RepackboxLee PrecisionReloading EverythingWideners
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad Data
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Rotating images

Rotating images

How do you rotate an image when making a post?

Attachment 320421
    AKA "Old Vic"
    "I am a great believer in powder-burning".
    --Theodore Roosevelt, Hunting Trips of a Ranchman

Not an expert, but a home computer usually has a rotate button/feature on its photo program.

Some have said if you rotate your phone, it lines up that way.
    If you're looking at a picture, and rotate your phone, it flips the picture so you see it correctly from top to bottom.
    It will save/upload it the same way.

You might try rotating your phone 90 degrees before you upload it.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Winger, The image is on my computer saved in the correct orientation. I tried rotating it on my computer, then uploading again, but it just displayed the same as before.
    AKA "Old Vic"

Boolit Buddy
    I have the same problem sometimes. I just gave up.
    "EXPERT= Ex is a has been, spurt is a drip under pressure" Unknown

Boolit Master
    Yeah, it’s magic.

Turn your computer sideways.

I was on another forum where this was a problem. The fix for it was to only take pics to upload with the phone's buttons to the right side. So rotate phone counterclockwise with it sitting horizontally. Any other orientation would result in sideways pics.
    Last edited by steve urquell; 11-30-2023 at 12:47 AM.
    Dan Wesson 744V .44mag, S&W Mod 19-4 .357 , Stevens 200 .223

Interesting. So the photo is correct before you upload it, and then rotates when uploaded? That's wild.
    BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets

Lead Alloy Calculator

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    Interesting. So the photo is correct before you upload it, and then rotates when uploaded? That's wild.
    That's how it was on the other forum I was on. I even tried rotating them the other way and even upside down and they always came out sideways. Then I just made sure to have the home and back buttons to the right side and it always came out right.
    Dan Wesson 744V .44mag, S&W Mod 19-4 .357 , Stevens 200 .223

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by shell70634 View Post
    I have the same problem sometimes. I just gave up.
    Me too.

Can get frustrating.
    Don Verna

Steve, that's interesting. When I took the photo the phone was in the vertical orientation. I will have to try that.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	,door test A.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	31.4 KB 
ID:	320462

This photo was taken with the phone in the horizontal. Works just like you said. So would have to anticipate in advance if you intend to post a picture on this forum. Hmm?
    AKA "Old Vic"

I use a photo viewer program called IRFan View (do an internet search)....you can view the picture in its original orientation...hit either the L or the R key to rotate it left or right then re-save the image. You can also use this program to change the resolution of the image to make it smaller so castboolits doesn't complain about the size.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Doughty View Post
    How do you rotate an image when making a post?

Attachment 320421
    Pretty much all replies to your question have been correct. Imho (note the last "o" : opinion!) the TWO major challenges folks are faced with in their attempt to post are #1 image size; and #2 the orientation. A third might be added, as "cropping" -- but that need not be first addressed.
    MY solution to the challenges I faced was to download a free or relatively inexpensive picture program to your computer. Whatever photo you like from your digital camera or cellular telephone, email it your computer. Then, copy/paste the photo into this aftermarket photo program -- on mine, click "new" and paste it on the screen. That easy! And then you may resize it; crop it; and rotate it to the orientation you desire. When you're happy, save it, and then you have an image to post!
    I use an obsolete program called FotoFinish; if you might find a copy -- I do highly recommend it. For kicks, I just spent less than one minute to, using FotoFinish, rotate your image; auto-adjust exposure; re-size; and rotate the image. Easy peasy The only bad part is for folks who just have, say, an iPad as the only device cannot do this, as you must have the separate device (e.g., digital camera or cellular telephone) to send the image in need of "correction" (e.g., rotation) to.
    Here's what I got: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lady w grouse.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	53.4 KB 
ID:	320464
    I mentioned the "size" challenge. To wit, if one takes a photo with, say, an iPhone, the image is H*U*G*E!!! Some of those I have taken are like 48 inches by 27 inches or so! The number of pixels is tooooo many to be uploaded. Hence, the "raw" (or cropped, if you've done that) image has to be shrunk down to a size that now has enough (or, perhaps a better word may be "few") pixels to be enabled to be uploaded to the forum. Again, with the after-market photo program, it is really easy to resize. I always shrink my pictures so the maximum of any size is ten inches (or less). This works!
    Last edited by georgerkahn; 12-01-2023 at 10:26 AM.

Really good George. Now impress me even more and send me a copy of FotoFinish!

oldvic38 at yahoodotcom
    AKA "Old Vic"

George, I just tried it with a photo program I had already. Worked just like you stated. So I guess you could cancel my request for the FotoFinish.

The things you learn on Cast Boolits.

IMHO this thread would make a good sticky.

Redhawk, after rereading your post, I see that you were saying basically the same thing as George. Thanks for the input.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nancy1grouse23b.jpg  
    Last edited by Doughty; 11-30-2023 at 11:17 PM.
    AKA "Old Vic"

Moderator Emeritus

Doughty -- so happy that I could help!!! I appreciate your letting me know my suggestions worked. If I might ask -- for future reference -- the name of the photo program you have that worked? I just Googled FotoFinish and a link came up for downloading -- https://fotofinish.software.informer.com/3.0/ -- but, already having it I clicked the link not. Hence, I cannot attest to its validity/worth/whatever -- lots of Internet clicks do not give what one hopes to get ...
    geo

George, it is a simple thing that was right in front of me all along. The laptop I use has Windows 11 on it and a bunch of included programs (apps). One is called File Explorer where all my images are kept. If you open an image there, it gives you a place to "edit image." If you edit the image in any way you can then save that image and if you then upload this edited image to Cast Boolits it will then display in the correct orientation. There is another portion of the program where you can resize and then save, but if you upload that it will still be incorrectly orientated.
    AKA "Old Vic"

Moderator Emeritus

George, it is a simple thing that was right in front of me all along. The laptop I use has Windows 11 on it and a bunch of included programs (apps). One is called File Explorer where all my images are kept. If you open an image there, it gives you a place to "edit image." If you edit the image in any way you can then save that image and if you then upload this edited image to Cast Boolits it will then display in the correct orientation. There is another portion of the program where you can resize and then save, but if you upload that it will still be incorrectly orientated.
    Thank you for the explanation! My PC has Windows 10 on it and may NOT be updated to Windows 11 -- too old, small, or ???. Regardless, my OS, too, has File Explorer, with the Icon of a paper file folder "always there" on bottom task bar. I edited a screen shot I had taken of a calendar, earlier today, and by golly...it works! I, too, learned sum-thin! Thanks! And, thanks to you, forum members have a second means to orient and shrink their images for posting!
    geo

Boolit Master
    I’ve long guessed that MS uses some meta-tag that affects orientation of the picture, so if you rotate it and save it’ll still show wrong on the forum which doesn’t read the tag, but if you rotate and make any other change then save it will show correctly on the forum. Haven’t tested, just a guess.

Boolit Buddy

Experiment with your phone when taking a photo. If I hold my phone vertical and take a photo; the image will transfer to my computer and will store in my Photo's page. When I have to transfer and download the photo to my page on the Cast Boolits it will print in the correct orientation. If it does not try taking 4 photos and take note of how you have held your phone. Upload the photos and see which photo loads upright. Try it! Worked for me after the frustration of uploading photos sideways.