Load DataLee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading Everything
RepackboxRotoMetals2WidenersTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky

Thread: Moisture proofing a cap and ball revolver

Boolit Master

Moisture proofing a cap and ball revolver

What's the consensus on whether it's possible to keep black powder functional in a cap and ball cylinder under adverse conditions? To my way of thinking, the only real difference between a C&B pistol and one loaded with BP in a cartridge gun is how tightly the cap adheres and seals to the nipple. A conventional cartridge primer has a much tighter fit than a percussion cap but isn't waterproof. In fact, the cap and ball may have an advantage on the loaded end, because the ball or bullet is forcibly swaged into the chamber and typically topped with a bit of grease or a wad.

I've read Hickok fired his revolvers regularly and reloaded fresh rounds with some regularity (perhaps weekly?) but that may have been done out of an abundance of caution - or he may have experienced dud chambers every so often and recognized the potential for a misfire. He didn't live in artificially controlled environments and was subject to whatever Mother Nature had up her sleeve from week to week. Also didn't hurt his marksmanship, since it's logical to assume he wasn't firing blindly into the air (although that is speculation on my part).

About twenty years ago, I loaded an Uberti 1860 Army replica and stuck it in a dresser drawer, then completely forgot about it for 5 or 6 years. I found it one winter when looking from some long johns, then took it to deer camp the following weekend and fired all six. None showed any signs of deterioration but of course, it was stored inside the house for most of that time.

Reason I'm asking is that one of my sons wants to load an 1858 Remington replica I have and leave it wrapped up inside an enclosed tractor cab, just as a last-ditch insurance policy in case he is approached while plowing or whatever. He normally carries a 9mm on his belt when working in the field but sometimes takes it off for maintenance issues, and you never know who might walk up in the middle of nowhere. If you live in south or west Texas, you'll understand who I'm talking about.

Boolit Man
    Interesting topic
    I found some things for you to look at.

https://www.bing.com/search?pglt=129...DAF1=1&PC=HCTS

I have a couple of the Pietta 1858 New Army Pistols,one with an 8 inch barrel and the other the so called Sherrif's model with a 5.5 inch barrel.

I really like them,got 4 extra cylinders.
    Can swap out Cylinders far faster than Ejecting cases and Reloading from a Single Action Pistol.

I surely dont want to find out but I suspect a round ball in front of bout 30-35 grains of Black powder or Pyrodex P would do the Job For him.

I would appreciate it If you would keep this thread going with your finding's
    Last edited by bcraig; 12-01-2023 at 04:48 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bcraig View Post
    Interesting topic
    I found some things for you to look at.

https://www.bing.com/search?pglt=129...DAF1=1&PC=HCTS

I have a couple of the Pietta 1858 New Army Pistols,one with an 8 inch barrel and the other the so called Sherrif's model with a 5.5 inch barrel.

I really like them,got 4 extra cylinders.
    Can swap out Cylinders far faster than Ejecting cases and Reloading from a Single Action Pistol.

I surely dont want to find out but I suspect a round ball in front of bout 30-35 grains of Black powder or Pyrodex P would do the Job For him.

I would appreciate it If you would keep this thread going with your finding's
    I didn't even look on YouTube before posting this thread but the one video seems to prove that a relatively brief immersion won't kill the charges. I'm more concerned about long term effects and perhaps we should just fire a cylinder every so often as a preventive discipline.

Along the same lines, I once spilled a small amount of black powder on a steel welding table inside an uncontrolled shop environment and left it there (was about 20-25 grains). I later noticed that condensation had made the powder wet, so I let it stay on the table until the weather dried out. I then hit the pile with a propane torch and it flashed, so the powder certainly may have lost some nitrate and weakened but still went bang once it was dry. The steel table also rusted like nobody's business, and the rust had a life of its own. I wire brushed the crust but the rust kept coming back until I got a grinding wheel and removed the pitting.

