MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackboxLee Precision
Wideners Reloading Everything

Thread: 45-70 loads

Boolit Buddy

Exclamation 45-70 loads

My favorite load for the 45-70 is 40 grains of IMR 4198 under an RCBS mould 440 grain gc cast, this gets 1823 fps over the chronograph.
    45 caliber hole in, way bigger upon exit.
    Never recovered one yet........
    This load was safe in my rifle, (CVA Scout) always work up to any and all loads.
    The 45-70, the only Government I trust.
    The Gospel of speed is accuracy.

Boolit Master
    That’s a pretty stiff load for the CVA, but I like it…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    I imagine that load kills on the front and cripples on the back in that light CVA. BTW we know a good shoulder surgeon.

38.5 3031 and Lee 405 HB (factory duplicate) is my only .45-70 load except for black powder or nitro-for-black. Not much in America that needs more than that to shut them down. But then, there's not much in America that needs more than a .30-30 or .303 either, as long as one practices getting close and then 10 yards closer.

I have the cva scout in 45-70. I emailed cva and asked them what pressure rating it was and they said Marlin range.
    Endeavor to persevere

An ounce of lead at 1823 fps will leave a mark!

At both ends lol Really one does not need that hot of a load depending on range and what you are going to use it for . If you are young and doing it for fun I understand. Been there done that. My load though was the Ranch Dog 350gr gc with 52.0gr of h-322 and a fed large rifle primer. 3/4groups at 100 yards from Marlin guide gun .:O

I chose H-322 powder as Ranch Dog informed me how well it worked and I trusted his opinion.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

My 5 main boolits for the 45/70 range from 420gns to 550gns

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Master
    530 gr of 30:1 over a duplex load of 6 gr 4759 and 60 gr 2FG. .030” card wad.
    I have danced with the Devil. She had excellent attorneys.

Boolit Buddy
    I've shot 27gr of 5744 behind a 405gr bullet, and it's a comfortable and accurate load. In attempting to flatten the trajectory a bit, and because I was loading them long to fit the chamber, I tried 30gr, same combo. Nope. Steel buttplate on the Buffalo Classic and that extra 3gr was enough to make it unpleasant. I'll get it zero'd at 100 with the 27gr, and figure out holdover/under for other ranges with the same combo.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Dan View Post
    530 gr of 30:1 over a duplex load of 6 gr 4759 and 60 gr 2FG. .030” card wad.
    Just curious, why the duplex load?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by sukivel View Post
    Just curious, why the duplex load?

Duplex loading shoots MUCH cleaner than straight black. You can shoot all day without cleaning. This method was used by many, many of the old time riflemen in the 1890's and early 1900's. Reloading with straight smokeless was slow to catch on in the early days.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt H View Post
    I imagine that load kills on the front and cripples on the back in that light CVA. BTW we know a good shoulder surgeon.
    I wish I saw this earlier. I loaded and fired about 20 historically accurate 45-70 BP loads and my right shoulder was in severe pain three days later. Its now been three weeks and I can still feel it a little. I bought a wearable thick shoulder recoil pad and got a slip on gel pad for the stock of the gun itself.

Incidentally, this is why the .45-55 exists. Its actually the same cartrige with less powder in it because the cavalry carbines were light, like the CVA scout, and were recoiling too heavy for someone shooting from horseback.

Boolit Grand Master
    some rifles are adaptable for a recoil reducing device. either an old mercury reducer or a spring loaded weight. haven't install any of those in years, but I can tell you they work

Boolit Mold
    I bought a Pedersoli sharps rifle 45/70 with a curved buttstock it was painful to shoot any more than a couple of shots and at the competition I shoot it is 25 shots. I now have a shotgun buttstock Shiloh sharps and it is an easy shooter still 45/70 some of the guys use those pads you ware over your shirt or coat.

Boolit Master
    I don't recall the load, but I had some 340 gr. Lee bullets that I had loaned kinda hot with 4198...... In my H & R.... let's just say I did some load re development! First shot was met with an ouch, future shots were the same, and I decided anything beyond light lever loads are off the menu! I am not recoil shy, but that would be self abuse,to say the least. All of this is a long way to say it all depends on the rifle, and the shooter!
    Chicken Little has finally found an audience