MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Wideners RotoMetals2

Thread: .30-40 Krag

Boolit Bub

.30-40 Krag

Is it wise to form Krag cases from .303 British? Else nothing is close. Other than a slightly shorter case, any other problems?

Danke

I have one .303 case that I ran through the 30-40 sizing die last year.( after reading of it here).
    It’s a little bit short but since I don’t crimp the bullets in my Krag- it works just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Back years ago during the first Krag brass shortage I used 303 brass to form 30/40. Case is short but unless you need to crimp it worked fine. My Krag had a rather long head to shoulder dimension and I sized the 303 a little at a time until the bolt would just close on the case and then neck sized after that. Cases held up well and used them until 30/40 brass became available again.

Boolit Master

I tried it just to see how it worked if I needed to. Several reloads and it worked fine.
    Take a kid along

Boolit Buddy
    I did it in the past with no problems.

Boolit Master
    I've done it with no issues

I've done it for years for my 95' Win. I don't have to crimp with the 95'. Works like a charm, but I anneal the cases prior. Not sure annealing is 'absolutely' necessary, but can't hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Dave View Post
    I've done it for years for my 95' Win. I don't have to crimp with the 95'. Works like a charm, but I anneal the cases prior. Not sure annealing is 'absolutely' necessary, but can't hurt.
    Annealing is absolutely necessary for case longevity. Properly annealed cases will get groups more reloads as opposed to not annealing.

06 brass who cares? Shoot it until it splits then toss. 30-40, you nurse every loading you can get out of them.

I should have clarified, yes, absolutely necessary, except when I form I use new Prvi Partizan cases pre-annealed, and it may not be entirely necessary at that stage, but very much so for repeated loadings. Then again, I have always annealed the pre-annealed Prvi's as well, so not sure if they might need it as well, but I'm guessing no, although I do it anyway. If one is using once-fired .303 brass, then for sure, anneal.