I’m interested in this as well. Last summer I loaded my 58 Remington and let it set for a week. Then shot it and it was as normal. I did this in weekly increments up to 4 weeks and it was the same. But it was summer so hot and dry. This might be fun to do again now that it’s winter. Humidity isn’t an issue whatever time of the year it is here in Northern California, I suspect that goes along way with BP firearms.

I've carried C&Bs on a belt for finishing deer and coyotes during the fall & winter hunting seasons. I would be very careful to have no oil or lube that could directly contact the powder. I would put grease over the ball and have tight fitting caps. The guns were worn on a belt while in the field and kept loaded for 3-4 months at a time. It seemed no matter what gun I used (.44 Colt "Navy" or 36 cal Remington Navy) I would have at least one misfire at the end of the hunting season when I shot the gun dry prior to cleaning and putting it away. The only thing I didn't do that I had read can waterproof a C&B is to drip candle wax onto the seated caps to seal out water. I never did that because I figured it would be hard to clean off. I did not use flap holsters. I suspect the indoor (camp trailer)/outdoor temperature changes during the season may have contributed to the misfires. Maybe next time no over ball grease will help.
    Hellgate in Orygun
    With 16+revolvers, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of cap&ball.
    If you do not subscribe to a newspaper you are uninformed. If you do subscribe to a newspaper you are misinformed. Mark Twain
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

I could get pretty extreme brain storming this one.
    Totally degrease the chambers and nipples before assembly so nothing wicks out of the nipple threads.
    Perhaps try a punched out piece of plastic wrap between the nipple and cap and then seal with acetone based nail polish same as waterproofing the primers on cartridges.
    Don't use anything beneath the ball but powder.
    Seal the front of the chambers with a non-penetrating beeswax based lube compatible with your expected environmental conditions.
    What else?

I have left my Pietta loaded for 3-6 years and all fired fine. No rough conditions or wax on nipples but did seal the balls with dripped wax.

Boolit Master
    Not to get completely off the original post but if you or your son is that concerned about members of the Rio Bravo swim team you can find adds for $300 9mms all the time. Cheap insurance even if you have to go on the beans and rice diet a couple months to afford it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LIMPINGJ View Post
    Not to get completely off the original post but if you or your son is that concerned about members of the Rio Bravo swim team you can find adds for $300 9mms all the time. Cheap insurance even if you have to go on the beans and rice diet a couple months to afford it.
    He already carries a 9mm but was going to toss the ‘58 in the tractor cab, mostly because it’s sort of a throwaway piece. However, as I consider this further, I could give him a .38 or something similar and it would probably be more reliable.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Military caps frequently had their mouths lightly coated in beeswax so they would form a watertight seal on the nipples.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Gallon Ziplock bag with one of those little moisture absorbing packets?

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by HWooldridge View Post
    He already carries a 9mm but was going to toss the ‘58 in the tractor cab, mostly because it’s sort of a throwaway piece. However, as I consider this further, I could give him a .38 or something similar and it would probably be more reliable.
    Oh
    So, get everybody to put their thinking cap on for you and
    Then lo and behold now you are talking about using one of those New fangled shooting irons that cannot even be loaded as fast as the Grand Old Remington New Army .
    https://youtu.be/3kqEgijuCu4?si=OzHONv3HsnkNKaal

https://youtu.be/_rYw53Eq604?si=7afoGCJac61jdFaW

Next thing you know you will be trying to convince everyone that there is a Eating establishment in Amarillo that will give you a 72 ounce Steak and all the trimming's Free with the Caveat that you have to eat it all within an Hour !

Boolit Master
    Oh
    Then lo and behold now you are talking about using one of those New fangled shooting irons that cannot even be loaded as fast as the Grand Old Remington New Army .

Next thing you know you will be trying to convince everyone that there is a Eating establishment in Amarillo that will give you a 72 ounce Steak and all the trimming's Free with the Caveat that you have to eat it all within an Hour !
    Sure, I like making everyone exercise their gray matter! Keeps you young…

I can’t comment on Amarillo - haven’t been there lately.

