RepackboxReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Load Data Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lee TL bullets--does sizing increase accuracy.

Boolit Master

Lee TL bullets--does sizing increase accuracy.

Was wondering if anyone has tested accuracy using Lee .38 Cal TL bullets--sized vs unsized. I have used the 148 WC-TL & 158 SWC-TL and found no significant difference. But many shoot them at paper targets and may have some experience regarding this. If so, please share your observations.

Thank you!

Boolit Master
    I always did size them. But I didn't shoot a lot of them. The only TL molds I have is the 124gr 9mm mold (which I hate), the 158 SWC which has proved a VERY accurate bullet (best group ever shot was with this one), and the original Ranch Dog 190gr bullet, which I don't shoot much anymore due to it really being too heavy for the 357mag.
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Banned

Lee TL bullets are designed to be cast, lubed, and loaded as is. May or may not work in your gun.

Wally, I've found what you have; i.e, sizing is more for lube purposes when I don't tumble lube. Accuracy is ~the same either way.

Sizing is always detrimental to accuracy, because it causes the bullet to be swaged slightly, and with no guarantee of concentricity. The catch 22 is, that when you have a batch of bullets they will vary slightly in diameter, when you size them they will then have nearly the same bullet pull, and nearly the same pressure going through the cylinder throats.
    BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets

Lead Alloy Calculator

Boolit Master
    FIL and I fired 10's of thousands of bullets from Lee molds in a couple dozen different guns without sizing all from straight WW alloy. And, yes, pan lubing was a PITA but it was cheap

Moderator Emeritus

Fun fact:
    They are all sized when they are shot.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    Fun fact:
    Yes indeed the cylinder throats will size them; as long as the rounds will chamber, you are good to go. Theoretically sizing makes the bullets uniform and that should offer the best accuracy, but in my expeinece not enough to make much difference. However I was hoping to hear from a shooter that has tried shooting sized & unsized in paper targets to see what results they've had.

Boolit Master
    The only bullets I've tested for longer range accuracy (100-500yd) have all been sized to fit the bore of the rifle, and then seated to jam into the rifling. The bore riders (like the longer lee 'C' series) have to be touching the lands in the bore or accuracy may suffer. For my .308 Savage barrel the Lyman 311299 and RCBS 165SIL fit the bore out of the mold. The Lee C309-180 had to be powder coated for the nose to fit properly. All of them were sized to .310 mainly because I had to crimp gas checks anyway.

Boolit Master

Fun fact:
    That says it all right there!
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    Sizing is always detrimental to accuracy, because it causes the bullet to be swaged slightly, and with no guarantee of concentricity. The catch 22 is, that when you have a batch of bullets they will vary slightly in diameter, when you size them they will then have nearly the same bullet pull, and nearly the same pressure going through the cylinder throats.
    Well, that may be. But I've never known Lee molds to be entirely concentric.... I've had quite a few egg shaped molds from them over the years....
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post
    Yes indeed the cylinder throats will size them; as long as the rounds will chamber, you are good to go. Theoretically sizing makes the bullets uniform and that should offer the best accuracy, but in my expeinece not enough to make much difference. However I was hoping to hear from a shooter that has tried shooting sized & unsized in paper targets to see what results they've had.
    so i just ran this experiment today. im running a lee 356-120-tc-Tl in my sr9e. granted im powder coating them and not tumble lubing them. i get my best accuracy by sizing to .357 before powder coat. i than shake and bake the bullets and than resize again to .357. to day i tried shooting unsized powder coated boolits and it did not go over very well. groups went from fist size at 15 yards to a shot gun pattern at 15 yards with out sizing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jdgabbard View Post
    Well, that may be. But I've never known Lee molds to be entirely concentric.... I've had quite a few egg shaped molds from them over the years....
    ^^^this and Lee size options are shall I say "limited"? As such I have to 'Beagle' them to get the size I need guaranteeing non-concentric. I size them all.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oley55 View Post
    ^^^this and Lee size options are shall I say "limited"? As such I have to 'Beagle' them to get the size I need guaranteeing non-concentric. I size them all.
    No, I mean egg shaped from the factory. They’re better now. But back in the day I had more out of round Lee molds than I had ones that were round.

True, but it isn't just Lee moulds. I've had several Lyman moulds that cast egg shaped bullets.
    BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets

Lead Alloy Calculator

Boolit Master
    It seems like a nice idea to save a step of sizing, if the bullets shoot fine as dropped.

I gave up on this, because there's one thing to watch out for. If you drop some bullets where the mold didn't quite close all the way they come out oversize. If you accidentally load some of these, they can jam your gun up.

Fun fact:
    great point - i only size rifle boolits + shoot all pistol boolits as cast -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by gloob View Post
    It seems like a nice idea to save a step of sizing, if the bullets shoot fine as dropped.

I gave up on this, because there's one thing to watch out for. If you drop some bullets where the mold didn't quite close all the way they come out oversize. If you accidentally load some of these, they can jam your gun up.
    Exactly what I found, especially when cast with the Lee 6 holer. I size all my TL bullets (.32, 38s, 41s and 44s).
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Buddy
    Lots of variables in all of this.

One assumes that all cavities are exactly the same. There is something to be said for uniformity and I find the sizing die provides that. You can also get different diameters just with the lead mix you are using, or failing to get the mold shut perfectly tight or just wear on the mold over time. To me, this is where sizing eliminates some of those variables.

I was headed to the range a few months ago and wanted to shoot some 38's. In the past I cast bullets with the Lee TL design. I sized to .358 and shot a bunch and later fell in love with an RCBS mold in SWC. Anyway, I found a full 100 round box of the TL bullets and yes I did TL them and wow were they accurate and dead on in my Model 28 and 66.

For those that use the Lee sizers, read the directions. They do NOT recommend sizing directly on the lead. I tried it once with terrible results, spent a lot of time cleaning lead out of my sizing die. Not sure what is accomplished by sizing the lead, coating powder or TL, and sizing again. Pour, coat, size and shoot.

Boolit Master
    Huskerguy your experience with the .38 Cal TL bullets mirror mine---accurate and dead on in my .38 Caliber pistols. One can size them first--just roll them over a lightly oil lubed pad first. A light coating of motor oil is all you need. I wonder if anyone has sized/lubed TL bullets in a traditional Lyman/RCBS lube sizer?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast