bike ride. I size 750 bullets in 45 minutes at a leisurely pace. Nose first sizing. Just to check, I can use a single finger on the handle to size. They get sized from .360 to .357.

Quote Originally Posted by G W Wade View Post
    Could you please post a link to this?
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    I find this technique speeds things up, because I can just drop a Boolit into the die, cycle the press, boolit drops into container.
    Intersting comment JonB......I have to look into this, have no idea how it works, is it a specific press by Lee? I maybe mention that I do have a Star lubsizer, it is just not mounted permantly on my bench since space is a problem.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by hermans View Post
    Intersting comment JonB......I have to look into this, have no idea how it works, is it a specific press by Lee? I maybe mention that I do have a Star lubsizer, it is just not mounted permantly on my bench since space is a problem.
    Well, if space is a problem, then my suggestion isn't probably a good one for you.
    I made a "Stand" that mounts to the bench so a press can be mounted upside down.
    Attachment 320535

here is a long thread about others doing the same.
    https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...n-Sizing-Press
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”

Quote Originally Posted by waco View Post
    Yes please post us the link!

Well, if space is a problem, then my suggestion isn't probably a good one for you.
    I made a "Stand" that mounts to the bench so a press can be mounted upside down.
    Attachment 320535

Thanks JohnB, now I have a lot of reading to do on the inverted press technique!

I use the Lee app press to size my pc cast bullets, it’s very fast at doing so. They are very affordable also.

Boolit Buddy

Sorry, computer challenged due to age and stubbornness. I goggles NOE Sizing die. Look under sizing dies and adapter is listed, GW

Boolit Master
    Attachment 320535

It does indeed work well. And, IMHO, is the reason Lee designed the APP and their newer bushing dies.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Gtrubicon View Post
    I use the Lee app press to size my pc cast bullets, it’s very fast at doing so. They are very affordable also.
    I purchased one for the exact purpose. I can't stab slugs in the tubes fast enough. I do not like a lot of Lee products as they are made CHEAPLY(dont hold up), but I do appreciate the designs. The App press is stupid fast and invaluable for sizing PC slugs. If mine broke today, I'd have another one on the way immediately.

Boolit Master
    That’s a really good idea. Just add a vibrating chute so the boolits just slide into the die on their own.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by hermans View Post
    Yes please post us the link!
    https://noebulletmolds.com/site/shop...or-star-sizer/

https://noebulletmolds.com/site/prod...ools/bushings/
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks JonB.....
    Had a look at the adaptor and sizing dies. I think to start off I am just going to mount my Star with the existing Star 9mm sizing die, made by Lathesmith and just see how it goes. At this point I might consider making a bullet feeder for the Star since I already have a collator which I 3D printed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast