MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Load Data Repackbox

Thread: Henry and Cowboy Action

Boolit Master

Henry and Cowboy Action

Folks say that Henry lever rifles won't withstand wear and tear from cowboy action shooting. If this is true, can somebody explain why the Henry lever actions don't hold up with this type use?

I'm interested myself, to hear about this. I've not heard anything about it.
    BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets

Lead Alloy Calculator

Boolit Master
    I have not heard this either. I recently bought one in 357 and it seems like a heavy piece of steel. The barrel is very thick and the receiver is as well.

Boolit Master
    Folks say a lot of things..........
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Boolit Master

I used a Henry Big Boy my first year; if your going for speed it's not going to work because of the way it's made, 1873 is a better choice. If your going to shoot the match for fun and just competing against yourself the Henry will work.

I shot many a clean match with my Henry, but you have to use 357 cases loaded down to mouse fart rounds and don't loose your mine because the only difference in the cases is a tenth of an inch.

If you go over to the Sass Forum this Horse as been beat to death.

Boolit Master

Is your question about Henry Manufacturing rifles or the Uberti (and others) clone of the 1860 Henry repeater?

Boolit Master
    The modern day Henrys do not meet the specifications for N.C.O.W.S. shooting. Other than that, a Henry would be just fine and should hold up just as good as any other brand.

have shot them and don,t want one. to me their like a club compaired to other lever actions on the market and the cost is just about the same.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyd View Post
    I used a Henry Big Boy my first year; if your going for speed it's not going to work because of the way it's made, 1873 is a better choice. If your going to shoot the match for fun and just competing against yourself the Henry will work.

I shot many a clean match with my Henry, but you have to use 357 cases loaded down to mouse fart rounds and don't loose your mine because the only difference in the cases is a tenth of an inch.

If you go over to the Sass Forum this Horse as been beat to death.
    Best advice. Now, when you go there, you will need to decide two things. First, do you want to be competitive? If the answer is “yes”, how do you filter out the comments from the guys looking to shoot well, from the 90%+ who shoot for fun?

Back when I was into CAS, none of the top shooters were on this forum. If I was looking for good advice today, I would go the SASS sight, and PM Three Gun Cole. He is still active in CAS and I sold him a few of my CAS guns last year.

Tell him Don Verna (aka Coffin Filler) sent you. He is a good guy and great shooter.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Best advice. Now, when you go there, you will need to decide two things. First, do you want to be competitive? If the answer is “yes”, how do you filter out the comments from the guys looking to shoot well, from the 90%+ who shoot for fun?

Back when I was into CAS, none of the top shooters were on this forum. If I was looking for good advice today, I would go the SASS sight, and PM Three Gun Cole. He is still active in CAS and I sold him a few of my CAS guns last year.

Tell him Don Verna (aka Coffin Filler) sent you. He is a good guy and great shooter.
    Stopped shooting Cowboy about 10 years ago because Big and Closes got boring, Traded my Long Hunter 1873 for two GP100's, but kept the Henry and Rossi 92. I like the Henry to it's a good rifle.

Boolit Master
    I don't do CAS but I do have a Henry (modern). I shoot lots of ammo and have had continued problems with the transfer bar system they use. And-- if you are cycling fast the tip of the transfer bar doesn't always seem to get high enough to engage properly with the firing pin. Even if not shooting rapidly the tips of the transfer bars get beat up to the point you have fail to fire issues (for me, typically, every 2000 rounds or so).
    Hick: Iron sights!

I don't know much about most of the Henry rifles, I only own 3 and one is not a lever action.
    I have an AR7 survival rifle, and it works flawlessly, the original Armalite's I have been told had problems.
    Probably due to the magazines as they don't function in the Henry's reliably either. The Henry mags work great.
    As far as the Lever guns, I have two, a little .22 caliber and a .45-70 rifle.
    The .22 is a design in its own and the action is smooth as glass.
    The .45-70 is a solid rifle and judging from the photographs I have seen of the new Ruglins I don't see a lot of differences, except the Henrys are blue and the Ruglins are stainless.
    I have the H010X model, it had the plastic stocks, well that didn't last long, I fabricated a set of American walnut stocks, it made a gun I like to one I love.
    Hay, it doesn't have the stupid cross bolt safety either, it does have a transfer bar safety, but I see that as a plus.
    Why did I buy the Henry? Hard to find, but a lot less money than the Ruglin at the time, now not so much, I have seen the beautiful new Ruglins at a lot better price lately.
    I like the Henrys, but that is just me. It is great we have a choice.
    I do like the blued steel, but if I were out in the elements, the stainless steel would no doubt be better.
    Both are great guns and you can't go wrong with either one or any of the old originals.
    As far as clubs? wouldn't the old cave men love to have such a club?
    I have never done the Cowboy thing so I cannot comment on that.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyd View Post
    Stopped shooting Cowboy about 10 years ago because Big and Closes got boring, Traded my Long Hunter 1873 for two GP100's, but kept the Henry and Rossi 92. I like the Henry to it's a good rifle.
    Same reasons I stopped. Shoot for 20-30 seconds then wait an hour for the next stage.

But it is a cheap way to shoot with a lot of good folks
    Don Verna

I have not done it, but I would think it would be fun to watch the other contestants shoot.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by avogunner View Post
    Is your question about Henry Manufacturing rifles or the Uberti (and others) clone of the 1860 Henry repeater?
    Henry Manufacturing

Boolit Buddy
    The Henry big boy, 45 colt. It is accurate, Heavy, and slow. Trying to shoot one in CAS at speed is very difficult.
    Loading a round thru the ejection port is risky. The extractor is spring fit into the bolt and has a habit of departing the rifle if it hangs on a case. Fine rifles for a collection or hunting, plinking, but not well suited for speed. Loading thru the tube, ie, no loading gate is a pain as well.