Boolit Master
    Oh

I can load a revolver with six from belt loops faster than that. Speedloaders are even faster and full moon clips…

The best advice given so far was to pick up another pistol or revolver that uses cartridges. Unless your kids life is not highly valued.

Besides, what happens when you drop one of those loaded cylinders?

Kevin
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Man
    [QUOTE=HWooldridge;5653285]Sure, I like making everyone exercise their gray matter! Keeps you young…
    I will have to try making everyone Else excercise THEIR gray matter to keep ME younger !
    Sounds just wild and crazy enough that it might work,I know for a fact that Excercising MY gray matter is not keeping ME young.!
    I have been noticing for years that every day that goes by I am a day older .

For those who have not heard of The Big Texan In Amarillo Tx there is a rich History behind it.
    https://www.bigtexan.com/

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by StrawHat View Post
    I can load a revolver with six from belt loops faster than that. Speedloaders are even faster and full moon clips…

The best advice given so far was to pick up another pistol or revolver that uses cartridges. Unless your kids life is not highly valued.
    The gentleman did not ask about a Pistol or Revolver that uses Cartridges He asked about a Remington 1858.
    I doubt MANY would infer that his kid's life is not highly Valued,from his question about the Cap and ball pistol.
    And I think that MOST that would do so would have sore back's and leg's from jumping to such wild conclusion's

Besides, what happens when you drop one of those loaded cylinders?

Kevin
    Thank you Captain Obvious

Said tongue in cheek !
    https://www.bing.com/search?q=DEfini...DAF1=1&PC=HCTS

Double action Revolver maybe,using a conventional single action revolver where the empties need to be ejected one at a time with the ejecter rod and where the rounds are loaded one at a time through the Loading gate then yes Just changing Cylinders is much faster.

Boolit Master
    This concept wasn’t intended to require a reload - it was more like a hideout piece he could hang next to the seat and gain access if the 9mm wasn’t immediately available. The tractor is a 150 hp JD with closed cab so most things inside are fairly protected.

He has a .45 Colt SAA clone that can suffice. We’ll probably leave it at that and be done with it.

Boolit Man
    Ya know if he just takes his 9mm off for Maintenence issues How is any other Gun in the cab going to help when gets is out of the Tractor when he leaves the cab without a gun on him?

The weight of the 9mm will not be an Issue as he wont be walking a long way from the tractor.
    About the only issue working on the tractor would be if having to lay on the ground to work on the tractor or whatever implement that he is pulling.

Either way there are only so many options ,I always carried a Colt Lightweight Commander when anywhere on the farm and never took it off until I got home and ready to go to bed.

Regardless of gun chosen always have at least one gun on your Body and I Personally always carry a New York Reload.

I have heard so many guys tell me that they dont carry unless they feel like that may need a gun.

I always tell them that they never know when they may need one.

And that if they are going somewhere that they Really ,Really,Really feel like they May actually need a gun, the solution is to not go there at all !!

Then Invariably I get that "Wow I could have had a V-8 Look"

Always carry,always be alert and keep your eyes open.

Keeping any gun in the Tractor could just be a good way to arm a criminal.

If the Tractor is locked inside a farm shop that helps a lot from getting your gun stolen and for that matter your tractor if left outside.

Strap the Pistol on before you leave the house and keep it on at least until you are back in your house for the night,and preferably till you go to bed.

And keep in Mind that you will have a relatively Fast and Powerfull weapon at your disposal with the Tractor that you are using,Escape using the tractor if you can and if you cant escape , well you could always still use the tractor to stop them from Maiming or Killing you !!

Boolit Master
    Bcraig,

Theft was certainly something we also thought about. My son is the ranch manager but he’s not the only one who uses the equipment. They have a small crew of workers and they are generally good guys but a few lowlifes have passed through and been fired for various reasons.

Boolit Master
    On all my Slixshot nipples, CCI #11 caps fit so tightly they are impossible to pull off with the fingers.

I think having a good flap holster would help a lot.