Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
RepackboxReloading EverythingWidenersLee Precision
Load Data Snyders Jerky

Thread: white 'oxidation' on chrome tanned leather?

white 'oxidation' on chrome tanned leather?

I have some older chrome tanned leather that has a white coating developed on it, I was thinking I could wipe it off with vinegar. I have a small project I would like to use it for. Any help would be appreciated? Thanks, Tom

could it be mold + not oxidation ?
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

It could be a thin layer of mold? Appears to be only on the surface, was in my basement, which now has a dehumidifier..

vinegar will remove mold - treat with wax after -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

It's a common thing for chrome tanned leather, it's called spew. You can get spew remover that will keep it from coming back. It's essentially some of the chemicals coming out of the leather from sloppy tanning. You need a specific spew remover, and not just conditioner or cleaner, otherwise, it'll keep coming back.
    BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets

Lead Alloy Calculator

Boolit Man
    Hopefully you can fix the Holster,before I spent a lot doing that I would make one from vegatable tanned Leather.

It sounds like mildew. I've wrestled with the problem of reoccurring mildew for years, and tried all sorts of stuff including alcohol, vinegar, saddle soap, etc. I think I finally found the cure.....hydrogen peroxide. I've had this Czech holster for years, and it gradually became snow white. When I decided to try the hydrogen peroxide it took 3 applications over about a year's time, but this is how it looks now. Last application was about 3 months ago, and so far there is no sign of the mildew returning. I used an old sock cut open to make a gun rag, and applied the HP with the rough side, scrubbing a bit as needed. I used an old toothbrush to scrub the stitching. I recently tried it on a leather pistol rug, and it also is looking pretty good. I hesitate to announce this to the world as a great discovery, but it's the best I've tried so far...and I presently have no more mildew infected items.

DG

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IM007472.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	57.0 KB 
ID:	320633

Boolit Grand Master

Here in Louisiana , when leather gets a white substance growing on it ...
    it's either mold or mildew . (mold - white stuff on leather not mould - the thing you cast boolits with )
    I like Dr. Jackson's Leather Cleaner , available from Tandy Leather , for removal and if the problem persists ... I finish or re-finish the leather .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"